Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Why do homeowners constantly how long a job will take?

Question

This is an irritating little dilemna I have, that I can't seem to figure out - it has to do with customers always quizzing me on how long the job will take? How do you approach this? I don't know if they are worried I will be there too long - or looking to see how much I am making 'hourly' off their back. I am little disturbed by this - should I answer their question with another question? Like - what are your requirements m'am? I don't want to answer - yeah I'll be in and out in an hour and btw - thanks for the $400.

I know we're all selling a service - I mean heck if you saw how fast a tree cutting crew can take down a 150 yr. old Silver Maple - you'd think you were paying them $800/man-hour. But they just figured out how to do a very tricky time consuming service extremely fast - and deserve the compensation. It has nothing to do with actual time.

17 answers to this question

One day to clean, one day to stain.

We'll have the whole house washed in one day.

They aren't asking you hours, they want to know when they can expect results. The biggest dilemma in the contractort versus homeowner saga is often the completion date. Answer with one of the above and it is unlikely they will question further.

I think some ask to find out if you can do it in 2 hrs and it costs $400.00.Then surly they can do it in 4 hrs and just buy their own machine.I had this happen before.When I explain that we will not be up on a ladder 30 ft from the ground washing their eaves like they will be.that turns some of em around.I also explain the cost of doing business and if we break something we fix it.

I never met this one homeowner - and she was thrilled over the phone as to how clean her home came out - and man was it tall, I had to climb an 8 foot step ladder and shoot with a 72" long lance with a 0040 to hit the top. And she was like - you must some real big ladders and stuff - which in fact I do - but not for washing. But it occured to me - the less homeowners know - the happier they are - it's when they start 'snooping' around and looking into our methods and how we do our business - that they start getting irate. I deliver results - what's more important than that?

Someone asked me how long I'll take just 10 minutes ago. Told them depends on exactly what process they buying and how long their finish choice takes between coats, etc...

But I like the "What are your requirements ma'm"...lol

Speaking of tree cutting...neighbor paid like $400 to remove about 15' of oleander. Crew of 3 guy showed up one day and cut it out and chipped it in no more than 10 minutes. Then they took 3 weeks until they came back to grind the roots out. That took another 10 minutes...

Proper tools can make quik work of things.

I do the same as Ken.. If they ask further I just state everyjob is unique in its needs and that we'll have a better feel when we get started as to how long it will take.

I do the same as Ken.. If they ask further I just state everyjob is unique in its needs and that we'll have a better feel when we get started as to how long it will take.

Same here....

Beth

I think there just being kinda nosy seeing how your doing it, and maybe just plain interested and asking "how long is it going to take" gives them an excuse into a convo with you. They don't want to just walk up on you like there "overseeing" you, afraid it might offend you they just want to see whats going on out of curiosity. Heck I do it when someones doing something for me here at the farm.

This is what I say too, or what Ken Fenner said.

People ask me that all the time. Mainly the ladies. They want to make sure your not doing over the course of a week like her husband did. Sometimes too they just want to make sure its not cutting into there sched. Like the lady who asked the other day this same Q. I have noticed though the ones who ask are running a tight sched and they are ladies. And I think they are willing to pay a higher price to get it done in just a few hrs. Another thing, if they do ask how long before you quote raise the price a little and fit them in asap. Most likely you will get the job. Anyway my $.02.

Dane

A guy told me once after getting a $4000 deck estimate (for a mess of a deck) that My materials should cost about $300, the wood another 200 and would take me only about 8 hours to complete the entire job. He said his lawyer doesnt get that much.

My reply: 'I used to be a lawyer until I realized how lucrative this business is."

I aggree with the above statements. Most people arent trying to find how much you charging per hour, just to see how long the inconvience is going to be.

Also it is their property, they really do not know you, and they have the right to ask how long you will be on the premises. It can be disruptive to have someone on your property, and people just want their lives back.

Beth

This is an irritating little dilemna I have, that I can't seem to figure out - it has to do with customers always quizzing me on how long the job will take? How do you approach this? I don't know if they are worried I will be there too long - or looking to see how much I am making 'hourly' off their back. I am little disturbed by this - should I answer their question with another question? Like - what are your requirements m'am? I don't want to answer - yeah I'll be in and out in an hour and btw - thanks for the $400.

I know we're all selling a service - I mean heck if you saw how fast a tree cutting crew can take down a 150 yr. old Silver Maple - you'd think you were paying them $800/man-hour. But they just figured out how to do a very tricky time consuming service extremely fast - and deserve the compensation. It has nothing to do with actual time.

I wanna know when your going to be out of my hair, the faster the better.

Maybe speed will have to become a 'selling' point in future marketing. At least this way it will pre-qualify homeowners that want to pay extra for this service. So I don't have to deal or worry about the hour 'counters' who want to know why I am making more than $15/hr.

If someone has a problem with what they percieve as your hourly rate tell them this.

" Sir or Ma'am I am self employed. I came here and gave you a free quote but I still had to pay for the gas to drive out here with no guarantee of work. If you hire me I will have to drive back again and use more gas at over $3/gallon to get here. My pressure washer also runs on gasoline that I have to pay for and if I am washing your concrete I will be using hot water which requires the use of diesel fuel at nearly $4/gallon.

Since I am self employed I have to pay all of my social security benefits because I have no employer to pay part of it so I am in effect taxed at a higher rate than you. Since we both know social security will probably not be around when I retire I also have to fund my own 401K or other retirement plan, once again with no employer match of any kind.

I carry one million dollars of general liability insurance to protect your property and my insurance company asks for payment each month whether I work or not. I also carry workers comp and that policy has to be paid in full, at the start of the new year.

The Yellow Book ad that you used to find me costs money, my website and other advertising costs money, my equipment costs money, and you certainly must realize that even though I work long hours much of that time is at my expense and not a customers. If you think x amount of dollars is going into my pocket you are mistaken."

People don't realize the expenses associated with a business even a small one.