Sign in to follow this  
jnoden

sealer on plants

Question

We always use canvas over the rail and I tell the guys to cover the plants around the deck and while they do use canvas on the railing they do not always cover the plants. Well we just completed a large 2nd story deck and the guys did not cover the plants so there is oil on the leaves of these vine type plants that are growing up the deck. the woman is upset and was told by a nursery that they will die because the leaves have an oil on them that is preventing them from breathing. I spent a long time spraying all the plants down with water but of course not all the oil is coming off. What are the chances that they will die? I think she is going to run me through the ringer if they do die. I wet them down good yesterday and today she called me to say that some of the leaves are beginning to turn brown. I am also returning to put a third coat of Ready Seal down on her floor boards (for free) because she thinks it needs more. customers.

19 answers to this question

Jim,

First mistake was agreeing to another coat of RS. Thats money out of your pocket. 2 coats are plenty, unless they want to pay for it. As for the plants, I wouldn't worry too much. I've gotten stain on all sort of plants, and they may lose some leaves, but they usually don't die. The big plant issue is with stripper, acid, or bleach.

Sounds like a general PITA homeowner. Just tell her that if the plants die, to call for replacement. But don't put up with a daily update.

It depends on how much of the plant is coated. I worked for a florist many, many, many, many (too many) years ago. If we are talking about a few leaves, then cut them off, feed and water the plant and it will grow. If all the leaves are coated and the stem is too, well, I have seen that kill a plat. Case in point, years ago we stripped a deck, and before we came back to seal, the lady's hubby who was critically ill, got a can of Thompsons and wen out with a pump up and sealed the deck and ALL the plants. They died. But they were pretty well coated. Vines I would be less concerned about, they may grow back but will not look good this year. Buy her another plant. It's the caring thing to do. Take the clippings of the dead oily leaves and show them to the employee and tell him that the next time, not only is the plant on him, but the apology is face to face with the client on his own time.

Beth

Dependent on the plant, if it loses the majority of its' leaves, it can die.

May seem contrary to common sense, but I would apply a light NaOH stripper to the foliage and rinse very well with very low pressure. This may remove any surface oil.

Have yet to kill plants with stripper if wetted before application and throughly rinsed.

Rick, do you think sodium percarb would be a better choice? I've never done this and would be hesitant to exacerbate the problem.

Stains will definitely pit and brown leaves but those are products that also contain VOC's. Not sure about RS.

You could try percarb, heck you could use common dish washing detergent too for that matter - degreaser is the key.

Mix up some dish soap, it's milder than the NaOH, and may tackle the grease better than a percarb will.

Beth

... Stains will definitely pit and brown leaves but those are products that also contain VOC's. Not sure about RS.

Ken,

Ready Seal will stay on foliage and potentially kill plants just as effectively as any other stains, acrylics included.

Percarb may work, just don't think it is as through in emulsifying oil.

Sounds like the customer knows someone didn't do what they were suposed to do and she's going to milk it for all it's worth. I agree with Rod about soaking it down again with dish soap and forget it. Don't let her tie you down with "free bee's" because she's going to beat you up just as bad if they do die. I'd just tell her that you'll drive by every few days and look at them and if they do die to give you a call. That is all you can do. If you do have to replace them tell her you'll give her 40% off a house wash (deal she can't turn down) and use the 60% to pay for chems and plants, out of her pocket not yours, LOL. Upsale upsale upsale!!!

That was me, I suggested the dish soap, but I never said forget it. I said, REPLACE THE PLANTS if they are that bad. Go LOOK at them. It's their property! It is in a lessor condition because an employee, who is an extension of your professionalism by the way, neglected to do something he was supposed to do? Please! Reprimand the employee. It's his fault you are in this place today! Make the customer happy - they paid you and trusted you to be careful on their property. They have every right to be upset! Also - did you tell them, as a part of your presentation that you protect things? This is an opportunity to KEEP a customer and to learn and grow.

Just fix it.

Beth

I didn't mean to literally forget it Beth, my point was to not get bogged down with a customer "milking" the situation or otherwise playing "gotcha!". Yea they have the right to get miffed "IF" they have a significant plant loss. I would assume that the customer was told that there very well might be some stress on some of the plant life in the immediate area due to the inherent risk of using toxic chems on the deck. That it doesn't happen often but IT DOES happen. I wasn't suggesting blowing the customer off, simply waiting until there IS a problem. Again, close a discounted a house wash, and send them a gift card to HD for the inconvenience (paid for by the house wash) and break even. Everyones' happy accept the employee who screwed it up and spent his day off doing the wash.

I went back to the customers house and there were a few leaves that were brown (which I pulled off) but Im sure and she feels confident that the plants will be fine. I cant really just replace her plants because like I said most of them are vine type plants and the others are mature and larger than what I could buy. I told her I will be back in two weeks to check on them again. They also got some overspray on a few things that I had to clean up and dripped stain on concrete when they rolled the deckster back to the truck and over the concrete. I had to lecture my guys and I think and hope they get the point now. They understand that next time they will be fixing it on their own time unpaid.

I'm tired of the word GREEN and GREEN that and GREEN this. I like Brown and DEad plants. I like to watch thing WILT then Droop and of course DIE !!!!

Only fooling of course.......

I have a liability waiver in my deck contracts that requires clients to "protect as they see fit" any climbing or trailing vines that share the deck or handrail surfaces. Its in the small print. I have never had to lean on it as we always do what we can to protect surrounding vegetation when we strip or spray sealer. I just embedded this disclaimer in order to protect us from the PITA client who swears that a few drops of RS will kill their vines in a week or two. Again, Ive been lucky enough never to have had to refer to it, but it certainly brings me comfort when Im all suited up spraying a deck with lots of surrounding plants...

Matt, yes that is long overdue in my disclaims..I am inspired to get right on it before next bid goes out.

Half the time though these plant situations are but situations of overgrown plants going neglected too long anyways and they could use a taming back..ya'll think? Can hardly get in there to do anything half the time..