Sign in to follow this  
Scott Stone

I found a deck in Mesa???

Question

I did, I found a deck in Mesa. There is a guy from my church that needs to have it done. It is pressure treated pine or fur. It looks like it has a red peeling paint or stain. Probably some type of paint. It needs a little bit of work, and is about 440 sq ft. This is not a paying job for me. I am just willing to help an old guy out to make it is something that will last a while.

He would really like it to be done in one day, and likes the look of cedar.

Anyone have a suggestion on methods and products?

24 answers to this question

It is Cedar Scott, Its painted because thats all that will make it last in the arizona SUN...

Strip it and paint in with the same stuff on it from HD.

Its not going to last long unless its in the shade.

My parents had to have a deck on there place in sunland villiage. It lasted awhile but Dad baby the thing every year.

I think its still standing. rails went bad first. Sun hit them everyday from the east.

Good Luck

LOL, the blind leading the blind. You guys need to stick to concrete.

Scott, that is a nightmare job most guys would run from. You can plan on three or four trips and a ton of sanding to try and get paint off of a deck. Your better bet may be to scrape off the loose stuff, apply some bleach and TSP, coat it with an oil based primer such as Cabot's Problem Solver and then do a topcoat (or two) with a latex solid stain. Its actually a high ticket item now matter how you do it but I understand you are not doing this one for profit. Just wanted to give you a heads up as to what you are getting into. Any chance of posting up some pics of it?

Scott....

Call us. We can help. Also, post a pic.

Beth

p.s. ground level decks are easy to do when there are no rails, but they are a failure waiting to happen if the ground contact is too close, which it may be if you are seeing a product failure there now.

I dont even want to go there. It will be a few days before I can get a pic. Seems it is our anniversary this week, so we are going out of town...To pick up our oldest son at school. And I thought Hawaii sounded good.

That's an easy deck. No rails. Barely anything on the wood. HD-80 at about 3 oz per gallon, let dwell, wash. Neutralize with ox or citric at about 6 per gallon. Let dwell, rinse rinse rinse.

Beth

Well, I would two step that to seal it. It's really dry.

1. Woodrich Timber Oil - apply liberally and come back the next day...

2. apply WoodTux as your protective coat.... (both are semi-transparent but have plenty of pigment) go with Western Cedar.

Revisit with a light percarb wash and maintenance coat annually.

Beth

Get a tip that drops your pressure down...if you don't have one already.

Use a 25 or a 40 degree tip.

Watch for start stop marks. Sweep - be careful not to go at it like you are taking off gum. Go with the grain.

Beth

p.s. no hot water.

I'd almost skip the woodtux step and just drench that thing twice a year with timberoil - until your satisfied that wood is totally filled with oils - then like 2-3 years down the road do a woodtux treatment.

Dan,

Baking in the hot, direct, AZ sun I have to say the Timber Oil alone will not cut it I don't think. I think it needs something above it to cure closer to the surface. He can still hit it with more Timber Oil down the road without taking off the Tux.

Beth

Actually the more I think about it - I have a really hot hot deck - that constantly is barfing up sap through the stain because it gets so hot. I would drench that deck with Cretowood - to totally petrify it on the inside - so no chance of sap oozing out like little volcanic activity - and then topcoat it with woodtux.

I would call mark in Chino valley and see what he thinks, 35 years and lives In AZ.

Ron,

Probably the largest and most successful exterior wood contractor in the U.S. to date. For all time. Mark is one amazing and fine fellow.