Sign in to follow this  
Mary Fallon

Help! I think I have wand marks!

I just had my cream color vinyl siding power washed by a professional. Now I have what I think are called "wand marks" all over the siding. They are wiggly marks about an inch or so in width that are darker in color than the siding. Is there anything that can be done to fix this?? Needless to say, I am very upset since I hired a pro to make sure it was done correctly. Now it looks worse than before I had it cleaned.

Thanks for any advice.

I just had my cream color vinyl siding power washed by a professional. Now I have what I think are called "wand marks" all over the siding. They are wiggly marks about an inch or so in width that are darker in color than the siding. Is there anything that can be done to fix this?? Needless to say, I am very upset since I hired a pro to make sure it was done correctly. Now it looks worse than before I had it cleaned.

Thanks for any advice.

CAN YOU POST SOME PICS.

Hi Mary,

We do have a homeowner section located here: DIY'ers - Ask The Pro's - Pressure Washing and Contractor Cleaning Forums - The Grime Scene

This section is primarily for contractor discussion. With that being said, welcome to the board. The person whom you hired use high pressure on your siding. That is an absolute no-no among true professionals. Unfortunately there are many companies out there that are little more than vandals. If you post some clear digital pictures we may be able to assess the extent of the damage.

As an alternative, there are probably some TGS members located in your region that can perhaps help you along. Unfortunately the damage, if it is extensive enough, may be irreversible. Was this company licensed and insured? Have you tried calling them back?

Mary,

Welcome to TGS. We are so sorry to hear you had a service performed that was substandard. As a consumer, now is the time to make yourself aware of your rights. The thought of wand marks on vinyl siding is not good. Without pictures ( please if you have a digital camera, post some here) it is hard to say, but you may have a case for new siding, as that kind of scarring may be irreversible.

I advise you to do the following:

1. read this link New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs
  2. if you have not paid the contractor - don't do it yet.
  3. if you have not seen a copy of their liability insurance, now is the time to get a copy. You may be filing a claim.
  4. if in NJ a home improvement license is standard, get a copy of that too
  5. Take photos of the damage, and hold up today's paper so you can see the date
  6. get another professional, power washing or a siding company - someone to come out and give you their professional opinion in writing about the work

Beth :cup:

It's probably oxidized and the darker wand marks are where the oxidation was removed and the original color is coming through. Probably needs re-done thoroughly to remove the rest of the oxidation.

Jeff

Sodium Hydroxide/Butyl mix down-streamed will allow for a low preesure rinse away of remaining oxidation.

Only morons are still blasting Vinyl with high pressure. Lack of chemical knowledge caused this hack to resort to high pressure to try to clean with.

Was the company uniformed? Modern Equipment? Professionally designed literature and Logo? Fully Insured with General Liability and Workers Comp? Was the Bill less than $400?

Here's your sign....

Removing the remaining oxidation may work of that is the culprit. However if the wand marks damaged the vinyl itself, it will still look like what it is - scarring. I am concerned that the marks are an inch wide....

Beth

Oxidation was removed in the darker areas, so the rest needs to be removed as well. There is a product called Restora still available that can help even the result a bit and there is a dealer in PA. who still carries it called ACR products. They have an ad on the main forums page if you need the number. I am only aware of this dealer having stock so if anyone knows of another source closer by, then please post.

It will require an 'experienced' Professional to conduct the service.

One thing I will remark upon is that the process would not involve high pressure necessarily. It can be done with low pressure and brushing which would provide a better result.

This is of course given that the siding was not physically damaged in the process. Otherwise, replacement is the only option.

Pictures would be extremely helpful.

Rod!~

Mary, does the siding feel rough when you run your hand over the areas where the wand marks are? In other words are the marks just visible, or can you FEEL the scarring - feel a difference in the siding?

Go check, and come back and post.

Beth

p.s. looks like a zero degree tip was used to me....

Hi Beth,

The siding has a wood grain effect, but there are a few small areas that are smooth between the grain effect that have wand marks, and I don't feel any roughness on them. It still feels smooth. My husband checked also and he agrees. Just discoloration.

If that is the case a proper cleaning MAY work, but it's hard to say if you will still see it. You'll know after the wash. If not, you have a very valid claim for new siding. I strongly suggest you talk to the State of NJ, follow the link I posted earlier and see what they outline as a course of action. One of our members here offered to come look.

Please let us know how this turns out. It is a shame to see damage like this on a home. I know I speak for many here when I say that striving for professional results is paramount, and we all have to combat the stigma associated with the type of contractor that has placed you in the situation you are in.

Beth

p.s. this might be a good link to browse as well... Home - VSI - The Vinyl Siding Institute

Cleaning - VSI - The Vinyl Siding Institute

I do have to agree, it does look like a 0 degree tip close to the siding, and yes, it does look horrible.

Like beth said however, follow the link she has posted, and you possibly might consider finding a contractor here on these forums.

There are many "professional" Pressure Washing companies out there, at least they claim to be, which is always a risk if they do not provide at least Licensing & Insurance.

I hope it all works out for you, and please keep us posted!

This cleaning was done Monday. I called the contractor Tuesday and he said he will come to take a look at it Saturday. We have already paid him. If he offers to reclean the siding to try to fix it, should we let him do it, or tell him no and call a different contractor to reclean it?

I'll call the NJ Division of Cconsumer Affairs tomorrow.

Thanks again to everyone for all the advice.

Ask NJ that question. If it were MY home, no way is he touching it again. (didn't get it right the first time, sorry - no more chances - he has no CLUE based on those photos how to wash a house) Ask NJ if a home improvement license was required and I am sure the liability is required. You will want to get proof of insurance, but talk to NJ before you ask for it. You don't want this guy to crawl under a rock and go POOF. See if they intervene or what...they may want a copy of the written paperwork between you and him, I know for a fact very specific things must be in writing. They may want you to correspond via registered mail, for example, that would not surprise me at all.

Beth

Mary I would give him a chance to rectify it, the reason the folks commenting here knew what this was is because it does happen every now and then (although yours is pretty bad). If he recommends any of the methods mentioned here he is on the right track.

Is he a licensed home improvement contractor? In NJ he is required to be, if he isn't and a complaint is lodged with NJDCA, the fines are pretty hefty. If the bill was over $500 he is also required to have you both sign a contract. NJDCA is 800 242 5846

The one thing I don't like is the waiting until Saturday thing. If I ever get a complaint I'm there personally that day or by the next morning.

I wish you luck, keep us posted.

One thing everyone need to keep in mind is that it is possible that those marks already existed on the siding, but did not become noticable until after the cleaning. I've personally experienced this myself. I've cleaned dirty siding, and when finished, and sometimes not until after it drys a bit, I notice the handy work of either the homeowner, or a past idiot contractor.

With that being said, even if it was this guy who damaged the siding, it would be very difficult to prove it in court. Hate to say it, but you may be out of luck on this one.

Don't bet on it Lance, NJ is one of the most consumer friendly states in the country. Issues like this consumers are allowed 'treble damages'.

That means that if the problem is fixable for $1000, the co may have to pay up to 3xs that amount ($3000) as punishment.

We don't all say "NJ HATES SMALL BUSINESS" for nothing!

I doubt it.

If the guy is insured, she has every right to a claim if it can't be removed by cleaning.....

A few years ago - 5 maybe - a roofing and siding contractor hired us to come wash siding, at the request of the insurance company, to see if there was actually hail damage or if the hail just scuffed the dirt. (the test for hail damage is water and light on siding looking for dings)

Long story short the siding cleaned beautifully, no dings. The Siding contractor was PISSED and tried to say we did damage by removing the dirt which showed where the hail hit ( I can hear you guys laughing) and he tried to make a case of it, which fell apart miserably. Insurance companies have adjusters for a reason, many states also protect consumers against this very thing. In MD for example you are required to have an MHIC License for what is deemed home improvement. MD has a fund that pays for damage like this, and in MD if you hire an unlicensed contractor you are entitled to A FULL REFUND ( from the unlicensed contractor) for every penny you spent, even if you are satisfied with the work, because of the licensing requirement. They are not licensed you don't have to pay!

I know of a company in NJ, that a few years ago did a cedar home. This person did a nice job. Very professional. The owner then contacted NJ Dept of Consumer affairs and got a FULL REFUND - because there was not a begin and end date as required BY LAW on the paperwork. In that case the contractor felt he was set up on purpose. Hard to say, I really don't know any more about it.

The state of NJ has some teeth, just like MD does.

Now I will admit it never crossed my mind that the marks were pre-existing (read that as taking people at face value) so my next question will be, has the house been washed before? How long ago? Do you have photos of the home from prior years?

Beth

We bought the house from the original owners in 1996. At that time the siding was already on it. It was fairly new though, so I don't believe the first owners ever washed it, and we have never washed it before either. I know the marks were not there before this cleaning. I have pics of the house of course, but probably not close up enough to show that the siding was undamaged. Never anticipated this problem so didn't think to take close ups so most photos are at a distance. I'll have to go through my pics and see what I can find.