Sign in to follow this  
rj242

It rained on my deck?

Question

I am so mad. I took a chance and sealed a deck today with Sherwin Williams oil based natural tone sealer. There was a 20% chance of rain, and I looked at the regional radar and it was clear. Well just as I was finishing the deck, we had a rain shower. Probably rained 3-5 minutes, just enough to cover the area with water. Some of the deck had been sealed for probably 3 hrs. I had to roll the first portion of the deck due to the wind, and had started spaying it, about half way though.

The directions on the can, said it needed to air dry for 24hrs before rain. It was a 90+ degree day with about a 20mph wind blowing. The wood took the sealer very well, as it was three years old and never sealed. I cleaned it two week ago.

What should I expect in the morning?

11 answers to this question

I've had that happen using Oly Max Toner. The only problem were a few water spots where the water had beaded and dried. A light sand and recoat was all that was needed.

That's happened to me twice in the last week. I'd like the weather mans job. You can be wrong most days and still get full pay.

Man, you east coasters have it rough with that rain issue! Never realized how lucky we are out here in California in the summer... I think I've had to deal with the rain issue twice in the last 3 years. hope your deck survived that ordeal!

Matt,

The East coast is not so bad. We do not have earthquakes, home eating wildfires, and a history of wackiness.

LOL. Thats good stuff, Rick. I think this whole country has a history of wackiness.... in one way or another. I always chuckle a bit when folks from the east coast mention earthquakes... Like I've said before, I'll take a good rumble every 15 or so years over that humidity and that nasty east coast winter of yours! :) Ya' know, in all seriousness, Im not a BIG advocate of life in California...too damn expensive and overcrowded for my tastes. I prefer a nice rural setting surrounded by a few hundred acres of pristine wilderness... tough to make a living out there though... Lots of nice areas up in N.Calif... Rambling... Seems like everyone I meet around here is originally from the east coast! And they are all terrified of the next big earthquake... cracks me up. people are funny.

I don't know - NC isn't looking real good right now with the state burning and no rain where it's needed! Central NC is making the "dr$%&*t" noises again.

Same here Celeste - many fires around the area to the extent that we came home from Aruba last week and had to show proof of residence due to a 4k acre fire burning down the street from us.

If that is not enough, yes the drought word has been on the lips of many out here. I have been talking with Mark from Easy Cleas on a regular basis and I have had contractors call throughout the state expressing their fears and apprehension of what "may" come as it relates to water restrictions. Seems like Calif. is on the verge of experiencing what you folks experienced down in the Southeast.

Factor in the above with a less than "robust" economy has put some business owners on the edge for the first time.

The hits just keep on coming!!!

Edited by newlook

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I just got back from looking at the deck, and it looks great. I think I saw two water spots, and I will sand them down like John suggested. Man I was lucky.

Thanks Again!

LOL. Thats good stuff, Rick. I think this whole country has a history of wackiness.... in one way or another. I always chuckle a bit when folks from the east coast mention earthquakes... Like I've said before, I'll take a good rumble every 15 or so years over that humidity and that nasty east coast winter of yours! :) Ya' know, in all seriousness, Im not a BIG advocate of life in California...too damn expensive and overcrowded for my tastes. I prefer a nice rural setting surrounded by a few hundred acres of pristine wilderness... tough to make a living out there though... Lots of nice areas up in N.Calif... Rambling... Seems like everyone I meet around here is originally from the east coast! And they are all terrified of the next big earthquake... cracks me up. people are funny.

Matt,

I graduated from the University of Denver 33 yrs. ago with a degree in geology. Earthquakes scare me. Especially the Bay area. It is a geographical location just ticking like a time bomb, with disaster a day or millenium away.

Still, a beautiful area. Unfortunately, it has become crowded. Last time I was out there the traffic was worse than LA.

North of San Francisco is some of the most beautiful country and coastline in the US.