Sign in to follow this  
rwhat

SIKKENS vs TWP

Question

I am currently getting ready to start a deck job, and the homeowner had some other contractors telling that SIKKENS was better than TWP as TWP will let the deck rot after 7 mos. Now twp has a manufacturer warranty 1-2 yrs? I am wandering which is actually better, I have never used SIKKENS, always use twp...please any info would be greatly appreciated.

16 answers to this question

Sikkens SRD and TWP will need touch ups in about a year.

Have not yet had the opportunity to perform maintenance on TWP. SRD on the other hand have had loads of maintenance exp with it and can say that horizontals will be the main focus. Verticals may need cleaning but will still be much more intact.

We have been watching TWP on our deck horizontals this year and already noticing it fade in the high traffic areas but still holding up well in the areas under furniture as one would expect. duh. We'll see how it looks come spring.

Rod!~

Not sure what sikkens product, as the contractor never told customer. I will check this again this evening and compare all the post pros and cons. I wanna thank everyone ahead of time for the response. I have never used sikkens and have never seen it sold in Missouri, I figure it may not be all that great if you cannot find it!

I am currently getting ready to start a deck job, and the homeowner had some other contractors telling that SIKKENS was better than TWP as TWP will let the deck rot after 7 mos. Now twp has a manufacturer warranty 1-2 yrs? I am wandering which is actually better, I have never used SIKKENS, always use twp...please any info would be greatly appreciated.

TWP has my vote over Sikko's. Nothing will rot wood after 7 months. How old is the wood now and is it rotten ?

Hey guys, been a while...

I had a home owners contractor was going to stain a new deck with this SIKKENS Cetol Marine Wood Finish

He told me it was the same thing they put on boats and docks and would last 5 yrs.

I never heard of this product until today.

Are they a product they apply to boat and docks that are suitable for a new deck?

We have used TWP and Sikkens a little this year, TWP is so much easier to work with and easy to restain in a couple years, Sikkens can come out very patchy and show many imperfections in the wood compared to TWP. I will never touch Sikkens again, many HO's around here still think it is the best stain and drives my crazy. I had to resand a deck last week that was stained with Sikkens SRD cedar because came out patchy and crappy and ended up restaining with Readyseal, I heart readyseal!!!!

Not a big fan of Sikkens here either... the SRD can turn out a nice looking deck but the application is alot more finicky than Armstrong. We just stripped down a sikkens deck done three years ago yesterday and removing it's more difficult than the others as well.

I think a major point in understanding woodcare is how to maintain what you put down and what it takes if you do understand this point. Once you go beyond a certain point with products like SRD they have to be removed. I know all of the products I use can easily be maintained and if a customer chooses to go in a different direction there will not be an issue . Actually a benefit ! I know this because I have had health issues which have led people to go in different directions with their wood care and some just didn't do anything until they called to see if I was ok ( this year). All of the finishes had to be stripped and very difficult to correct. All of the finishes let go where a breeze and still had oil in the wood, most from 2005.

Edited by James