Sign in to follow this  
HotShot

Congrats President (elect) Obama

Question

I would like to congratulate Obama on his victory tonight. We threw a lot of mud around with each other during this election year, but I think at least most of us agree that we want the best for our country. I hope that Obama governs from more of the middle of the road than his talking points lead to believe. I disagree with A LOT of what he "says" he plans on doing, but he's still my president and he will have my respect for that alone.

51 answers to this question

*virtual handshake offered*

Now lets all get to work and make some money so we can give it to the jerks that are too lazy to work....hahahahh...just kidding

Amen to that! Virtual handshake accepted. Now can we go get a beer!!!!??

LMAOF...Yea I too can offer congrats but as for considering him my prez.. noway no how for now.

Why I LMAOF you ask?... cause I never seen so many brainwashed, happy people falling over crying about electing someone that has not even yet been proven eligible for the office. What a rediculous circus.

Kevin, Jeff and Matt...I'm curious why you guys think McCain lost. Please keep it civil.

My opinion is this: I don't think McCain was the person that conservatives like myself were looking for. It was very hard to get fired up about McCain in this election. He's not conservative. I think we got off track to what we normally and historical stand for which is less gov't spending, less gov't intrusion etc... Just my take, what do you guys think?

The nation has spoken and so it is....

Ant - Your first post here is why you will always have my respect brother. I agreed and disagreed with you silently throughout this election but at the end of the day you and others that have spoken on this subject only wanted what was best for the this country.

You know if you ever come north on I-5 - you are always welcomed at the crib!

List of why McCain lost:

1. Sarah Palin, many attacked her experience level very effectively

2. Age, many were afraid because of the age of McCain, and the potentiality of his premature demise

3. The McCain Bush ties. Obama tied them together masterfully, even though many of his points were just not true.

4. The Iraq war. Face it, it is a subject that is very polemic. Too many people that were feeling that the Iraq war was the reason for the US economic difficulties. There are a lot of people that want the US out of Iraq no matter what the cost. They did not pay attention to Obama wanting to send all the troops to Afghanistan, a potentially much more dangerous environment, with a far higher casualty rate.

5. Money. Obama was able to get a ton of money that he used to buy a lot of advertising with. He also did not participate in public financing, which erased a lot of constraints that are placed to maintain a level playing field.

6. Racism. There were a LOT of people that were afraid to vote against him because they did not want to be painted as racist.

7. The under 30 set. Too many people that had not ever voted before, because of age, were very effectively rallied to go out to vote and gave an additional leg up.

And I am really glad that the democrats did not get a super majority in the senate. That means they will at least have to make an effort to listen to the republicans, to curtail the filibusters.

Just out of curiosity, I am wondering, as an open question, what the first campaign promise that Obama backs away from will be?

Edited by Scott Stone

Ant, Haven't seen the numbers but I suspect McCain lost because Obama was able to get a larger amount of new voters to vote for him...lol. Can't say whether the popular vote indicates a landslide but I think so far it doesn't.

The early media charisma & money spent, wanting change whether good or bad, people wanting war over at any cost, transferance of Bush's economy upon McCain, and too much of lower class wanting the government to give or literally provide more for them HAD MUCH to do with a Obama win.

That said, I have to give it up to my wife and her ideas why. She is very smart lady...Her idea is that besides him being an excellent speaker, the tele show 24 is the reason. People first saw a warm, calm, compassionate, and smart television president that listened to Jack and it opened a doorway to gain the white vote is what I assume she meant. :)

Right-on Ant. We're all brothers (and sisters) on this ride and want what we think is best for everyone and our country. Your statement caught me a little off guard, but thinking about it, it shouldn't have. New respect. But mostly I'm just jealous you have all those cats running around to shoot by the bushel. We had pheasants like that years ago, now it's hardly worth buying the license. Skeet shooting costs to much to be serious about.

I just don't think McCain was himself through this whole ordeal, like the man I thought he was most of his career and during his run in 2000. I think many more would have approved of that man, I know I would have had to think twice about him. I was surprised to see a stat about the effect his age actually did have. Peace

Kirk

McCain did not seem to have any fire or passion about what he could do for this country. His speeches were uninspired and lead me to believe we did not have a man of vigor wanting to lead the country.

Obama's delivery got better as he campaigned. he told the people what he would do, he (and McCain) did not tell the people that Congress actually controls the purse strings. I kept waiting for Obama to tell us what the payment for all the free stuff was going to cost and where the money was going to come from.

I like Mr. Stone, wonder what & when his first promise hits the trash can.

I hope I get my free money quickly, before my taxes go up to pay for all the free stuff.

America chose hope over fear. Simple as that.

You see Hope over Fear....I see Style over Substance. Obama is very articulate and very charismatic...very hard to go against.

Kevin, Jeff and Matt...I'm curious why you guys think McCain lost. Please keep it civil.

My opinion is this: I don't think McCain was the person that conservatives like myself were looking for. It was very hard to get fired up about McCain in this election. He's not conservative. I think we got off track to what we normally and historical stand for which is less gov't spending, less gov't intrusion etc... Just my take, what do you guys think?

There were many factors. Bush was most of the problem and what people saw of McCain goig to the right His campaign was really all over the place. the economy screwed him, he did say a few times several months ago that the fundamental of the economy was strong. Phil Grahmn his lead economic guy said we are all whiners. His choice of Palin hurt a lot I think, it was a kind of crazy pic because he seemed to just pick a name out of a hat, looked like a ploy to just get a women on the ticket any women and she was to far right for many women. The4 Conservative yes weren't for him, but I would like to see his #'s , a lot of Republicans came out and voted. Plus Obama had a lot more money. I also t

The two top things I think that hurt him most was the Palin pick and economic perceived policies of the right. I really believe people wanted change and a 72 year old man that has been in politics forever and who was tied to Bush, no matter what his name was, was going to have a tough time getting elected. He just didnt look like change to most

I think if he put Romney on the ticket he would of had a lot better chance

I really hope Obama trys to bring in republicans, its the only way he will succeed. We are not all going to be happy with everything he does, but if he does it with really trying to work with republicans I am all for him.

McCain did not seem to have any fire or passion about what he could do for this country. His speeches were uninspired and lead me to believe we did not have a man of vigor wanting to lead the country.

Obama's delivery got better as he campaigned. he told the people what he would do, he (and McCain) did not tell the people that Congress actually controls the purse strings. I kept waiting for Obama to tell us what the payment for all the free stuff was going to cost and where the money was going to come from.

I like Mr. Stone, wonder what & when his first promise hits the trash can.

I hope I get my free money quickly, before my taxes go up to pay for all the free stuff.

I voted Obama ..surprise surprise But I hope some of his promises do hit the trash can. You can't do everything you promise in a campaign and if he does he will get much of nothing done

I want a roads program and energy program. Everything on energy do it, fix all the roads & bridges and there will be PLENTY of decent paying jobs for a few decades. I feel you put middle class to work you will always have a strong economy and America.

I hope Obama picks a couple things that are good for the country like above, works hard to get a non partisan vote and have them passed and I will be happy and won't much care if he doesn't get all his promises passed

I am hoping for the best, he better do a good job or the Dems will help kick him out in 4 years. We want change, real good change. He better not be a slacker

The first election I actually cared about was in 1976. People were fed-up with Nixonian politics and voted for change - at any cost. I pray that the change we get this time will not take too many years to recover from. Backlash voting can be dangerous - in either direction.

Ant - the majority of voters are working stiffs that don't own their own company. And in the big states such as Ohio and Pennsylvania - where McCain really needed a win - he was met by a populace with record unemployments. Lets not forget - loads of job are going overseas - and despite what many think - the republican party has been making it very easy for them to do this. I am not sayng McCain was one of those republicans - but he got tied down with party affilitation.

My opinions on why McCain lost. The Republicans had the presidency and both houses 8 years ago. The conservative base was completely charged up and ready to see the country lead in a conservative direction. The republicans basically told their base to grab their ankles and proceeded to spend the country into oblivion.

In the mid terms they lost seats in both houses and basically had their heads handed to them on a platter. They didn't get the message. Then Bush and McCain both backed immagration reform. Another platform their base strongly objected to. Then they nominated as their presidential candidate a RINO. Another insult to the base.

True conservatives no longer consider themselves republicans. The ones who cast votes for McCain did so more to vote against Obama, not to vote for McCain. They had their chance to run things and failed miserably. They deserve what they got.