Sign in to follow this  
James

Defective Pressure Hose

Question

Has anyone had the experience dealing with defective hose? If you have how long did it take to determine it was the HOSE and not all the things that connect to the hose or your machine ect.... ?

17 answers to this question

I have not had fitting blow off but I have had a hose that after 6 weeks blew holes in the length at different places. It had a smooth jacket and 1 wire. It was a deal but now it is out of service.

If you had fitting blow off, the hose was incorrectly rated. ie; 3000psi hose rated at 4000psi.

Rod!~

Well i was cleaning a exhaust system and right near the crimped area it just blew.I am lucky it blew away from me then towards.It blew near the trigger end.Lucky i had a back up hose.I tried this grey hose that was wrapped no name brand.Dont get that one get the Goodyear neptune one from there if you get them there.I went to them with the hose and showed them. they gave me the goodyear and the grey wrapped off brand one they dont sell no more Funny huh.I could of got burned really bad cant mess up this hansomness lol.

I have not had fitting blow off but I have had a hose that after 6 weeks blew holes in the length at different places. It had a smooth jacket and 1 wire. It was a deal but now it is out of service.

If you had fitting blow off, the hose was incorrectly rated. ie; 3000psi hose rated at 4000psi.

Rod!~

I was using my 1250psi and it blew near the fitting there.First for me.But for just in case i got a screw on fitting for back up as well just in case my back up fails.When you work at night you need all the back up you can get.Anyways you cut hte hose below the bad push the fitting on and tighten the haeck out of it need thing just to have around.If i can remember i will take a pic of it so you see what i mean.

Marko

Marko, what was going wrong that you knew it was defective?

I had the Fittings blowing off the ends of the hose !

I think the problem was inproper crimping to loose or they over crimped it and caused that area to be weak.Off brands are just no good and i wont trust them anymore.I am only going with goodyear.Or some other name brand,but name brand.

Marko

Always, always, always, carry at least 1 extra hose. A repair costs about $10, so a blown hose, when you can immediately replace it, is no big deal. I try to carry at least one or two extras of almost everything - including a pw. I pull an 8 gpm/3000psi trailer, but carry a 5.5/2600 portable - just in case. Fittings, o-rings, supply hose. I even carry extra back flow preventer's as well as the tools to replace one. I usually charge $25 to repair. I had one customer have me replace all of his - the noise and leaks drove him nuts and a plumber wants crazy money. For me, its self defense - I don't want to spend extra time waiting for my tank to fill. Plastic and brass replacemnts run $4 to $5.

Always, always, always, carry at least 1 extra hose. A repair costs about $10, so a blown hose, when you can immediately replace it, is no big deal. I try to carry at least one or two extras of almost everything - including a pw. I pull an 8 gpm/3000psi trailer, but carry a 5.5/2600 portable - just in case. Fittings, o-rings, supply hose. I even carry extra back flow preventer's as well as the tools to replace one. I usually charge $25 to repair. I had one customer have me replace all of his - the noise and leaks drove him nuts and a plumber wants crazy money. For me, its self defense - I don't want to spend extra time waiting for my tank to fill. Plastic and brass replacemnts run $4 to $5.

I agree you have to have back ups for the back ups and tools to tak ecare of it too.

Marko

John, I have all the back up stuff that keeps me going. I never ran into defective hose before. It seems , I blamed everything else except the Hose. Which I bought and didn't use for about a half a year and took me another 6 months to narrow down the issue. I have 2 100 foot sections that drove me nuts !!

I've rarely had a problem with Northern hoses (they're made by Goodyear, not Northern) but I have had issues with hoses purchased from vendors on various bbs's. ALL have made good - including Northern - which didn't have to ship me a replacement. Having several in the 'hood is really convenient.

P.S. Spell checker is really great when typing responses on bbs's while high on prescription drugs! lol (Doc has me alternating between 2 Vicodin 7.5 and 2 mg Dilaudid [sp?].) :lgbounces

Normally i buy the goodyear hose from northern.And hadn't had problems out of it.They had one time this no name wrapped hose instead of smooth and thats the one that failed.It was about 25.00 cheaper.Never again on no names.I like the goodyear and it is proven by my end.Had good service out of goodyear.That no name they dont sell at our northern no more.

Marko

Edited by cleanhoods

I've never had one blow in the middle but I have had 3 or 4 hoses break at the ends. Each time I've found the area to be rusty. I guess the rust from the fitting weakens the hose just enough to cause failure. They can be repaired for 10 dollars or so.

Early this year I had 100's & 100's of feet over 1800 feet of The gray neptune 4000 psi go bad. It was a crappy batch. Some had pin hole leaks in it after 1 day to a few weeks other blew within a couple to few months. I was pissed I got a bunch free 1000ft and that still got pin holes or blew out within weeks to months. I don't use it anymore and use the blue 4500 and have had no problems

If fitting are blowing off definitly a bad crimp

Unless you run a low pressure type application (1500-2000 psi) you should always buy a 2 wire hose. They will usually last 2 times as long as a single wire hose.

The two wire gives you just that, two wire braids, one over the other for added protection and strength. When you take a hose and drag it over a corner or make a twist too tight you create a stress point that can cause a wire strand to break. this weak point is where the hose ends up blowing. With a two wire hose the two layers create a much stronger encasement and it is much more difficult to break these wires, Even if you break some of the 'outer' wire braid you still have a 'inner' braid offering the protection.

Sure it may weigh a bit more but you really only have a few feet hanging behind you but the cost-benefit is well worth the investment.

Jeff, the bad crimp issue was what I thought but it only happened to the 2 sections of hose I was having difficulty with. Others I had crimped were fine. I was HOSED !!

We were just washing a large house (estate) last week and had a 100' hose blow in the middle. Luckily we brought extra with us. It was a Goodyear single wire twisted hose.

Now it's a dead hose.

New hoses in the spring!

Beth