Sign in to follow this  
starter dave

Gorilla vs Little Giant ladders

It depends on how you are using them. I have a little giant step ladder that I think is the greatest thing out there, but, it cost $200, 8 years ago. Little Giant ® Safety Step Stepladder by Little Giant Ladder ® They are cheaper now. I hope that they are as sturdy.

As for regular A Frame and extension ladders, I prefer the Werner Fiberglass.

Edited by Scott Stone

I am going to assume you are asking about the Little Giant knockoffs made by the companies you mentioned. I have a Werner and its been great. The only thing I cannot give you is a direct comparison in weight because I have never had my hands on a Little Giant brand.

Here is a youtube video of a comparison of 2 combination ladders.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J38uFtdK9pA]YouTube - My window cleaning tools, reviewed. Part 2[/ame]

I have the Cosco(300lb) multi ladder and I think it's great. Home Depot has Gorilla(250 lb.) version on sale right now for $90. But it sounds like you have enough reach with the ladders you already have.

Edited by Ogden

Costco one shown in video is not the one I bought from them here. Same look but has different hinge and extra 5th step...goes to 21' extension or 9.5' A frame of various angles, or makes a mini scafold. Safety First might be the actual brand. Last I looked they now carry the Little Giant brand though and although it is more versatile I don't know that it is as sturdy as the one I got when in it's extension ladder format. Never had pleasure to test out but they look flimsier anyways to me.

Only other ladder I need for deck work that happens to get used most is a little 6' Werner step ladder from Lowes...has the big plastic steps that make it easy to turn around and shoot stain from. Between that, my height, and extension wand I can get underneith of most any pergola, porch, or two story deck. Constant moving of a heavier combo one around under the raised works is a pain compared to the little step type.

Dave, I would still recommend a taller A frame. Get yourself one of those Little Giant type adjustables. They are very stable and you can adjust one side to compensate for hills. In addition, those ladders can break off into two smaller A-frames that you can plank. For the $200 bucks or so they are a great investment.

I am going to pose another suggestion based upon the trials I have had with convertible ladder systems.

We have an older aluminum version of this which has been a terrific aid in working on different heights that an extension ladder is unsuitable for.

Werner Ladder

The problems I have had with multi-fold ladders and the little giant systems comes from the uses in which we subject them to that creates problems and makes them more frustrating to use.

They get more clunky from exposure to sealants, blasting grit and sanding debris which gets into the joints and mechanisms making them difficult to use or even fail to work at all.

I have 2 multi-fold ladders (12' and 16') that have become too difficult to unfold and position and they rest more than they are used.

I have had the distinct advantage of a couple of customers who were so proud of their little giant ladders that they insisted we try them on the job site and was later disappointed when they were easily foiled by grit from our blast process and became difficult to extend and use.

I cleaned them out and applied some WD-40 to remedy the situation but it was an insight into the ladders incompatibility. With the price tag each carries, it's not worth it. We have used Werner Ladders, stabilizers and racks instead due to the simple design and ease of use without the problems associated with our work.

I do recommend these two accessories:

Werner Ladder - Accessories

Cool Tools: Ladder Levelers

Rod!~

Hmmm, I have not had the same experience with the adjustable A-frame/extension ladders. I have two of them and they are covered in stain, regularly recieve doses of stripper and acid and sometimes bleach. Both are kept on the trucks year round and exposed to elements. One is newer but the three year old one has never been oiled and operates the same way as the day I bought it. I'm guesstimating but I am confident in saying it has been involved in at least 150 projects.

Hmmm, I have not had the same experience with the adjustable A-frame/extension ladders. I have two of them and they are covered in stain, regularly recieve doses of stripper and acid and sometimes bleach. Both are kept on the trucks year round and exposed to elements. One is newer but the three year old one has never been oiled and operates the same way as the day I bought it. I'm guesstimating but I am confident in saying it has been involved in at least 150 projects.

To provide a little insight in to that, the ladders I spoke of are at least 8 years old and have gone through multiple cleanings and have seen in the estimate of about 500 jobs each.

They have joints that no longer function properly ie locking or allowing extending without the confidence the unit is actually locking into place. My crew and I have deemed them unsafe in the 'A' frame position and only use them in the fully straight configuration.

I have 2 smaller step ladders, one of which is the one I mentioned in my previous post that converts from an 'A' frame to straight. The other is just a 4' step ladder that we use to clamp plastic underneath a deck and so forth where extension ladders are just too long for the job.

I think it is the term of their service life under the heavy use that they have been used has been exceeded.

I'm thinking of recycling them but man I wish I could turn them in for recycling cash. I'm talking a case of Dr. Pepper now! :)

Rod!~

I have two LG's one I've had for over 15 years a 12 foot A frame and a 17 FT A frame I bought about 6 years ago. They are awesome ,versatile and the most stable A frame to work on.

The other is just a 4' step ladder that we use to clamp plastic underneath a deck and so forth where extension ladders are just too long for the job.

I feel yer pain..

Here is the little one I use:Werner at Lowe's: 3-Step Project Ladder With Platform

Reasons I like it: small and lite for under pergola, A frame shape gets you closer than standard A frames, large step allows for maneuvering without slipping off. Paint shelf and how close it gets to wall is good for taping, stapling, clamping (or what have you), as well as brushing the trim in a straight on position. I don't care for standing sideways on my larger combo ladder.

Edited by MMI Enterprises

I was unhappy with the way the pins on the Gorilla rusted. When that ladder was stolen, I bought a costco at Sams club. Great price and lighter than the gorilla, but it is also starting to show rust on the pins. Guess no ladder can handle Florida.