Sign in to follow this  
Aplus

Removing Bird Droppings

Question

Today I go out to stain a deck that I had washed three days ago. Well, the birds had been very busy, there had to be at least 20 droppings all over the deck! If our pilots in Iraq could bomb a bunker as accurately as those birds straffed this deck, the war would be over already.

If you asked me what the thing I dislike the most about deck restoration, cleaning up bird droppings would have to be up there.

So I whip out my spray bottle of Simple Green along with some paper towels, and attempt to clean off 20-some spots. Usually this works very well. Notice the word "usually". Today, the stuff was like dried latex paint. Dang.

I had to let the spots dry, and then sand with an 80grit sanding block.

Anybody have movement removing advice? How do others do it? I hope there isn't somebody out here that stains right over the droppings.

22 answers to this question

Tony,

I usually stain or seal right over them. I just tell the customer that it adds a "natural" characteristic to the deck! LOL

I usually use a small "toothbrush" size wirebrush for the hard to remove bird droppings as well. I agree they are a pain in the butt. I guess the birds do not realize that after we clean a deck the overhead area is a No Fly Zone!

I just invented the POoPinateTor. You put this device next door to your house and they crap their... Commming soon

Steel Wool Dipped in the oil your using. This works very well

Jim,

I use the "Crap Trap", it is a bucket with a target on it for the birds to hit. The bird that gets the closest gets a free bird house. All participating birds get free bird seed. After the work is complete you remove the disposable bag from the "Crap Trap" and put in trash. All non-participating birds are disposed of with the old fashioned shotgun.

Looks like the economy IS turning around what with all the deposits being made on my truck and Tony's decks!

I of course, have employed Tony's method of poop removal, but I will try D.J.'s suggestion today (if there's poop on the decks).

Boy now I'm starting to wonder with all that Bird Droppings on the deck. Tony the day you were cleaning did you get hit, you must have ? Are you just not telling us? Just joking LOL

We use 3M stripper pads or remnant defelting pads.

I'm anxious to see how the 17 year locust will play out this year.

Last time it was not bad at all, but 34 years ago it was a nightmare as you couldn't walk on sidewalks since they were literraly covered from edge to edge with them.

Ahhh, how lucky we are in the mid-west (tornados and locust)!

Tony,

I use the stainless steel pool brush. Doesn't take much elbow grease to get them up. Mind you, that not all of the outer ring from the stain will come up, but most of it will and I am like Everett, I stain over it. If they sh*t on it once, they'll do it again.

Reed

Why is it the customer doesn't mind if they doody on top of the fresh sealant, but they do mind if you seal over the doody? Brush-n-seal. Several years ago Rod sealed over one that had a doody on it, and the customer didn't like it, so we started brushing them off, or sanding them if you run into Super Bird and his steel pellets.

Dave,

Actually, I think the reason there was so many droppings is because of the overhead metal frame structure that supports an awning which covers the deck. Here in Michigan, this style awning is usually removed in the fall, and reinstalled in the spring, and since the frame skeleton was visable with the awning off, well it made conveniant spots for the birds to stop and read the newspaper.

I appreciate all the tips, and I'm glad we were able to have a little fun with this.....:)

This thread needs reviving after today's experience! This photo is one of over a half dozen "splats" we had to deal with on our current Ipe project. Regular birds will never seem to be an issue again - LOL.

Note the size of the pelican poop next to Celeste's size 7 shoe!

post-1493-137772170057_thumb.jpg