Sign in to follow this  
jeffex11

A week of rain!

Question

No chance to stain with all this rain. I washed a deck thursday and am in a holding patern trying to get it stained. Now this hangs over my head trying to book new work and start other scheduled jobs. As an added bonus I have a lawn business that works well with this business but it is a mess with all this rain. I guess thats why GOD made beer! I've learned over many ears of this that you just do what you can and keep your customers up to date with a call. I feel like a city farmer waiting for the rain to stop so I can harvest my "crop". I'm glad for the rain but a few pokes of sun would help too.

20 answers to this question

Jeff,

This has been one of the toughest early seasons, weatherwise, that I can remember for exterior wood here in the Northeast. Very wet and cold through most of April then wham, 90 F. on the 23rd and close to that for the next 3 days. It was like we had no spring.

One night in either the 2nd or 3rd week of April, had to bring the PW's and some pumps inside the house one night as it got down to 25 F. and was not going to re-winterize just for one night.

Prepped a couple of small jobs over the weekend and have a large, tough strip scheduled for today. With heavy rain forecast, I'll push it back until tomorrow. Its a good time to catch up on estimates and paperwork.

Guy's, this isn't anything compared to last year for me. Try 3 straight months of rain then start to complain. This is why I hate wood care and I hate the 4 new decks I picked up over the weekend and the 3 I have waiting to be sealed. LOL. Yesterday, the weather MAN said; the rain was only going to graze the coast of CT. So I went to an area an hour North and it poured most of the day .

I have 60 decks (18 new, the rest maintenance) to try and get done for May. I can't believe I am sitting here on the computer. Someone please make it stop.

We are all in that same boat....bleeding sealer - and money!

Effing rain!!!!!!!! Just please stop!!!!!!!!

Beth

Im feeling the paint too. I was a little behind before this week started and I think I slighlty over booked for the next couple weeks. Definately forsee weekend work. I need to find some better rain gear for my guy since he is apparently too good for the Captain Gordons yellow rain gear. Plus pants keep ripping. Any suggestions?

can I put on a neoprene suit, mask and snorkle and charge more for "underwater " work?

Jeff,

Don't laugh. About 4 yrs. ago did a job where some of the balustade was about 10" from the side of a pool. Water was about 65 F.

Though you cannot see it, wore the bottoms of a 3/8" wetsuit and booties. Would have used the drysuit but did not want to get any stain on an expensive DUI.

here is my plan to finish a deck I washed last thursday. the floor and top of railings are timber tech. I will stain the pressure treated railings and frame on thursday morning and put plastic over the railings to be removed in 24 hours. thunderstorms are forcast for thurs evening and this may get this job finished as the floor is not stained. I had to postpone this weeks deck job and they understood because its raining everywhere

Finally got that deck stained. this was my first trex floor and top rail with pressure treated frame and railings. I WAAAY underestimated the time it takes to mask it off for spraying. It took an aditional 3 man hours than I had priced. Oh well live and learn.

Two tone decks, or in this case a floor that had to be masked off are always a 50% upcharge for me. Its very tedious and time consuming making sure you do not get stain where it isn't supposed to go.

I had added extra time on my bid but misjudged the amount. Its people attitude that because you don't have to stain the floor that make them insist the price should be lower. I got a new square footage price for this combo for the future and it is a 25% increase over a standrd deck stain job. The friggin' wind made it worse as well. gald to be done with that one.

I had added extra time on my bid but misjudged the amount. Its people attitude that because you don't have to stain the floor that make them insist the price should be lower. I got a new square footage price for this combo for the future and it is a 25% increase over a standrd deck stain job. The friggin' wind made it worse as well. gald to be done with that one.

Jeff I did this combo 2 years ago - I remember have to 'cut' the top of the balusters and stringer boards going underneath the trex railing board. Small deck - also had trex floorboards - it was the most painful deck job I have ever done.

To be honest - I don't know of any price increase that would ever justify doing this again. I can deal with taping off the 4x4's and tarping the floor. But I think in the future the easiest thing to do will be to replace all the handrails with new trex - I remember it taking me on the order of 10-12 hours to stain by hand the 'frame' on something like a 14x20 deck.

what I thought would take 2.5 for my wife and I took 4 so not that bad. I would definately need a tarp to go over the plastic so I could walk the floor and not stick to the overspray. I gave a bid for a deck just like this one next to one I did and haven't hear from the lady yet and frankly I hope I don't as that bid will need to go up $100 if she calls