Sign in to follow this  
Henry Bockman

Should pressure washing companies be licensed???

Should Pressure Washing Companies Be Licensed?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Should Pressure Washing Companies Be Licensed?

• Yes
    • No

Question

I'd like to run a poll and get as many people as possible to vote.

Think about it for a minute, we work with pretty extreme pressure, temperatures, and some pretty nasty chemicals to do our jobs.

Take into consideration that some deck strippers are rated at 13 on the Ph scale.

Some of the acids we use are rated at 1 or 2 on the Ph scale.

Think about the amount of damage that 4,000 PSI can cause in inexperienced hands to wood, siding and concrete.

Should'nt there be some type of protection for consumers against these extremes?

I honestly believe that pressure washing should have it's own government codes (Cage ect) We have those now!

We should have our own insurance codes. We have those now I heard!

Wouldn't the next logical step to make pressure washing a recognized industry be some type of licensing requirements? This will also help to seperate us from companies that are working for extra cash on weekends, and to help raise the bar and protect consumers.

I vote yes, pressure washing companies should be licensed.

163 answers to this question

A few thoughts.....

First I think we have more than enough govt regulation.

I think its straight bs wanting licensing to protect homeowners. If Joe Blow wants to hire some hackjob to pressure wash his house, If he cant tell the difference in an actual company and some dude with a pwer washer in the back of his chevy chevette, If Joe doesnt have the sense to take things other than price into consideration when making a hire then JOE DESERVES WHAT HE GETS.

A few thoughts.....

First I think we have more than enough govt regulation.

I think its straight bs wanting licensing to protect homeowners. If Joe Blow wants to hire some hackjob to pressure wash his house, If he cant tell the difference in an actual company and some dude with a pwer washer in the back of his chevy chevette, If Joe doesnt have the sense to take things other than price into consideration when making a hire then JOE DESERVES WHAT HE GETS.

Joe wants to hire the cheapest hack, then complain to the mommy government about how THEY should have protected him. Joe is an idiot and should lose all his money so he doesn't have anymore to give to the hacks. That will fix Joe's problem. :)

The only license that is required in VA is a business license, and that's enough. Unless the government will also warranty our work, a license serves no real purpose - at least not until certifications are required. Having a business license is required to obtain general liability insurance, which is truly the best (other than referrals) indicator that a contractor knows what he is doing and concerned enough for their customer's property to insure it against accidents that may happen. (GL Ins also protects the contractor's family from possible financial ruin. Personally, I also carry a $1M umbrella on my $300K/$300K auto policy.)

The only License I need is a License To Kill, The name is Bond , James Bond

I'm Jethro Bodine and I am a Double Knot Spy... Anybody remember the Beverly Hillbillies

Edited by Jeff

The only license that is required in VA is a business license

Actually John....... You need a VHIC license if your work is over $1,000 and falls into a particular annual total in VA. There are three classes of licenses, A, B and C. We are licensed in VA.

Beth

Joe wants to hire the cheapest hack, then complain to the mommy government about how THEY should have protected him. Joe is an idiot and should lose all his money so he doesn't have anymore to give to the hacks. That will fix Joe's problem. :)

Joe tends to be a fool

I think you are being a little sarcastic in that one, but the message is still contemptuous of the customer who tried to have faith in someone to do what they said they would do and was betrayed.

Was it intentional that they went with the lowest price and for what reason? Are they being pushed to get something done by another entity? Are they having a tough time with money at this point but need to have the work done?

Not everyone is a savvy business person and many have never tried to hire someone because A; their spouse did it for them and that person is no longer available, or B; They just don't understand that "not all witches are good Harry, some go as bad as you can get".

There is as I understand it, no compassion for these people and they are 'fair game'. That is a shame cause I don't happen to look at these people that way and while not all are as needy, it is for the purpose of the few who are taken advantage of by 'the hacks' that create the imposing legislation upon the rest of us.

Not trying to change your way of thinking, just adding my .02 as you and others can and do so freely.

I believe that we can police our own industry. I believe we can set the standards for our customers to hold us to. Government laws and regulations are to protect the rights of citizens from being trampled by 'the hacks'. No it doesn't stop them from doing anything wrong or illegal, but it does prescribe a penalty if they get caught. That in itself is the advantage of those who operate within the law to direct governments attention to those who don't.

Rod!~

Actually John....... You need a VHIC license if your work is over $1,000 and falls into a particular annual total in VA. There are three classes of licenses, A, B and C. We are licensed in VA.

Beth

OK, I just spent the last 15 minutes looking for info on this. Can you give me a hint where I can look?

Sounds to me like Tony condones shoddy work and hacks.

Beth

I've had the same guys do my yard for years. Are they insured? Who knows? Who cares?

I could easily hire a verified licensed, fully insured established landscaping company for three times the price.

Either way, my yard would have been blown, trimmed and mowed every week. If they did a crappy job I'd fire them and it would have been my fault for taking a chance on "unlicensed" lawn mowers. I've saved over $12,000 in landscaping since I hired them. That's a years worth of car payments and insurance!

I and another guy painted our house. (7 years ago) It still looks great. It took one weekend. I saved $8000. I bought a Titan professional sprayer with that savings and now my son uses it to seal concrete.

I saved $4000 by hiring two guys to install new windows in my house.

I was quoted $2000 to add a 50 amp RV hookup 90 ft from the panel. A handyman did it for $500.00. It passed inspection just like it would have if I paid $2000.00. Another $1500 saved. That paid for a long weekend at Malibu in the camper.

4 years ago a sewer pipe broke under the house. The quote was $1000. I directed Chris to the internet where he learned how to fix it and paid him $200.

Installed instant water heaters with long pipe runs. Quote $1200.00. Plumber from craigslist -$350.00- Passed inspection by the city.

I could go on and on. I just don't get the argument.

There is a place in society for hacks. Beth, you can't force the market to pay higher prices for a guarantee of quality contractors when there is no such thing as a guarantee of quality contractors.

If I had a deck I would hire some guy off craigslist to do it. If he screwed it up it would be my own d*mn fault for being such a cheapskate. I might have to pay more later to fix it. OR I might get a good contractor (hack) and get mine done whenever I need it for 1/4th the going rate for "licensed" contractors.

I know you don't want to hear that. But it's reality. There are a lot of Tony Sheltons out there. WE are not your market. Your market is the people who put a guaranty of quality at the top of their list. Your market is the people who've been screwed by the hacks before. Developing a good educational website and educating the customer is a far more honorable way to earn business than by using the strong arm of the government to force homeowners to hire licensed contractors against their will.

That's why I don't mess with the residential market. Joe Residential only has to answer to himself and his wife, so he can hire whoever he wants. Property managers, business owners and other commercial customers have to answer to customers and corporate. It PAYS for them to do due diligence to hire only fully insured and proven contractors. Not so in the residential market.

It's two different worlds. I know this is a predominantly residential board and I expect to get crucified for this. But I think the FREE market should set prices and not the government.

You raise good points, but allow me to make one.....this is ONE example of what we hear....

Lady calls, very frustrated. She lives in a townhome. She just finished doing her deck herself. She did a great job, one she was very happy with. Her neighbor hired an unlicensed hack. Said hack came in and and blasted the deck they were working on, and her deck was in proximity so it got hit as well. Nothing was rinsed. This hack also runs around throwing an acrylic sealer that is meant for DRY wood on immediately following the wash. The hack sealed the deck he was working on , the back of the house he was working on, her newly finished deck, and the back of her house. The neighbor is livid and so is the poor lady in proximity WHO DIDN'T hire the guy!

Think about that. SHE didn't hire him, and her deck is screwed up. So now, she has to get her neighbor to pay for her deck re-do, since the hack...won't come back...and even IF he would, would you WANT him to?

No. And if the guy had been licensed, he WOULD have had to make it right.

Beth :cup:

Edited by Beth n Rod

Tony, Tony, Tony...

As usual we find ourselves at odds over this and I thought we had agreed we don't agree!?

I am not going to try to change your mind, Beth and I made our points for others to consider knowing you were steadfast in your ways.

We also understand that you have no sympathy for others who have bad things happen to them. That's ok, no one says you have to either.

We just find your lack of compassion for others and your business ethic's questionable.

You don't have to answer to us, we are not important, nor do we have any impact on your life or business. It's all up to you.

Great job on the savings...one heck of a job. I could make some additional points as to why others have higher prices but I know you don't care about that, its the bottom line, I understand.

Do what you gotta do and whats good for you and we shall do the same for ourselves.

Rod!~

you cant do ANYTHING without a licence, hunt,fish,boating,off-road,work,play ect. and you want a licence to wash a house? how about wash your car,mow your lawn,paint your house,saw some wood. some things seem good , but now we have a nation of laws. most are good , some are lame. just my opinion.

Tony, Tony, Tony...

As usual we find ourselves at odds over this and I thought we had agreed we don't agree!?

I am not going to try to change your mind, Beth and I made our points for others to consider knowing you were steadfast in your ways.

We also understand that you have no sympathy for others who have bad things happen to them. That's ok, no one says you have to either.

We just find your lack of compassion for others and your business ethic's questionable.

You don't have to answer to us, we are not important, nor do we have any impact on your life or business. It's all up to you.

Great job on the savings...one heck of a job. I could make some additional points as to why others have higher prices but I know you don't care about that, its the bottom line, I understand.

Do what you gotta do and whats good for you and we shall do the same for ourselves.

Rod!~

Rod, it's not that I don't have sympathy for people who are truly wronged. It's just that people most people today seem to have the "victim" mentality when they brought it on themselves.

What about the Lady in Beth's example? She probably has a legitimate complaint. But for every legitimate example like that, how many opportunists go out and see a speck on their deck and go on the rampage just trying to get theirs done for free? The answer in Beth's example is to turn in a claim to the neighbor's insurance company. Then the insurance company can decide if they simply want to pay out or if it's worth going after the hack.

What are some other alternatives to meet your goals without asking the government to make decisions for the homeowner?

What about the media? Beth, why wouldn't you call the local TV station about the lady's deck?

What about negative advertising. The college educated (indoctrinated) marketing guys will tell you it doesn't work. But some of the most successful ads use negative advertising. Hasn't those pictures of nasty ducts made you at least think about getting your ducts cleaned? Ads with pictures of your beautiful work will bring in the high dollar customers, but ads showing shoddy work will bring in the thrifty ones. My video on youtube of hack filter work has gotten me at least three big accounts. We don't need the government to babysit us.

Rod, I can't stop. I'm obsessed. I just know that one day you're going to break down and become a republican!:cheers:

Earlskelly -

GET OUR CARTOON OFF OF YOUR SIGNATURE! I don't tolerate the use of our name or logo by anyone....

I have removed it and I better not see you using it again! You're lucky I didn't ban you!

Beth

Edited by Beth n Rod
added more

We have recently run into a situation that has only strengthened my position on YES, there should be some form of licensing. Look for a thread that not only talks about unlicensed & uneducated people using pressure washers, but also the ramifications of messing with lead paint :( It will be easy to find after I write it :)

I vote yes.

I believe that it adds credibility to our industry. It will not stop people from

Hiring the weekend hack but it will help people understand the difference.

We show up with a fully trained crew on each truck. The vehicles are insured.

The workers are insured and our work is insured and guaranteed. We use the best materials

For each application. You are then competing with a guy that owns a pickup and a power washer

Making weekend money. A license would insure that each company has at a minimum the correct

Amount of insurance for all parts of the business. Once they are forced to make that kind of commitment let's see if they are willing to do a 2 story 2500 sf house for $100.

Again people will still hire the unlicensed contractor but there will be less of them and explaining

The difference becomes much easier.

I vote yes.... Right after Hurricane Hugo hit South Carolina, hundreds if not thousands of people saw it as an opportunity to flock to the stricken areas claiming they were contractors and could help rebuild their homes, paint, build decks, cut trees, and you name it, they said they could do it. The vast majority of these people had no experience what so ever, but were only after making a buck as people were in a hurry to try to get their lives back and often paid these people up front deposits only to never see the so called contractor again. The state could do little because these people were not on record anywhere as being a contractor.

Many others got rim shod work done that was essentially a waste of time and money and had to be torn down and done over. Again the so called contractors were not on any record and could not be found.

There were good contractors that come to help, however, at the time there was no way any home owner could tell the difference between the legitimate ones and the hacks except by trusting the word of the contractor.

That is pretty much when SC to protect the residents, started requiring that contractors be licensed. They had to have two years experience in what ever field they claimed they provided and had to have at least five references.

Now in SC any job such as painting, roofing, carpentry, floor covering, etc over $200.00 requires that the contractor have a valid contractor's or specialty contractor's license.

There is an inconsistency in the law though. If a contractor is hired to paint $200 worth of trim on a house, he has to be licensed while anyone one can go out and buy a pressure washer and take on a $20,000 apartment cleaning job.

I see damage caused by inexperienced and uncaring pressure washing contractors all the time. Many of them are no different than the vultures that descended on SC after Hugo. I think SC overlooked pressure washing as a business or an industry in itself and I for one would like for it to be added to the list that requires licensing to help protect the unsuspecting citizenry.

Think about it for a minute, we work with pretty extreme pressure, temperatures, and some pretty nasty chemicals to do our jobs.Take into consideration that some deck strippers are rated at 13 on the Ph scale. Some of the acids we use are rated at 1 or 2 on the Ph scale.Think about the amount of damage that 4,000 PSI can cause in inexperienced hands to wood, siding and concrete.