Sign in to follow this  
Scott Paul

LiveActor for Website.

Question

21 answers to this question

Scott,

They are nice but the one on your service site froze up quite a lot and the sound started and stopped as well. The one on the sales site did much better. The video did freeze occasionally but the audio continued and the video would catch up.

Hope it keeps folks on your site. Let everyone know how your numbers improve (hits, time on page etc.) with her on them.

Scott,

They are nice but the one on your service site froze up quite a lot and the sound started and stopped as well. The one on the sales site did much better. The video did freeze occasionally but the audio continued and the video would catch up.

Hope it keeps folks on your site. Let everyone know how your numbers improve (hits, time on page etc.) with her on them.

Thanks for the feedback. It has all to do with connection speed with the playback quality.

Scott, my fear with stuff like that is that is alienates slower connected/older computer users. Someone needs to write a script that does a quick connection test then routes users to the proper server side (graphic light, script heavy, etc)

Scott, my fear with stuff like that is that is alienates slower connected/older computer users. Someone needs to write a script that does a quick connection test then routes users to the proper server side (graphic light, script heavy, etc)
I agree but honestly my site is so feature rich it will have issues with anyone who has a 56k modem. It will not matter if the video is there or not. Joomla is a great platform but it is not the fastest.

The thing about technology moving so fast is that a DSL connection and a Pent4 with a gig or under of RAM is now the dinosaur that cannot keep up with the web. I agree with you about Joomla. Some Joomla sites take forever to load, especially in Internet Explorer.

I agree but honestly my site is so feature rich it will have issues with anyone who has a 56k modem. It will not matter if the video is there or not. Joomla is a great platform but it is not the fastest.

What template are you using? Some are faster than others

Lady froze many times ... I have super fast internet and pc . I think problem is with server or with "live person" software.

I think it's a great idea for a website , BUT I hate when something starts playing or talking automatically when I get to the website.

Most big portals starts videos or adds with sound off by default - giving you a choice to listen to it or not.

All of "live person" gadgets are very annoying and ServiceMagic should get #1 prize for the most annoying and biggest one.

I installed a live actor video on my website. I like it but I was curious as to what other people thought. I have two actually. One for my services and one on the homepage for product sales:

Deck Restoration Michigan

Wood Deck Restoration Supplies

Edited by MichiganPowerWashing.com

It was about $300 for the actor and integration. It seems to work just fine for the most part but when it doesn't it is pretty annoying with the choppy video. This is not my server just the users internet connection.

It doesn't seem to hurt my sales though as my page views per person are the same with it or without it.

This type of marketing cannot be viewed with a site owners personal preferences. Its just like in sales. Because I wouldn't pay $x for something does not mean there is not a market for people that will. I prefer to read through a website. But.. look at the big picture. There are potential customers out there with dyslexia, learning disabilities and others whom have difficulties absorbing large amounts of text. There are also non LD people whom prefer listening versus reading. The sale of audio books tells that story.

In addition, as websites become a premiere form of marketing and there are literally billions of them, you have to stand apart. You have seconds to make your customer stand up and notice. I think many companies are using these audible intros incorrectly. I believe long winded diatribes can be a detriment but a quick 6 second "attention getter" would be very effective. Static sites are rapidly becoming boring and will be phased out.

The proof, I suppose is in the pudding. Scott, if you wouldn't mind sharing, have your conversion and bounce rates been improved since this addition?

Edited by PressurePros

I like it, but it suits my personality as I'm a visual person, and the women is pretty hot. Seriously though, I'm a fan of it as long as it isn't to overwhelming, and i hate when live actors repeat over and over again. I had no problem loading it, and not a single glitch as it was playing on both sites. I have a DSL connection, and a kick ass computer.

The proof, I suppose is in the pudding. Scott, if you wouldn't mind sharing, have your conversion and bounce rates been improved since this addition?

My bounce rate is actually down about 3% for 2009 versus 2008. 52% for 2008 versus 49% 2009.

Page views per visitor is up slightly as well.

Conversion is a little hard to read this year. I was down for May and June due to the weather but has rebounded nicely since. Overall I would say about the same.

Never had anyone complain about the video but have had numerous customers tell me that they like it.

The only time I seem to have any issue with it playing smoothly is when someone is on a wireless router.