Sign in to follow this  
C & T Pressure Washing

x-jet in the trash

Question

59 answers to this question

I don't care what you are using to apply chem, if you want it done wright it will take some time and some detailed attention to certain areas.

Many on this site claim to clean 2000 sq ft. houses in 1 hour solo. I consider myself to be an extermely fast paced individual and a 2000 sq ft house done right by myself is a 2 to 2 1/2 hour job.

Ok well maybe 2 1/2 hrs for a 2300sq.ft 2 story,and you bet it's clean.

Not only that but we never unhook the xjet the entire time.Apply chems with it,rinse with it.It's the best $$$ you can invest in accessory equipment.

The chems you use make a big difference in how much extra detail work you have to do.

The x-jet is the most important tool next to my surface cleaner. Alot can factor in to time. Dont compare yourself to others, just do a good job no matter how long it takes and price accrordingly. Your speed will increase. Alot of time can be saved by the proper chems. If you have the right mix its a simple as apply, dwell and rinse. No pressure. Sometimes some pressure is needed, thus more time needs to be added. Sometimes it takes longer sometimes it dosent, dosent matter if you price it right. Rick G

C&T,

See if you can find someone in your area to show you how they wash houses. Sometimes it can be as simple as missing a small step. The x-jet is a wonderful application tool....notice I say APPLICATION. It will throw the soap, but you need to use a good mixture and have it go up there at the right concentration for what you're cleaning.

I have questions after reading the post:

1. what what the house, vinyl, aluminum, brick or what?

2. what specifically were you trying to remove, were you just after the mold mildew and algae, or after alot of oxidation (that does take longer - oxidation does) or what?

3. cold water, hot, warm what?

4. How long did you let it dwell?

5. what did you apply?

Give us a little more info so we can help you. And yank that x-jet out of the trash. You may yet find you need it.

Beth

CLASSICPW,

Could you please explain your comment "Your fault."

If you have info that could help C&T I'm sure he would appreciate

it along with many others (including myself).

I took the (WOW) comment as being sarcastic. The x-jet is, by far, my most valuable tool so I guess I took his post as an x-jet bashing. He could just be asking for help, but I didn't read it that way. If so, my fault. :)

You might want to dig your Xjet out of the trash and rethink this...

Depending on what the house is sided with, and what you are cleaning off of it, a 2 hour 2300 sq. foot 2 story housewash is well within the realm of possibility using the Xjet and the right chems. Dirt and mold/algae on a vinyl house? Easily in two hours, unless the gutters have to be brushed.

I just got done doing 6 two story condo buildings, 35 units total, each building averaging about 7000 square feet at the base....Lots of dirt and mold, chimneys reaching up about 30' in some spots, all vinyl siding. 2-3 hours to do each, and yes, that is getting them clean. The gutters were dark grey and didn't need brushing so it was a simple job of Xjetting citracleen and chlorine, dwelling, and rinsing. Here's a couple before pics...

There is a fair amount of vagueness when folks talk about 2 hours to wash a house.

First, there are different shapes of houses with different landscaping. Some are surrounded by asphalt, while others have grass all around. Some have driveways that slope into the street, and some that have driveways, and patios that slope the wrong way. Some reclaim or dam from having waste water enter the storm drain, while others do nothing. Some have wrap around porches with cobwebs and concrete, while others have deck type wood porches and oak or mohagony doors that require protecting from water.

Second, how many peoeple are doing the wash - one person or 2 people.

Third, do you count the time from when you roll up to the driveway or from the time you pull the trigger. Do you count unloading and packing up.

Fourth, do you mix your chemicals on site, or do you pre-mix the night before.

Some count mixing into the equasion while others don't.

Fifth, some include cleaning the gutters into the equasion while others do not.

Sixth, on some houses there are problems with weeping - some folks stick around and wipe down the weeps, while others do not and sometime they get call-backs.

There are a lot of things that go into washing a house and while some are a breeze, others can be time consuming to achieve a quality cleaning on.

Until everyone talks apples to apples or describes their process completely, all effort hours at best are ambiguous (no insult intended, it is just fact).

There is a fair amount of vagueness when folks talk about 2 hours to wash a house.

Agreed, there is no way to say "A housewash should take X hours". I can only speak from my own experiences, and base things on the types of homes that are typical for this area.

First, there are different shapes of houses with different landscaping. Some are surrounded by asphalt, while others have grass all around. Some have driveways that slope into the street, and some that have driveways, and patios that slope the wrong way. Some reclaim or dam from having waste water enter the storm drain, while others do nothing. Some have wrap around porches with cobwebs and concrete, while others have deck type wood porches and oak or mohagony doors that require protecting from water.

I've never seen a home around here surrounded by asphalt, most are fairly simple landscaping designs, either grass (the easiest) or shrubs/mulch or that type of thing. When I say a typical 2000 square foot ranch style house, I mean a house without a LOT of complicated architecture, no major obstacles, etc. When I say a housewash, I mean just that, not a housewash and roofwash, or housewash and driveway cleaning. Of course cleaning the driveway will add time, as will reclaiming if you do that. I don't...no one here does, nor do I see the need to do it if no one is going to make me. Also, you mentioned two hours, and for this type of house, that's a bit much. 1-1.5 hours.

Second, how many peoeple are doing the wash - one person or 2 people.

One, in my case.

Third, do you count the time from when you roll up to the driveway or from the time you pull the trigger. Do you count unloading and packing up.

That's counting the time from the moment I pull up in front to the time I drive off.

Fourth, do you mix your chemicals on site, or do you pre-mix the night before.

Some count mixing into the equasion while others don't.

I mix on site, 1-2 5 gallon buckets. Usually 1, and if I need a bit more, I mix as needed. Doesn't take more than a couple minutes to put 1/2 gallon of citracleen and a couple gallons of pool chlorine in a bucket!

Fifth, some include cleaning the gutters into the equasion while others do not.

The includes the gutters, and of course if they require scrubbing that will take a little longer...something I usually do while I'm waiting for the next side of the house to dwell. I apply chems, dwell, rinse, and if the gutters need more attention, I apply chems to the next part of the house and while those are dwelling I take care of the gutters on the previous part of the house, then rinse.

Sixth, on some houses there are problems with weeping - some folks stick around and wipe down the weeps, while others do not and sometime they get call-backs.

I don't get a lot of vinyl here, most of it is condos and not much of that. Of the vinyl I do, I don't have a problem with weeping for the most part, but do take care of it when it is encountered. Again, this is one of those variables that make it impossible to say "A housewash should take X hours"

There are a lot of things that go into washing a house and while some are a breeze, others can be time consuming to achieve a quality cleaning on.

Until everyone talks apples to apples or describes their process completely, all effort hours at best are ambiguous (no insult intended, it is just fact).

Agreed...I suppose what I really mean is that the right chems and the right equipment have made me much faster and more efficient at washing houses!

Agreed...I suppose what I really mean is that the right chems and the right equipment have made me much faster and more efficient at washing houses!

And don't forget about experience.....you provided a great example when describing what you're doing in a particular order. Don't want to be standing around during dwell times.

I chucked my x jet as well. not because it didn't work, but because I found a faster, simpler method and I will never go back. Well, I still have the x jet, just don't use it anymore.

The last time I answered a thread like this I was deleted out, I will a professional opinion. All the answers have been mentioned, Paul with the most correct answers. The rest with chemical and application.

I still think (my opinion) the x-jet is the best tool for house washes. This house with a helper would take a couple of hours, I mix on location, I throw chemical on two sides. Rinse, move on. Follow the same way everytime.

It may be something like hard water.

Dont throw it out, Tweak something. I dont think we all can be wrong.

Matt

I chucked my x jet as well. not because it didn't work, but because I found a faster, simpler method and I will never go back. Well, I still have the x jet, just don't use it anymore.

Please let us in on you new method. Thanks. If you dont want to post it feel free to E-mail it-

www.claytonsbest@aol.com

I thought Mike got out of the business. At one time he was selling off all his equipment. I have had a debate with Mike in one of the chats on this board. He never did say how or what he used but kept insisting the X-jet is not the best way.

:dunno:

Last Mike told everyone he was working in sales for a Landa/Hotsy dealer and did not wash anymore.

He has said many times that he had a better way than the X Jet and the Adams downstreamer was it. Call Bob and you can get specifics on the soap that Mike used. If I recall correctly, Mike found his new way of washing from Bob. He never wanted to say what he did that was better, but he did slip a few times.

I have a 0 deg tip I drilled out and it will throw chems pretty far. Thats what I used for a long time before I got the XJ. I still prefer the XJ because of the ease of changing the pattern and stronger chem.