Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Armstrong-Clark maintenance

Question

I have had the good fortune to be mentored over the past several years by a semi-retired, 35 yr. + in the business, exterior wood contractor. Located in the Southwest, we have never met, but correspond and talk on the phone periodically.

For his own reasons, he prefers to remain anonymous. I have never seen him post anything on internet BBS's. But for the 2nd season now, he has been testing and using a lot of A-C stain. The following are 2 emails and pictures from him. Posted with permission.

Rick:

Redwood deck after 15 months in the Arizona sun at 5800 feet. The deck was coated with Armstrong Clark Cedar Semi. Deck sits on the southwest end of the house and can get 14 hours of sun daily. I do not think it really needed a recoat, however, we did it to test the ease (or difficulty) of cleaning and recoating A/C.

The deck was cleaned with TSP and Dawn liquid.

We were going to recoat the deck with an A/C toner, but with the severe exposure we decided to recoat with Cedar Semi again.

Next email will have the after recoating photos.

88 answers to this question

Thanks Beth,

Sorry about the signature, Hope it's good now.

there are so many different cleaners and neutralizers out there, what brand is preferred here on the boards or do you have your own recipe. Previously I have been using a light bleach and tsp solution, then rinsing with a PW.

Went to the House Rick and I did last August (lots of rain) that won the AC contest. They were replacing the trim due to the wrong nails being used and I pre stained the wood. The house looks great !! Customer had to many nice things to say about the team that did the wood and the builder was very impressed. The builder does very very high end work.

Mold, mildew is not an issue on the finish!! Some minor areas where sprinklers hit but I knew that was to happen.

What cleaner is everyone using for AC recoats? For those using percarb for AC maintence...I'm worried about it stripping it, what are yall experiencing? And for those using SH what kind of ratio are you using? Not my normal cup of tea but I'm tempted to try an SH mix to clean these maintence jobs.

Also, did a quick drive this afternoon to a two year old AC deck...full sun so its noticeably faded but next to no mildew (only on posts where the bushes are near). Hopeing for an easy maintence sell.

You can percarb it, and you should still end up with pigment left when you go back for your maintenance coat. You can use a very weak SH mix as well, but that's up to you. I think if you can do it with a percarb it is gentler on the wood than the SH would be, and I think too you end up with better retention of the other coat. This is all based upon strength of chem, wash technique etc....

Beth :cup:

Oxidizers like SH or percarb in low enough amounts to do no harm likely not strong enough to kill anything anyway so am considering if no mildew/mold then a lite dose of car wash followed by a touch of citric acid to bright thin areas up a tad might do well. Staying a good foot or more away with mid pressure also likely go a long way in doing no harm.

Edited by MMI Enterprises

SH at 1.5 to 2% on horizontal wood is likely to kill any surface mold or mildew, as long as air temps. and dwell time is sufficient. We've used a SH/other stuff mix for years on previously stained RS maintenance jobs. It works without harming the oils, stain resins, and pigments already in the wood.

Good to see you back here Kevin, where have you been?

SH at 1.5 to 2% on horizontal wood is likely to kill any surface mold or mildew, as long as air temps. and dwell time is sufficient. We've used a SH/other stuff mix for years on previously stained RS maintenance jobs. It works without harming the oils, stain resins, and pigments already in the wood.

True true Rick, There is big difference between killing stuff and eating stuff off like the roof folk do so might be worth an ounce of prevention to go for a kill even if ya can't see anything growing. Remember the acidified stuff I mixed up and did tests with couple year back? Was just looking at that sample the other day and would say acidified mix might be another route to go here. Might allow for use of an even lower percentage. Natural oil stains like AC products are one thing, acrylics are another.. I would advise against using even low percentage on acrylics. In low percentage use on a regular basis will see a coating brittle out and in higher it will start stripping it. Too often a cleaning by homeowner will result in a walked off traffic pattern even more so than the stuff does normally.

Oh and yea I check in once in awhile Rick...just been working my behind off on concrete mainly. Finished off a 12k' deco job a few week back and so been recouping.

Rick are you still applying your maint. mix (above) with deckster or downstreaming.

Edited by acegot
typo

Rick are you still applying your maint. mix (above) with deckster or downstreaming.

Lyle,

We only use Shurflo pumps, or on occasion backpack sprayers for small jobs, when applying chemicals. Decksters are reserved for applying stain only. I've got one unit that is about 7 yrs. old and it has only pumped RS stain. We do not downstream for wood, cannot get the chemical ratios to my liking.

Why are you worried about stripping the finish with SH? If the job was done properly, you only like need 2 cups of household bleach per gallon of water and some dawn liquid soap. A typical downstream house wash is plenty good for cleaning up decks

for a maintenance wash.