Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Armstrong-Clark maintenance

Question

I have had the good fortune to be mentored over the past several years by a semi-retired, 35 yr. + in the business, exterior wood contractor. Located in the Southwest, we have never met, but correspond and talk on the phone periodically.

For his own reasons, he prefers to remain anonymous. I have never seen him post anything on internet BBS's. But for the 2nd season now, he has been testing and using a lot of A-C stain. The following are 2 emails and pictures from him. Posted with permission.

Rick:

Redwood deck after 15 months in the Arizona sun at 5800 feet. The deck was coated with Armstrong Clark Cedar Semi. Deck sits on the southwest end of the house and can get 14 hours of sun daily. I do not think it really needed a recoat, however, we did it to test the ease (or difficulty) of cleaning and recoating A/C.

The deck was cleaned with TSP and Dawn liquid.

We were going to recoat the deck with an A/C toner, but with the severe exposure we decided to recoat with Cedar Semi again.

Next email will have the after recoating photos.

88 answers to this question

[ATTACH]12352[/ATTACH]

Actually, most of the redwood, over half that I see, is con-heart(with knots) since the quit cutting old growth .

Rick, here is "knotty" picture for you.

Lyle,

Now you're talking, that is great looking wood. Very similar to knotty western red cedar. Is that also A-C stain? If so, care to let us know the mix or color?

The two redwood jobs we have done were old growth. One deck was 24 yrs. old, the other was documented to be at least 50 yrs. old.

The first redwood pic(3picseries) is ac cedar tone, The Wrc pics(2pic series) is Ac natural with Menco cinnamon tint added) & the last knotty redwood pic is TWP 500 light cedar. That deck is 22 years old. Here is a before pic, I did some repairs on it, notice step is different configuration.

post-1457-137772250191_thumb.jpg

Lyle,

That is more than a repair. That is a partial rebuild. You and your firm do some real nice work.

I wish we had more redwood here in NJ. Only 2 jobs in 8 years. First is a pic of a 24 yr. old clear redwood with Ready Seal medium red stain sample on a post.

Next three pics were of an interesting job. Unmaintained old growth redwood, partial douglas fir deck, documented by a neighbor to be at least 50 yrs. old. Replaced some of the wood, particularly the 2 x 12 bottom stair tread. Was able to purchase some old growth redwood and have it shipped from California. Again, stain is Ready Seal medium red.

This deck is ancient. No concrete in the footers, just plain redwood trunks sunk into the ground!

Great job Rick, Isnt awesome how you can take an old RW deck & make it look great! Here is a small RW deck I built Heart "B" RW with RS light brown.

post-1457-137772250262_thumb.jpg

Lyle,

Wow, real nice carpentry work. Ready Seal light brown is my favorite color on western red cedar, see attached picture. Looks even better on good redwood. Terrific job!

There is an organization/furniture builder/old growth supplier out of Annapolis, Ca. that I dealt with, terrific people, and the purchases go to a very worthwhile cause. If you are looking for specific age/quality/grain of redwood, check them out. Ask for Raul, real nice guy. See: Forever Redwood Furniture: Wooden Planter Boxes, Picnic Tables, Glider Swings, Pergolas, Redwood Benches and More!

Here's a cedar screened in porch we sealed with Armstrong Clark, semi-cedar and cedar toner blend.... ;)

It used to be sealed with that which shall not be named...

Beth

:banana: BOOYA!!! Sealing with AC is a wonderful thing! :banana:

post-1-137772250331_thumb.png

Here's a cedar screened in porch we sealed with Armstrong Clark, semi-cedar and cedar toner blend.... ;)

Beth,

Nice. Nice knotty cedar. Nice stain color. Nice job!

It used to be sealed with that which shall not be named...

Hah, let me guess! Wasn't that some character out of the Harry Potter books? Its a hoot!

First pick is Sierra Redwood on a cedar deck and cedar rails that gets alot of weather, it is what the deck really needed given the environment, and the customer likes the color. It's attached to a log home.

Second and third are the same job, stripped Behr, buffed, and used semi-cedar and cedar toner blended.

Beth

Alright thats enough! :arg:

All I get to look at is ratty old pressure treated pine that could never ever look like that. That would be great to work with! Much more and I will be looking for adaption from one of you guys.

Well,...:hmmm:

Jersey or California ???

Sorry Rick.

:cool:

Tony,

I guarantee you, you have more than PT lumber in your back yard....

Beth

I don't know

Wait, I do have 2 1/2 dogs and those things out there do look a little like tree logs. How'd you know?

Call your local deck builders and ask them what they build with. I'm willing to bet ipe is one of the materials that is popular. Probably some cedar as well as PT....maybe the occasional mahogany deck.

Everyone thinks their area is plain PT until they find it to be otherwise....

Beth

I know this isnt a builder forum. Wanted to show Rick a couple other decks I built. I do all the work myself with a helper or 2 when busiest. The upper deck pic is Redwood with Trex Brasila. I will be using AC cedar tone on the bottom deck in a couple weeks.

Deck Collage.pdf

Lyle,

Again, real nice work. I especially like the bottom curve design. Just curious, what is the cost of high quality redwood 5/4 x 6? Probably not much more than our PTSYP in the northeast I would guess.

For decking its 2x6. The good stuff in 2x6 is $3. -$3.30 lin. ft., not cheap. What's clear PTP there?

Lyle,

I am honestly not sure, have not had to purchase any 2x6 PTSYP yet this year, which is a good thing! I would think around 1.75/lin. ft. as a guess.

Knotty WRC 2x6 goes for about 3.50/lin. ft.

I have found the simi cedar to come out darker than expected in the PTYSP here, The toner comes out darker too but still shows the grain well and doesn't fade as much as I expected when dried but like Alan said, PTP doe's funny stuff sometimes with colors. I don't know what it is but starting to think it depends on what side of the road it was cut down on and what moon phase. People down here think Lowe's is the only supplier and we see nothing else but their product. I've been looking for two years to find a deck other than ptsyp...Havent even heard of one. Lowe's was started here in my town. (1948) The original corp head Q is about the size of a grocery store and it's funny to drive past Lowe's #1 store, it's about the size of a small auto parts store. It's a lawn mower repair shop now. lol It's a mortal sin NOT to buy their product around here but I wished we could get some other woods to go with some of these super high end homes / cabins around here. You'd think a builder woud be ashamed to put a PT wrap around deck on a million dollar home but they do.

MudDuck, I AGREE. My family cut half the hardwoods in AL in the early 30s-40s for cross ties to supply the southern rails. When that spurt ended the family closed the 5 cross tie plants and started sawmilling lumber. I was working the family business when PT 5/4 decking came on the market here. We ran sprinkler systems over PT bundles when it was hot and dry. I've seen PT warp so bad in a bundle that it would snap the crimps on steel bands. The 5/4 was the worse. When laying 5/4 decking, the "Bow Wrench" is a must. As far as supply goes, PT pine and composite is all you will buy in Central AL without special order. Oh Yeah - 2 million $$ home and the decks are falling apart in 2 yrs. BUT - a lot of good reasons to maintain the stuff!!!!!!! Back to the topic here, I've got a nice line up of AC maint coats to do this summer and will post several....

This is a deck we do every year on the ocean (bay) close to a coal fired power plant as well. The HO wants it done by by brush and roll her way or the hwy...... she stays right there while we do the job and supplies all material and tools-- absolutely no spraying in this area ( she pays very well) All she has used is A/C and it does hold up well but she recently added on alot of new deck boards and fencing and although the stain took well it faded very very quick....We also do a small log cabin for her as well, close to the ocean a with A/C our thoughts on the product eh....... We have to get the ladders up before high tide , she does not like us leaning over the rails......saftey issue......lol.. post-3809-13777230571_thumb.jpg

post-3809-137772305734_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14867[/ATTACH]

Nice beach :sunshine:

What kind of prep did you do before staining? What was the existing AC color and what are you applying?