Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

I hate decks!

Question

It's the same thing every year - you're hungry for deck work - you want the $1,500 jobs, the $2,500 jobs, the $3,500 jobs. And then you actually get a big deck job - and your arms about to collapse after stripping deck boards for hours - and then you look back at the 'miles' of balusters that all need to be sanded because they've furred like mad - and to boot there is a second floor balcony over the deck that you 'threw' into the quote, which will be 'interesting' to say the least. And then I ask myself - why do I like doing this?

Edited by plainpainter
spelling

28 answers to this question

Haha I hate the big ones. Ill take 800/1200 dollar jobs all day long

I'm with you - I just bought an orbital style hardwood floor sander from ebay - I've done enough 1,500+ SF of sanding floorboards on my hands and knees with a random orbital! My arms/hands for some reason are starting to give out this season. If I don't buy better sanding equipment - I am going to end up in physical therapy for the rest of the summer!

ll And then you actually get a big deck job - and your arms about to collapse after stripping deck boards for hours - and then you look back at the 'miles' of balusters that all need to be sanded because they've furred like mad - and to boot there is a second floor balcony over the deck that you 'threw' into the quote, which will be 'interesting' to say the least. ...

Geeze Daniel,

You mentioned this was your first deck job this season and you are already discouraged and worn out! Buck up, young whippersnapper. I'm 56, and aside from rain days, have been steadily working wood since April, weekends included. And we are just getting started!

Geeze Daniel,

You mentioned this was your first deck job this season and you are already discouraged and worn out! Buck up, young whippersnapper. I'm 56, and aside from rain days, have been steadily working wood since April, weekends included. And we are just getting started!

+1 yep. the bigger the better. Keep 'em coming. Leave the house washes for the newbs that think a day long house wash is "getting quicker"

You know..... the ones that ask and don't adhere to advice.

You know, the ones that think they are pros after 3 months of blabbing.

Keep the large deck jobs coming. Right on.

If you are getting fuzzies then your mix is dwelling too long or is too strong, or lifting with too much pressure.

How do you do it Rick?

Daniel,

I'm not sure. Smoke 2 packs of Kool Milds a day (for 35 years), drink 2 - 3 cases of Heinekens a week, eat fat loaded foods, and do not believe in exercise.

I get a flair up of tendonitis in one arm/shoulder now and again, but that is about it. I do think enjoying this business and our work helps keep me young. Just ask Beth or Barbara Vogel, my little wood minxes. Hah!

Dan, God told me to tell you to " buck up or shut up". Or get a job at Guantanamo Bay as a Terrorist interrogator . You can write post and they have to read them until they Crack!!!

If you are getting fuzzies then your mix is dwelling too long or is too strong, or lifting with too much pressure.

When you remove 9 years worth of UV degradation and mold, you invariably are going to get 'fuzzies' after cleaning - I don't see any way around that?

The more the UV degradation and age of the wood the less fuzzing you get. It comes offf easier !

blah blah blah - there was only one time in my memory I was able to get spindles not to fur up. A 4-5+ year old stain - with a weak stripper. Exposed wood takes a much harsher beating. And you can't tell me when you have gotten everything removed - that there won't be a little defurring to deal with.

If anything my pump took a nose dive that day and didn't impart enough pressure.

When you remove 9 years worth of UV degradation and mold, you invariably are going to get 'fuzzies' after cleaning - I don't see any way around that?

Not always Dan.

My oldest was 25yr. and no fuzz whatsoever.

Unless of course I drop the wand running from a very P.O'd raccoon, and it gouges or divets during the escape. LOL.

Not always is this the case though. We will have to deal with the fuzz from time to time.

I generally get fuzz from newer decks. But that is what the orbital is for.

Some day I will get a walk behind sander. But not today.

More wood this year than washes so far. I'll take it any day of the week.

Adrian,

Agree in total. I refer out house washes to a local competitor that also does wood. Hasn't stolen one of my wood customers yet!

But you have to admit, with good marketing, house washing can be more lucrative.

Adrian,

Agree in total. I refer out house washes to a local competitor that also does wood. Hasn't stolen one of my wood customers yet!

But you have to admit, with good marketing, house washing can be more lucrative.

I agree with that, and , of course I'll do a resi wash.

It's almost a staple.

This year for some reason customers are balking at wash prices (300.00-400.00 ) vs 1500.00-2500.00 for resto.

It's not my sales routine either. It's more calls for wood than resi washes.

....can you tell I am starting to have my share of the newbs posing as customers? Unreal. Give them an inch and they know it all.

(sorry venting)

Keep hanging in Dan the more you do the more experience you gain in finding quicker methods.

Dan, you just don't like to work. I'm not saying I blame you, its hard work and it certainly isn't for everyone. Your tisket is going to be to get your advertising machine into high gear and hire a couple guys to do the actual work.

Daniel,

Don't listen to Ken! Of course you like the work, there is a ton of satisfaction in turning ugly, degraded wood into a masterpiece. More so than painting.

As for "hard work", maybe by today's standards, but physically it is not that demanding. Worked in concrete foundations in college, and grew up in an Allied Van Lines moving and storage business. Now digging dirt, carrying forms, and moving household goods is hard work!

You asked the question, did you come up with an answer yet?

Rod!~

Rod,

Daniel is either a true misanthrope, or a sadist that gets cruel pleasure in making TGS members depressed!

Just kidding, Daniel!

You asked the question, did you come up with an answer yet?

Rod!~

Well - I like the feedback from making a deck look nice. You do an incredible job painting a house - and people sort of take it for granted it seems.

Well - I like the feedback from making a deck look nice. You do an incredible job painting a house - and people sort of take it for granted it seems.

+1. Wood is a natural material made from the elemental and spiritual properties of the universe. Our job is to make it look even better!

That's the attitude!

A customer's gratitude is shown in full when he hands you a check. That makes me feel pretty good. :D

Agreed, and tips are nice too.