Sign in to follow this  
bigchaz

What the heck is this??

Question

First picture is before we cleaned the deck. Second picture the deck is stained...ignore the color...will be redoing it next week. But what is the cause of these squiggly lines?

First thought Jake had when he saw it was a pressure washer going at uneven distances. The homeowner did attempt to clean his own deck but I asked him about it and he only used a bucket and deck brush. My helper did this one and he knows that my cardinal rule for pressure washing decks is to do each board in one pass, never stop and certainly never sweep from board to board.

I also stain with a pad and go up and down each board. So any ideas?

post-2382-137772253415_thumb.jpg

post-2382-137772253421_thumb.jpg

20 answers to this question

Definately looks like wand marks. Maybe the H.O. withheld info from you due to embarassment.

Looks larger than the typical DIY pw wand, maybe a turbo nozzle. Some home units have a turbo attachment.

That's my guess anyway.

I never noticed it until the deck was stained. Even when cleaned and dry there was no difference. It obviously affected the penetration of the oil or opened up the wood grain more in those areas since it is visible and touchably more oily in the dark areas

I never noticed it until the deck was stained. Even when cleaned and dry there was no difference. It obviously affected the penetration of the oil or opened up the wood grain more in those areas since it is visible and touchably more oily in the dark areas

That's what leads me to believe there was some type of solvent from spray paint. I'm reaching.. I dunno.

Is sanding the best way to get rid of it? I was only planning on stripping the top layer of oil off so I can recoat but after I saw that squiggle I need to figure how to remove it. Semi trans might mask it a little better though

What did you use to clean it with, percarb,F-18? Sanding isprobably the only way to mask it. I had some thing similar once when HO washed the their deck, & the Son decided to write his name on the deck, you really couldnt see that it ate in to the wood just left darker color. We sanded it what I would say was a medium sand & you could still see it faintly. You may have to sand it pretty hard.

Just a thought but did you try and put down another coat maybe? Not sure if that would bring the other boards into that deeper color range or not but it's something to try. I agree in that it seems there's something in the wood there that 1) is keeping all the finish from absorbing or 2) is shifting the pH and color of the wood to take the finish darker.

Yea I sampled that area with another coat but its too oily so the dark areas got darker and just didn't dry.

As it is in that picture it had tons of stain put down. (wet on wet but probably 3 back-brushings or coats in some spots) Ate it right up....except where you see the dark line

Edit: Here's a picture from the side. You can see the line based on the shininess

post-2382-137772253481_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigchaz

So solutions for chemical "sabatoge" as you call it? Do I need bare wood to rebalance PH with a good brightening?

In my opinion? Yes. Strip, brighten, seal. When dry evaluate, then seal when ready. Sorry...

Beth

Edited by Beth n Rod

looks like the stain you applied did not penetrate in to the wood which makes me think that there is a barrier. Perhaps the customer applied a clear sealer to the wood that was not removed during the cleaning process? I agree that a strip, brighten and restain should take care of it. I wouldnt charge them for the intial cleaning but would charge more for the stripping and would just explain that to the customer. Im also reaching with my opinion about the squiggly line but maybe after the deck was sprayed with the sealer the customer got rid of the little that was left over by over applying it and sprayed it in the shape of the squiggly line?

In the last photo it looks like bleach could have been miss used or just swished around and lighten that area. To correct a bleach solution can be used to even everything out. Do a sample area.