Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Cedar home, multi ipe' decks job

Question

This is a Diamond Jim - Windsor WoodCare production. New cedar sided home, with larch window and door frames. Ipe' dock, 3 separate ipe' decks, and ipe' front entrance.

Still in progress. It is a real pleasure and a hoot to be working with Jim Foley. The wood is not too shabby either...

post-170-137772260641_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772260651_thumb.jpg

24 answers to this question

I love modern homes - for some reason builders, architects, & building departments have all conspired together, imo, to rehash the same old 400 year old colonial design house in New England - it's time to let the past go.

The work by the two old guys who wrote the book on wood: Sweeeeeeet. ...

Ken,

Old guys is right. Jim and I were draggin' our bums today, doin' more talkin' than working. Jim and crew are doing the cedar home, we're doing the ipe'.

... The house: To each his own. To me it looks like a soulless cracker jack box.

It really is a nice design. I'll get a full front and back shot in a few days and post. The interior is really spectacular.

Pic taken this afternoon after sanding/buffing the ipe' on the "pool & spa" deck.

post-170-137772260683_thumb.jpg

Pat,

The ipe' and mahogany jobs we have done this year have really helped with cash flow, as the wood dries out fast. With all the rain this entire wood season, softwood jobs have been a real challenge to get stained.

Pictures 1 & 2. Armstrong-Clark cedar semi trans on the ipe' front entrance landing. Same stain on the smooth cedar T&G horizontal siding.

3rd picture is Ready Seal medium red stain on an ipe' "wing" deck.

post-170-137772261412_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772261422_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772261431_thumb.jpg

Edited by RPetry

... The house: To each his own. To me it looks like a soulless cracker jack box.

Ken,

A few pics of the back of the home facing the lake. IMO, this is no cracker jack box type of home. The architect did a good job, except for 2 friggin' electrical outlets on the lakeside of the house.

Fini. Done with the ipe'. This was the best job of the year so far. Terrific quality wood, detailed and demanding, yet wonderful customers. They care about their wood. Maintenance oiling of the ipe' in the spring.

post-170-137772261542_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772261552_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772261565_thumb.jpg

post-170-13777226165_thumb.jpg

Amazing!!!!!! And I agree - it's not a cookie cutter house.

Beth

Beth,

This is one great job and customer. Its gets no better than this. Understands ipe', wants it maintained, is critical but fair, and just wants his home looking like the multi million $ it deserves.

Terriic customer, terrific referral, terrific wood. These are the customers you work years and strive for.

Sweet Rick. I love the red tone of the RS.

Adrian,

Me too. Ipe' has a lot of natural "red" in the nature of the wood anyway. Might as well highlight it!

Color swatches done on the "fire pit" ipe' cover underside. RS natural cedar on the left, medium red on the right. Both are "red", but its not the RS stain, it is the wood. Ipe' has a natural mind of its own.

So, might as well highlight the wood. It is what it is. After spending $94K on the ipe' decks, dock, and front entrance, show off the real wood.

Not a tough sell.

post-170-137772261674_thumb.jpg

Amazing!!!!!! And I agree - it's not a cookie cutter house.

Beth

Beth,

Every door and window was hand crafted in Austria. Every door and window was installed by the same craftsmen who built them. Flew them over, put them up in hotels plus per diem. Nothing "cookie cutter" about this home.

That House and Deck should be a Cover picture and story for any homes magazine. Somebody should contact "The Cleaner Times" to look into this. Absolutely Beautiful work. That house is Architecturally Beautiful even if it doesn't fit ones taste. Stunning!!!!!!

Rick email me your home address I have something that you can use...well hopefully not but its good to have anyway.

clncounty@aol.com

... Rick email me your home address I have something that you can use...well hopefully not but its good to have anyway. ...

John,

Thanks for your help, nice to have a law enforcement friend. Does it come with ammo? Hah!

Nice work guys! I met Jim in Albany and very much enjoyed talking shop with a serious woodie! We are spending most of our season working on new and old cedar and exotics. Hoping for an indian summer as well.