X-Jet or Shur-flo

which do you prefer: X-JET or Shur-flo  

71 members have voted

1. 1. which do you prefer: X-JET or Shur-flo

• X-JET
    • Shur-flo
    • Both
    • Neither

which is better? To me they both seem to do the same job. I currently have neither, and am wonder which one I should get. Any and all comments, pros and cons for each, etc would be greatly appreciated.

I would get the Xjet first,it will pull chemicals at whatever the gpm's of your machine are.They both have there place,but for housewashes I would invest in the Xjet beofre a shur-flo.Remember with an Xjet you can apply and rinse with it.The shur-flo give you more equipment to move around.

It should not be an either or question as both have their place as equipment is concerned. There are things that the Shurflo will do that the X-Jet can't and vice versa.

Just a couple of examples:

The Shurflo can apply chemicals at full strength, where the X-Jet can't.

The X-Jet can shoot chemicals 30 ft into the air where the Shurflo can't.

How does the Shurflo handle strong/caustic chemicals over time? Is it okay to pump something like acid or bleach (full strength) through the pump for extended periods of time (3+ hours) if fresh water is run through afterwards? Replacement parts or easy serviceability? I would like to put together a shur-flo setup....thinking of the long-term problems.

Ryan,

Just make sure you flush out the pump after each use. I really mean after each use. I would not wait until I got home at the end of the day. There are replacement parts for these pump and if your not mechanically challenge it's fairly easy to do the repairs on them.

If I had to choose wich one to buy first, it would be the X-jet and then the surflo setup. They both have there places in our toolboxes and both have pros and cons.

Ryan, regarding corrosion, pick a pump without a screw in the path of the fluid, and use seals appropriate for the material being pumped - EPDM, but more probably viton.

Everett is absolutely correct. I carry a spare pump in the trailer, and I even have a spare in the garage. In my experience, the pressure switch is what typically fails. I've also found it best to solder all exterior wire connections, then encase them in shrink tubing. Corrosion can be your worst enemy.

As far as pumping chems is concerned, I have put many different chems thru my pump, and of course follow up afterward with fresh water for a rinse. In three years, I'm happy to report very good results with my sureflow setup.

I have never used anything but a Shur-Flo for applying my chemicals and always, ALWAYS run several gallons of water though when done.

X-Jet for my purpose would be over kill but someday would like to see one in action.

I have some Shurflo pumps that have been running over 3 years.

Had two that I thought were dead but when I took them apart, everything was

in good shape. There was some corrosion on the external switch that was causing the problems.

Reassembly is a bit of a trick and it helps to have the right tools to hold the springs down while you are replacing the cover. Other than that, (IMHO) Shurflo pumps with Viton seals are the only way to go for acids and high alkalyn solutions.

I use the X-jet for house and the shurflow for most everything else. The exception being decks - I use the one that is fastest for the situation and that is considering what floor the deck is on and the type of landscaping around the deck.:usa:

Bruce

I had a job a few days ago that was 2,240 linear ft of picket fence. Not fun. It was grayed with some tough mold spots under the trees. I had my helper pumping on citralic and it was working fine, but the dark green mold spots weren't budging. On a whim I went to the truck and pulled out a half bucket of house wash with the x-jet still attached, snapped it on and shot about 16 ft of fence. Instantly the fence brightened up and the pump spray labor was eliminated. My helper was no longer needed to spray the fence ahead of me thus shaving about 3-4 hrs off the job. Thanks again x-jet!

We have an x-jet which is wonderful for the high houses we get. We also have a dual electric pump setup (Cobra JobBoss which I think is along the Flojet type) that has its own purposes. When there are two doing brick, pump system is outstanding....one applying acid & one washing right behind. We run a minimum of 5 gallons clean water immediately after every job (on the site, not after we get home). We're thinking about spraying stain with that as well....but that's still in the thinking stages, no practical testing yet.

The x-jet is an investment you will not regret at all.

I use the Shur flo to spray chems on the house and have my employee right behind me rinsing it off with an X-Jet. One thing I have stopped doing is pre wetting. I have done that all year and it comes out fine. I never leave anything on the hose long enough. That is for vinyl only. I use a strong house wash let it set for maybe 2 minutes and rinse off. Been finishing houses in under 90 minutes. The biggest hassles are the gutters. They take up most of my time. About the pre wet thing I do do that when doing most of everything else. Just not with vinyl houses.

I am debating on how I am going to setup my roof cleaning pump/setup. Right now I use the x-jet for the roofs I do, but its nothing but a pain. It gets the job done but it can't draw the chemical up to the roof from the ground, so I have to take 5 gallon bucket up on the roof(not fun). Then I have an extra hose to work with while on the roof(not fun). Then everything gets a fine mist of sodium hydroxide on it(not good). I have not yet experimented with the shurflo pumps but I have heard they have a problem pushing the chemical great distances(150-200ft) without losing a lot of flow. I need at least 2-3 gallons per minute at the peak of a roof. The problem is I can't really get that flow rate without using something like a roller pump with a gas engine setup. The problem with that is, once your up on the roof you don't want to get back down for any reason(such as turning off the extra gas engine). Plus the extra maintainence and worry involved with another engine. One idea I had, was using an electric motor/roller pump that I could plug into the polarized outlet on my skid unit. That way once I climb up on the roof I can use my remote to start the pw'r then the roller pump is ready to roll. Since its an electric motor there is little/no maintainence and it won't have to be shut down after I apply the chem. My problem is that I know very little about electrical applications. What would be compatible and what wouldn't. How the roller pump and motor would act when not in use, what kind of switches(pressure/flow) the roller pump has. If this setup would even work or not. Any helping hints would be appreciated.

Just wondering why you need 150-200 ft of chem line if you can reach it with a x jet which only shoots about 30-40 ft? I use a 1.6 gal/100 psi for whatever and it has no problem pushing what seems like full pressure thru 100 ft. of 3/8 hose.

Dale, is your shurflo chem source on your rig or on a cart? the reason I ask is because 100ft doesnt seem like it would be enough chem line to reach all areas of the roof on some houses unless you were toting a cart around the perimeter of the house.