Follow up call

Which method to you use for a follow-up call to get the job:  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which method to you use for a follow-up call to get the job:

• An aggressive Call To Action Approach
    • A passive friendly approach

Question

Aggressive:

“Hi Mr. / Mrs. ___________, this is Joe from PowerWash Solutions calling. I enjoyed meeting with you and presenting you with a proposal for your job. I’d love to go over any questions that you may have as soon as possible. We are booking next weeks schedule, so we would really like if you were on board as well. Talk to you soon, Thanks, Joe.”

Passive:

"Hi Mr. / Mrs. ___________, this is Joe from PowerWash solutions calling to check in to see if you had any questions about the estimate. If you have any questions, feel free to give me a call at 715-248-3392. I am looking forward to working with you. Thanks, Joe."

Hey guys/girls,

I am in need of some help on creating a basic follow up script for after an estimate. I was wondering what the rest of you guys do and how successful it is.

Thanks, Joe

Edited by Little Buddy

41 answers to this question

I agree that getting the sale on the spot, but i am trying to view it through my eyes if i were the home owners. Like most people here, i would like a passive approach and time to think about it. I don't like pushy sales people, and if i have no idea how much it cost to redo a deck, i would want to shop around.

Ditto.

Rick,

With the email bid, do they print it off, sign it, and then mail it back to you, or do you just pick up the signed estimate/contract the day of the job? How do you inform the homeowners about this process?

Thanks, Joe

Rick,

With the email bid, do they print it off, sign it, and then mail it back to you, or do you just pick up the signed estimate/contract the day of the job? How do you inform the homeowners about this process?

Thanks, Joe

Joe,

Some actually do that, although I never request a signing and mailing back in. To be honest, maybe 75% of the time I never ask for a signed contract. Smaller jobs I do not ask for even a materials deposit at the start of work. Full payment is due on completion. We did a 4K ipe' job this year that I never asked for a materials or progress payment. Depends on the customer. I've gotten a fair amount of jobs over the years because I didn't require a deposit.

Building a business relationship has a lot to do with trust. You get a feel for residential customers very quickly. Most I trust right out of the box. Others I guess I mis-read as I have not been stiffed for a dime in 8 years.

But I am somewhat lucky in that I chose who we do work for as much as the customer choses our services. And we generally service higher end demographics.

B is the answer I use now. I used to spend lots of time at people houses trying to get them to sign, but I've found that couple's like to discuss spending that kind of money, and pressuring them is not a good sales technique. All I usually tell them if they are home is that I'm here to do some measurements and testing, and that I'll e-mail them an estimate. This gives you contact with them twice vs. the initial consult. Of course I give them the usual spiel about stain, restoration process, etc. They also get a nice brochure with that info along with other services we provide. Many times a homeowner will ask about house washing or roof cleaning after reading the brochure. Now I'm selling added services. I schedule all estimates for one day of the week (usually Friday because it's payday). There's lots more to this, but you get the idea. It really is a process that you have to develop, and it changes as your business does.

See i am torn between what you do and what Celeste does. I would love to do all the estimates on a Friday or whenever (possible a rainy day too) but i also want to meet with the homeowner, so i doubt scheduling all the bids on Friday would work. Plus scheduling on Friday raises another red flag for me. I was always under the impression that there was a 24 or 48 hour rule. Once the homeowner calls, you better give them a bid ( or at least meet with them) within 48 hours. So this is what i was thinking. I will try and schedule bids Wednesday evenings and Friday evens, until i get busy, then it will go to every evening. After meeting with them and answering questions, leaving a brochure of other services is a GREAT idea mike, send them an email the day after as well as giving the heads up that i will call a few days later if i don't hear back.

A brochure and a fridge magnet will be left with the home owner, and then the estimate will be emailed with a nice cover letter, sample contract, maintenance program.

After the job is completed, I will then try and sell the maintenance program as well as other services if needed.

thanks for all the info guys, special thanks to Celeste, rick, and mike

I was thinking of taking the measurements of the of other things like the house, roof, concrete that could also be cleaned then email them a seperate estimate for those services as well. I am sure they would be asking about them anyways after looking at my future website and brochure.

Something else to consider when scheduling estimates - your current schedule & route. We used to do the one day for estimates thing but when gas shot through the roof, that went by the wayside. Potential customers had NO problem getting scheduled when we were in their area working....since it kept our estimates free and that sort of logical thinking. Sometimes it's easier to keep a clean shirt in the truck than run all over.

PWS, let me assure you that your closing ratio when performing estimates on the spot will far outweigh and give you greater return than sending out fancy email packages. I've done it both ways. I have to schedule my estimates days in advance during the busy season. This allows me to route estimates together. People have no problem waiting. A side benefit is it lets people have all the other new guys give their estimates first.

Its natural for people to shy away from the sales route as we all hate being pressured. You don't have to pressure anyone but, as a business owner, you will have to overcome your fear/apprehension of asking for the sale.

I have all the professional graphics, brochures, YouTube channels, references etc. I also have enough command of the English language to put sentences together and convey my points along with a long history of selling and properly wording marketing materials. My closing rate when done via email is about 30%. Closing on face to face sales about 50%. This is just food for thought when considering your options.

Not trying to be argumentative with Ken, the master of sales - but you will find YOUR match Joe. Not all business plans are the same, not all strengths are the same and certainly not all demographics are the same. Pennsylvania is nothing like North Carolina which is likely nothing like Wisconsin. Our closing ratio via email is considerably higher than 50%. Roger sells himself before he sells any job - after that the price part is easy.

Yea, i was going to sell myself, my service and quality, and educate the customer just to set their expectations that my price will not be the lowest or the highest. Then in the email, they will get the price and wont be shocked. I think I will schedule estimates for Wednesday and Friday evenings for the reason you all stated. First, it will save gas by allowing me to schedule them in a route. Secondly, it allows the customers have someone else come out before me, so they can get an idea, and hopefully I'm the last one they talk to. Lastly, I because it is in the evenings, i hope i can meet with the majority of the homeowners (both of them). Requiring their email will also allow me to save money on flyer's and reminder mailings because i can just send them via email. So when its time to do a maintenance call, just email them a postcard/flyer reminder. After you get a few thousand emails from customers and just estimates, this can now be a very effective marketing tool that is FREE! I am sure my business model will include a little of everyones ideas.

If i need helpers, they are going to go through a temp service because the legal mumbo jumpo is too expensive, and i cannot afford to pay them cash out of my pocket (still have to pay taxes on money i don't have and no taxable deduction).

and hopefully I'm the last one they talk to

I prefer to be the first, and set the bar high. Give them info that only experienced wood restoration pro's would have.

Not all business plans are the same, not all strengths are the same and certainly not all demographics are the same. Pennsylvania is nothing like North Carolina which is likely nothing like Wisconsin. Our closing ratio via email is considerably higher than 50%.

I'll agree with Celeste on this as well. I've been down both roads, and the time I save not chasing down homeowners, outweighs the face-to-face factor.

Lastly, I because it is in the evenings, i hope i can meet with the majority of the homeowners (both of them)

As my company is about 65% commercial, evenings are reserved for my family time. After 9pm I'm on the road doing commercial concrete.

You really need to understand that there is no one perfect answer. As Celeste mentioned, Ken is a sales guru, and does very well. My method works perfectly for my time constraints, and keeps me on task.I do OK too....

I was just wondering what do you guys do for stain choice? I was thinking of only stocking 4 colors of stain and either bringing a sample board with to place on their deck or have the picture of the sample plank on my website and brochure. Just some rough ideas for now. I will mention to them the "most popular color" just in case they have a hard time deciding.

also for direct mailing, i was looking at www.printdirectforless.com and was wondering if anyone can attest to their customer service and quality of products.

Thanks, Joe

I was just wondering what do you guys do for stain choice? I was thinking of only stocking 4 colors of stain and either bringing a sample board with to place on their deck or have the picture of the sample plank on my website and brochure. Just some rough ideas for now. I will mention to them the "most popular color" just in case they have a hard time deciding. ...

Joe,

This is where taking a lot of photos pays off. Carry a photo album on your truck with pics of your primary stain colors on various species of wood. After doing this work after a while, you just about know what each stain will look like on various types and conditions of wood.

In maybe 75% of the time, customers will defer to my stain color suggestion. For the other 25%, we put stain samples down on their wood after prepped.

This is not difficult or time consuming. After stripping/cleaning and applying an acid, use a hair dryer on one horiz. board and turn it on "high" while you are cleaning up and packing the truck. From sample containers (most stain manu's can provide them), put down 3 or 4 small stain samples and take a picture.

Email that pic to your customer, along with a description, ie: "from left to right, light brown, medium red...". Gives the customer a template to identify their preferred color choice.

Your going to find through your own experience that marketing and sales come down to "six of one a half dozen of the other". There are things that work and don't work based on your style and your market. As you can see we all have opinions as to what works and those are differing fairly dramatically. My average deck price this year is coming in around $1700 which is dramatically different from 6 years ago when I chased $450 decks. In the beginning you do what you need to do to stay busy. I know very successful guys that probably average $450 per deck. They obviously need a much higher volume and would be spinning their wheels meeting with every customer. I am to the point now if a customer calls and they cannot meet with me, I start leaning towards sending them to someone else. If you cannot meet with me to begin establishing what I want to be a lifelong relationship, you may not be the customer I am seeking. Again time in business and YOUR business model is going to determine ultimately what path you take.

As far as employees.. I send the majority of mine through a leasing agency. My lead guy or myself interviews them and determines employment viability. They then go sign up at the leasing agency. Leasing agency covers the WC and all payroll taxes and they finance my payroll for 5 days which helps with cash flow.

Your going to find through your own experience that marketing and sales come down to "six of one a half dozen of the other". There are things that work and don't work based on your style and your market. As you can see we all have opinions as to what works and those are differing fairly dramatically. My average deck price this year is coming in around $1700 which is dramatically different from 6 years ago when I chased $450 decks. In the beginning you do what you need to do to stay busy. I know very successful guys that probably average $450 per deck. They obviously need a much higher volume and would be spinning their wheels meeting with every customer. I am to the point now if a customer calls and they cannot meet with me, I start leaning toward sending them to someone else. If you cannot meet with me to begin establishing what I want to be a lifelong relationship, you may not be the customer I am seeking. Again time in business and YOUR business model is going to determine ultimately what path you take.

As far as employees.. I send the majority of mine through a leasing agency. My lead guy or myself interviews them and determines employment viability. They then go sign up at the leasing agency. Leasing agency covers the WC and all payroll taxes and they finance my payroll for 5 days which helps with cash flow.

Totally agree. I am not sure which business model i am going to start with as i still have a good 8 months to decide that. At this point for my company, i cant afford to be as selective of potential customers as you. My idea of scheduling estimates on Wednesday and Friday evenings will work good for my business model for now, because i doubt my phone will constantly be ringing( at most maybe 1-2 calls a day to start). This will allow me to meet with the homeowners, educate and set their expectations, and try and sell them on quality as well as a maintenance program and other services. Then email them the estimate and terms and conditions later that evening. Follow up with a call a few days later to see it they have reached a decision or have any questions.

The last month of summer, my average job (only did 2) averaged out to $1,800. This summer i bet i could do $20,000 or better, with some marketing. I'm still working on getting a logo designed as well as finding someone to build me a website for free or a small fee, one of the benefits of college i guess.

I have probably a good 30+ pages of notes i have to sift through on bidding/estimating/followup calls i have to go through and memorize the lingo. I have much more on marketing before/after/and during the job that i have to implement and price out as well.

This place is awesome, and i probably learned what would take someone ,20 years ago, 3 years in business in probably 3 months because of you guys on these boards. Now all i have to do is smooth out the seams and roll out the kinks and PowerWash Solutions will be a well oiled machine come summer.

Thanks, Joe