Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Purple Wood. Scratching my head!!!

Question

1000 sq. ft. deck. Stripped and prepped 2 days ago. No Problems, looked good when I left. Most here know my abilities.

All of the Tannin family came out of the wood. i,e, pine cones, needles, pecans, lots of pecans.

I come back this morning to knock out the flatwork that suffers from the same tannin family. Tackled it ok for 5ksqft and being an old guy. Tannin gone. All clean except for these purple crap stains.

Well some form of bird flock decided they wanted to roost in the 100 ft. pines above the deck. Purple Poo everywhere filled with gooey berries and whatever else comes out of a skyrats belly, on my nice prepped deck.

AAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhgggggggggg. I walked away and went to do the flatwork just to see if it would come out of the concrete.

No luck. all the stains gone except the purple poo skyrat delight.

I tried straight spot to spot 12%, tried hydrox spot to spot, even tried ox acid to maybe change the color of it.

No Luck. I am not as concerned about the concrete.

Will this crap come out of wood?

It looks like a rain shower of PURPLE POO SPLASHES.

anyone have the fix?

I felt like a novice trying different mixes today, my shoulders are sore, I missed Becker, I'm running behind, didn't even eat breakfast today.

....help !!!!! it's all stacking up. Trainwreck. Need a clone of me to be on 3 other jobs.

ugh!!!! Kleenex please.

All because of some stupid SH&T and it's purple.

17 answers to this question

Here's a pic of this sh&&&&t.

Ain't this some.........

What a bunch of ................

I can't believe this ...................

feel free........ might as well.

somewhere amongst all this sh&&&&&&t, there must be a SOLUTION to get it out.

Beth, Rod, Rick, Ken, did I ever mention that you guys are the swh&&&&&&&&&&&&T.

post-1033-137772269262_thumb.jpg

You should be able to sand it out Adrian.

WHAT???????

Me, sand. kidding.

I thought the same thing.

I was just a little p.o'd and didn't even look at the deck again today.

It looks deep though.

Will probably stain with RS M. Red, so it might not show up.

sanding...... sheees.

Just get down on your hands and knees and sand the Sh*t out of it...:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously...........sand it.

Beth

Yep. That might be the only way.

Work is so freakin stacked up that it will be a few days before I stain it.

I'm afraid to see it when I get back.

That's some funny sh&&&&&t by the way Beth.

Oh Yeah, that is going to leave stains. They will probably show up as dark spots. Dyes and pigments don't mix with or mask each other.

That's why I really really hope she chooses Dark Red instead of medium.

Edited by Adrian

Beth,

That old thread is downright hilarious. The pelican picture is amazing.

Adrian,

That is some foul berry bird poop. Aside from hand scrubbing with soap and water, or Jim's suggestion of steel wool and stain, don't know. If the bird stuff has dried, sanding might work, but if still wet, I'd be afraid of driving the berry juice down into the wood, especially pressure treated pine.

This is making me sick to my stomach, think I'll stop now.

Beth,

That old thread is downright hilarious. The pelican picture is amazing.

Adrian,

That is some foul berry bird poop. Aside from hand scrubbing with soap and water, or Jim's suggestion of steel wool and stain, don't know. If the bird stuff has dried, sanding might work, but if still wet, I'd be afraid of driving the berry juice down into the wood, especially pressure treated pine.

This is making me sick to my stomach, think I'll stop now.

Well, here's the scoop on the poop.

Peirce, with RS contacted me and made a great suggestion that worked a bit. Algae brush with mineral spirits.

I did not score an algae brush, but used a stiffy on a few of the spots.

The mineral spirits did the trick on those spots for the most part. This method will have it's advantage on the day of the upcoming spray. In case the birds do this sh&&&&&t to me again. The min. spirits do not affect the stain he says and can spray right away.

However I could clearly see where the spirits "offset the ox'd areas.

soooooo....

Next method on a few more poop drops wash good ol' soapy water. Just could not get it below the surface.

Blah !!! waste of time. No affect. Again the soap offset the ox'd areas.

Next method was (ugh ) sanding which made a big difference.

But the tractor parts that hold my shoulder together let me know I need better sand equipment. Result= Very slight hint of the skyrat juice. Easily hidden with any stain.

My last and final approach was actually the most successful result.

I reapplied some hydrox in very light mix. Then reapplied some ox to that area. Basically I just started over on a 150 sq. ft. section.

I re-applied to all the other test areas as well. and it did the trick.

I am also going to keep the steelwool and stain hint for the day of the spray as well as the min. spirits. Just in case the skyrats come back with some more grape juice, or choco milk, or licorice whips.

For the record or for anyone that cares, the purple poop is still on the concrete. None of these methods budged the stain at all.

Plus the customer is so cool with the overall outcome of the "black to white" driveway that she doesn't even give a sh&&&&&t about the sh&&&&&t.

But, i would still like to wow her by getting those stains out as well.

Lithium Hydroxide....... hmmmmmm..... i'll get back to you on that one.

What about the white spots from the bleach?

I have used bleach on many many of our deck jobs with no spotting ever. We just did a huge Ipe job surrounded by redwood trees that had a bad year of dropping the red colored stuff. It was so thick that I was not sure about bleach working but it did the job after a few coats. I don't think you want to do just one area with the bleach but if you do the whole thing it looks great. I went to the Ipe job a few days earlier to test the bleach on a few boards and it removed the redwood stain without changing the color of the wood. Just mix 1/1 with water and pump spray it on. No brushing, let the bleach do the work.