Sign in to follow this  
gutterdog

new idea! bout gutters.

Question

Charging for gutters. One straight price, one hit, on gutters, with house wash mix.

2 options!

(some gutters need a second hit with chems. Some need a scrub.)

I take that gamble in my hands. or

up my price a percentage.

bid in xtra work.

bid in what i expect to see.

always tell the customer to expect less!

102 answers to this question

Ken, in my market it is the accepted norm/standard. Don't clean the gutters and people call you back. It is just incleded in with the prtice, like cleaning the front steps, brushing window sills, etc. If you can charge extra for it, go for it by all means. I get paid for, it is just in how you look at it. When you come down here to take over the office, you can upcharge for it so I can just spray water.

Everyone has a point.

I really think the options are the way to go. the e-mail job may just want or afford a basic wash.

The next couple of houses I do, one thurs, and one fri, are getting a free wax. Why free??? Because I want to see the difference. Told them it was free too.

Got an estimate tomorow in nice neighborhood. Been there before. Just gutter cleans I think, I may have washed a house in there? I'm going to try the menu options again. see if I can sell her the upgrades.

1 job was a word of mouth! 1 was a house I washed over 2 years ago!

Ken, in my market it is the accepted norm/standard. Don't clean the gutters and people call you back. It is just incleded in with the prtice, like cleaning the front steps, brushing window sills, etc. If you can charge extra for it, go for it by all means. I get paid for, it is just in how you look at it. When you come down here to take over the office, you can upcharge for it so I can just spray water.

Wow!!! You skip the gutters all together? And they call you back for more work? I gotta move down there! (Just messin')

Edited by gutterdog

What does North South Redneck Yankee have to do with anything? There are car washes in North and South Carolina that sell basic washes all the way up to supreme washes with wax and Armor All. If the demographic argument held any water, every car wash in the Carolinas would offer one service.. COMPLETE.

I think ice cream parlors down south might even offer more than one flavor. That's just rumor though. That's probably just a Yankee thing.

Again, the question goes unanswered. Why not include the roof and the sidewalks? There is no answer. Those things get upcharged. So do gutters. Why am I making a point of it? Because William made an ignorant remark that somehow charging for work performed is dishonest.

Edited by PressurePros

I am sure that I make lots of ignorant remarks, but I think you misunderstood me on this one Ken. You charge extra for gutters. I charge extra for gutters but it is included in the overall price. My phone calls with customers last about 20 seconds. They say they want their house washed, I give them a price and tell them it includes vertical surfaces and hand scrubbing of the gutters. They now know it doesn't include decks, roofs, etc. If they tell me they don't have gutters I knock of 20 bucks or so and they think they got a great deal, which they did, and I don't have to scrub. You didn't answer my question. When you coming down here to handle the office side of things? I can't give you a company car but I will give you a basic car wash once a week. You have have to pay for the premium service.

NO - he means if the gutters aren't clean, you get called back because the job isn't done.

Demographics play a HUGE part in this. Yankees and Southerners just do things differently, that's all.

I lived in the carolinas for 12 years. It's where I belong. I'm too nice here. Down there id be perfect.

There may be some difference to customers up here and down there. Matter of fact I know there is. being nice up here is seen as a weakness.

I'm learning to belong here.

You dont have an underbidder there? Or do you scrub the gutters and all for free?

Can you do the house in an hour? can you do it for 219?

Down there things move slower. up here things change overnight. Franchises are going down.

Watch out when a yankee moves down there.

Might be me! I'd love to move back!

I had 12 years in selling beer when i moved up here. I worked 4+ years up here sellin beer. I swore southern hospitality would win. It only made me work harder, up here.

I still do it with gutterdogs. I'm changing that. If a customer can get over on you they will. Menu plan for me as soon as I can sell it!

Every angle is played up here...Against you and every angle someone has one. It's confusing but it isnt.

Edited by gutterdog

What does North South Redneck Yankee have to do with anything? There are car washes in North and South Carolina that sell basic washes all the way up to supreme washes with wax and Armor All. If the demographic argument held any water, every car wash in the Carolinas would offer one service.. COMPLETE.

I think ice cream parlors down south might even offer more than one flavor. That's just rumor though. That's probably just a Yankee thing.

Again, the question goes unanswered. Why not include the roof and the sidewalks? There is no answer. Those things get upcharged. So do gutters. Why am I making a point of it? Because William made an ignorant remark that somehow charging for work performed is dishonest.

+1 to the car wash.

I can't wait until I get my Super Duper Secret Agent Decorder Ring to desipher some of these messages. I'm tired of scratching my head when I read some of these post.

I so want to learn but man, this is starting to seem like work...lol

In Alabama we don't need fancy Up Sales and Deluxe packages.....Just know which hat to have on when you pull in the driveway.....Roll Tide Red or Auburn Orange and Blue..lol

I love the simple life!

AM I reading last few posts right?, Can we serve beer from our rigs as a package option?

Man, I hope OSHA don't catch me downstreaming Bud Lite without PPE....lol

Ken, I think you would agree that gutters can make a huge difference in the outcome of a job. So my question to you is, why would you want to allow the customer to decide this important detail. Especially when you consider the unaware customer may not even know how much of a difference it makes,...but you do. I personally couldn't wash the siding and allow the gutters to remain looking untouched. Just seems like a bad idea.

Also, seems to me it could possibly hurt "quality of work" advertising. Meaning, other potential customers, see those dirty gutters and figure you don't do the gutters,...and they aren't aware it was the customers' option.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

Jeff, Ken knows the value of gutter cleaning. He likes to bust my chops as we have had this conversation for years now:). Gutterdog, you do not need to come back to the Carolinas. You are fine where you are. "Can you wash a house in an hour?" If we can't wash an 1800 sq ft house and scrub gutters in 25 minutes then I am upset and asking what is taking so long. Gutters are not scrubbed for free, read my post. I don't play angles. I wash houses.

Jeff, Ken knows the value of gutter cleaning. He likes to bust my chops as we have had this conversation for years now:). Gutterdog, you do not need to come back to the Carolinas. You are fine where you are. "Can you wash a house in an hour?" If we can't wash an 1800 sq ft house and scrub gutters in 25 minutes then I am upset and asking what is taking so long. Gutters are not scrubbed for free, read my post. I don't play angles. I wash houses.

It still takes me longer to wash houses. I've cut time in half. I dont know square footages though, to have an idea what you are talking about in size.

I found something called x-777. It takes me 2-3 times as long to rinse till I'm happy and dont see soap bubbles, as it takes to get the mix up there.

The x-777 stuff is supposed to reduce that time. Does it work?

Another question. Ive never scrubbed gutters. (dont laugh) I bought everything I need yesterday. The 23 ft extension etc. I opend it up all the way and wonder how do you use it? It goes all over the place!!! Alot lighter than the 24ft telescoping wand I bought years ago! Its in the shed somewhere, lol!!! There are actually 2 of them. the first one i bought the tighteners or whatever went bad quick. bought another one and lost interest in using them.

We use 12 foot poles with a brush on the end. Climb the ladder, pump spray, brush 24 feet of gutter, come down and rinse.

I seen the half round brush. Supply co out right now. That would have to be brushed from the ground. The way the brush is shaped. What I bought, the way the brush is shaped has to be from ground?

I'm assuming these are back pack pump ups. Climbing ladder with sprayer and 12 foot brush.

A job I estimated today had punished gutters. Needs a brush front and back. 3 stories in the back. Couldn't you use a shureflow setup to get the chems there? I'm really thinking next thing I'm buying...

...Since I sold my first commercial roof wash today! Been doing their gutters for 4 years now. The people on the committee I've also done work for. Little thing they didn't read is I want something up front. Find out tomorrow! If I get some up front money guess what I'm buying??

Figured OK to add here because roof washing an add on too.

Ken, I think you would agree that gutters can make a huge difference in the outcome of a job. So my question to you is, why would you want to allow the customer to decide this important detail. Especially when you consider the unaware customer may not even know how much of a difference it makes,...but you do. I personally couldn't wash the siding and allow the gutters to remain looking untouched. Just seems like a bad idea.

Also, seems to me it could possibly hurt "quality of work" advertising. Meaning, other potential customers, see those dirty gutters and figure you don't do the gutters,...and they aren't aware it was the customers' option.

Jeff

Why give something extra for free. Or loose the job because of a competitor priced it just washing the house and no scrub?

I been washing houses for 4 years now and didnt know the difference till this year. I dont think the customer knows either.

All we can do is explain the difference and cross our fingers. Or match the price of just the wash, make some money. And dont scrub the gutters. Just xjet or downstream them. Call it a day, get paid.

I seen the half round brush. Supply co out right now. That would have to be brushed from the ground. The way the brush is shaped. What I bought, the way the brush is shaped has to be from ground?

I'm assuming these are back pack pump ups. Climbing ladder with sprayer and 12 foot brush.

A job I estimated today had punished gutters. Needs a brush front and back. 3 stories in the back. Couldn't you use a shureflow setup to get the chems there? I'm really thinking next thing I'm buying...

...Since I sold my first commercial roof wash today! Been doing their gutters for 4 years now. The people on the committee I've also done work for. Little thing they didn't read is I want something up front. Find out tomorrow! If I get some up front money guess what I'm buying??

Figured OK to add here because roof washing an add on too.

We use 1/2 gallon pump sprayers from home depot. Spray the gutter, brush onece, rinse, done. 1/2 gallon will do 2 houses. You can't get the spray on the house.

Why give something extra for free. Or loose the job because of a competitor priced it just washing the house and no scrub?

I been washing houses for 4 years now and didnt know the difference till this year. I dont think the customer knows either.

All we can do is explain the difference and cross our fingers. Or match the price of just the wash, make some money. And dont scrub the gutters. Just xjet or downstream them. Call it a day, get paid.

You lost me here,...what is being given away?

You didn't know the difference from what,....cleaned gutters compared to dirty gutters?

Are you saying you've never cleaned gutters with the proper cleaner in 4 years?

Sorry,..but your post is hard to decipher.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

We use 1/2 gallon pump sprayers from home depot. Spray the gutter, brush onece, rinse, done. 1/2 gallon will do 2 houses. You can't get the spray on the house.

I don't think I've ever seen half gallon pump sprayers? My first one is a bleach approved 1 gallon sprayer from the depot. Later I bought a 2 gallon bleach approved sprayer from lowes.

Little pump sprayers dont shoot very far. Especially 12 feet. You need a psi rated sprayer to get any distance is my understanding. A psi rated sprayer is something I dont have yet.

There must be a big difference in size of houses for 1/2 gallon to do 2 houses. That is the houses you are doing and the houses I am doing.

Please enlighten me!!! Also I'm asuming you are using what is accepted for gutters???

Also why cant you get any on the house?

Now I'm thinking you are using something else???

Came back to say I got the signed contract for the roofs at the golf corse! Bought the supplies yesterday!!

MMMMMM!!!! It's fresh from the manufacturer too!!!

Edited by gutterdog

You lost me here,...what is being given away?

You didn't know the difference from what,....cleaned gutters compared to dirty gutters?

Are you saying you've never cleaned gutters with the proper cleaner in 4 years?

Sorry,..but your post is hard to decipher.

Jeff

I have been washing houses for 4 years.

The beginning of this year I found out about sunbright.

Higher quality! and faster washing!!!

I didnt know gutters could get that clean till this year.

Meeting with a house I washed 2 years or more ago. She is going to freak out after I wash her house this time! She gave me alot of word of mouth back then too! Sure I'll get the same again!!!

(maybe I'll scrub her gutters for free)

I don't think I've ever seen half gallon pump sprayers? My first one is a bleach approved 1 gallon sprayer from the depot. Later I bought a 2 gallon bleach approved sprayer from lowes.

Little pump sprayers dont shoot very far. Especially 12 feet. You need a psi rated sprayer to get any distance is my understanding. A psi rated sprayer is something I dont have yet.

There must be a big difference in size of houses for 1/2 gallon to do 2 houses. That is the houses you are doing and the houses I am doing.

Please enlighten me!!! Also I'm asuming you are using what is accepted for gutters???

Also why cant you get any on the house?

Now I'm thinking you are using something else???

Came back to say I got the signed contract for the roofs at the golf corse! Bought the supplies yesterday!!

MMMMMM!!!! It's fresh from the manufacturer too!!!

I have no idea what you are talking about with psi approved. I use Gutter Zap or Viper Venom(Landa). I spray it undiluted on the gutter, then scrub. All it has to do is touch the gutter. You don't have to soak it. If you don't know what it will do to siding go spray some on a customers house then get back to me. It boogles my mind that you want help, help is given, then you argue about it. I guess it boogles my mind than others and myself keep trying to help. I quit as of now. Good luck with you endeavors and mastery of the English language.

william,

remember that movie starring jodie foster about the girl named nell who was found in the north carolina mountains? didn't gutterdog say he lived in north carolina for a while? i think we found her brother.

rando