Sign in to follow this  
homemechanixcny

The word "Chemical"

When talking to customers I always try to avoid using the word chemical. For some reason chemical has always been associated with some real nasty stuff. Some people actually get scared thinking acid and such. I get a much more laid back reaction when I use "detergents", "soap", "cleaning solution" etc. It puts people at ease instead of scaring them saying I am using some sort of frankentien mix.To me it just sounds less threatening. What do you people think? Thanks for the replies.

Edited by homemechanixcny

Do what works. They put 'chemicals' into their dishwasher, clothes washer, shower, sinks. People put 'chemicals' just about everywhere - so why should they suddenly freak out if we're going to put them on the outside of their homes?

I agree "chemicals" is not a customer friendly term. "Chemicals" cause burns, release toxic fumes, kill plants, present risk to children and pets, etc. Since a person's perception is their reality, I am on the same page with you. There are other terms that accomplish the goal of letting people know that "landscape friendly cleaners" do the work.

Overall, good advice. With exceptions. For wood restoration, I always tell my customers exactly what chems we will be using on the job. But there is an acceptable way of doing this.

For example, wood cleaners are sodium percarbonate based. Most do not know the term, but they do know and often use Oxiclean. Instead of acid, we use "food grade citric acid". Its drinkable for humans and contains a ton of vitamin C !

Strippers are a different story. For very difficult finishes to be removed, the "hot" and "boosted" NaOH mixes are highlighted. Customers want that foul looking finish off and all of a sudden, "nasty" chems are of benefit. I also let them know these types of strippers are not something they or Joe Handyman can buy at Home Depot.

Overall, good advice. With exceptions. For wood restoration, I always tell my customers exactly what chems we will be using on the job. But there is an acceptable way of doing this.

For example, wood cleaners are sodium percarbonate based. Most do not know the term, but they do know and often use Oxiclean. Instead of acid, we use "food grade citric acid". Its drinkable for humans and contains a ton of vitamin C !

Strippers are a different story. For very difficult finishes to be removed, the "hot" and "boosted" NaOH mixes are highlighted. Customers want that foul looking finish off and all of a sudden, "nasty" chems are of benefit. I also let them know these types of strippers are not something they or Joe Handyman can buy at Home Depot.

I agree Rick,

Some of these customers know that they potentially have a nightmare project on their hands and want reassurance of an effective " application"

that is the cure.

That is a selling tool for wood.

As far as house washes and flatwork some of the names of chems can be scary to the customers. They want a gentle approach that will not harm the landscape or finish.

Great points!!

Sodium Hyochlorite is what is used to help make drinking water safe, by the city's purification plants. It is also used in the hospitals.

Sodium Hydroxide is used in the food industry.

I'm sure there are a few here on the board that could probably write an essay on the subject. Being well versed on the soaps, detergents, and cleaning agents that you use is just an extra tool in the selling proccess.

Hi Paul here the new green guy.

My only question to all does it kill the lawn,or plants?

If it does i'd call it chem, if it doesn't call it a cleaning solution.

Anyone check out the EPA website lately about all the chem's being eliminated?

You may find DIOXIN there,main ingredient of bleach and chlorine