How do you get referrals?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How do you get referrals?

• Ask for them
    • Wait for the cusomter to make the move
    • Other

Question

47 answers to this question

Trust me, all of the folks who get a $25 -$50 gift card from me this fall will remember who they got it from. Also, they then feel obligated to return the favor. Many great leads this way, and well worth the $$$. I laugh at the idea of the "warm fuzzy" you guys think you get because of a job well done, but that's your EGO talking. If you think folks are going out of their way to refer you because you were "such a special contractor" you're nuts. You're expected to do quality work, so actually doing it, isn't going to make them go out of their way for you. Money talks, plain and simple. I'm sure I'll get roasted for this, but it's the truth.. Go the extra mile to retain good customers, that's the bottom line.

Trust me, all of the folks who get a $25 -$50 gift card from me this fall will remember who they got it from. Also, they then feel obligated to return the favor. Many great leads this way, and well worth the $$$. I laugh at the idea of the "warm fuzzy" you guys think you get because of a job well done, but that's your EGO talking. If you think folks are going out of their way to refer you because you were "such a special contractor" you're nuts. You're expected to do quality work, so actually doing it, isn't going to make them go out of their way for you. Money talks, plain and simple. I'm sure I'll get roasted for this, but it's the truth.. Go the extra mile to retain good customers, that's the bottom line.

I think you're right on the money. I've investigated all those guys who keep busy by referrals only - like the very ones here talking about doing quality work and the whole nine yards. And in each case, these guys are what I would consider to be bottom feeding lowballers. I could be ultra busy too if I was willing to work for $8/hr. Heck a couple of weeks ago showed up to a customers house to clean her gutters, and ran into a painting crew doing her whole entire interior! And she never even asked me to bid - the guy doing the work has no van lettering, no lawn signs, never heard of him. He is being referred from one house wife to another because he is ultra cheap.

How is paying less for quality service a problem? Who cares if the guy doesn't have yard signs and a lettered van? My wife shops at Aldi's because the cost is low due to the fact that they don't have fancy signs/lighting/music like higher priced grocery stores do. I don't have yard signs or advertising either. Low price and good quality=good. Low price and bad quality=bad. From a customers viewpoint that is.

Because you are promoting the idea that it's ok to have a whole industry living at the poverty level. When some guy goes out with 6 employees, his whole crew works the entire year, and then brings home 45k when all is said and done. That's cool when the wifey is already making a 150k salary as a superintendent of some school district. But for the rest of us that depend upon our industry to make good money - you can't work at these price levels.

Low price and good quality=good. Low price and bad quality=bad. From a customers viewpoint that is.

It's a myth you can get good quality working contractors for cheap. My folks have dealt with contractors for 30 years. And every cheap contractor has delivered bad service and cheap quality.

The deal with painting - is that as a quality conscience minded contractor you are stuck with trying to solve all the hack jobs that preceded you. This is especially true of exterior painting. A paint job can look great, yet be lousy in reality. And when a quality contractor comes next time and does his best - and the paint bubbles everywhere, he's stuck explaining it has nothing to do with him, with angry homeowner doubting him.

All I'm saying is the guy that didn't advertise and used his quality work to land a job is working while you are complaining on the computer. Your numbers are way off on the 6 man crew working all year also. You know I love you but you gotta get out of this funk and get busy making a buck.

I put an ad out. Gutter cleaning as low as 60 bucks. Trying something new. Havent had an ad in many months.

Today, lol! A guy had gutter on all 4 sides of house and a garage the size of a house. Well that one I didnt do for 60 bucks (not much more). That just wouldnt be fair to me.

Well that lowballing. WTF. This thread was how to generate leads. (I'm really doing the lowballing, cause I can... and to mess with a new company (lowballer) that been around a year. I lost customers to this guy last year till I matched him.

Generate leads: One is quality. My neighborhood.... Tough customers! VERY tough!!! Always looking for something to get you to reduce the price or ask to do somethng extra for free. Get the most for your hard earn money. I dont blame them!

ASK ASK ASK them to refer you, tell a friend! When you go to a house look for another quality job you can do for them! .... I'm stepping this up another notch. Let you know how that goes!

REFERALS-WORD OF MOUTH, MAKE THEM LOYAL TO YOU.

Lets be nice now Dan... I'm getting my regular prices for gutter cleaning, AND doing the low ball stuff too. 80% of the time I charge a lil more than 60, 'cause of this, 'cause of that. You shoulld go back and read what I said again.

I dont know how your competition is, That is how it is 'round here. How big is the house you get 180 for cleaning the gutters? Round here that, if done off the ladder, and roof too steep to walk, and 40 foot ladder, price.

I'm thinking I may have worded something wrong... I'd love to get your prices round here. That aint happening. What all do you include at that price?

You keep "representing" whatever it is you are. I'll be out cleaning some gutters my friend.

Edited by gutterdog

Lets be nice now Dan... I'm getting my regular prices for gutter cleaning, AND doing the low ball stuff too. 80% of the time I charge a lil more than 60, 'cause of this, 'cause of that. You shoulld go back and read what I said again.

I dont know how your competition is, That is how it is 'round here. How big is the house you get 180 for cleaning the gutters? Round here that, if done off the ladder, and roof too steep to walk, and 40 foot ladder, price.

I'm thinking I may have worded something wrong... I'd love to get your prices round here. That aint happening. What all do you include at that price?

You keep "representing" whatever it is you are. I'll be out cleaning some gutters my friend.

Just did some gutters today that I priced $237 - total time on the job from pull-up to pull-out, 2 hours.

There you go, congrats.

William - before you go making judgements about being overpriced - this is way different gutter cleaning than what you are use to - I have to scoop out freaking compost. And some parts were just dirt - this is what we deal with in New England.

William - before you go making judgements about being overpriced - this is way different gutter cleaning than what you are use to - I have to scoop out freaking compost. And some parts were just dirt - this is what we deal with in New England.

Clean out your dadblamed inbox so I can send you something. Believe it or not it's me agreeing with you. We average about the same thing per hour, I just do more in less time.

Clean out your dadblamed inbox so I can send you something. Believe it or not it's me agreeing with you. We average about the same thing per hour, I just do more in less time.

Whats the big deal??? Put it here???

I just received a few request for deck restorations from people going to a Home Show and talking to deck builders. Some of the Photos in the booths are my work. Gotta love it !!