Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Have you survived the great Recession?

Ok - cognitive dissonance or not - we've been to the edge and back, we skirted a great depression. This was the absolute worst of times at least in the last 40 years. So are you still standing?

It occurred to me, that I learned a tremendous amount the last couple of seasons - and I am better off now than I was this time last year. And it also occurred to me - it's not going to get any worse - it's only going to get better.

So we have all learned to be lean and mean and survive this recessionary cycle, what plans do you all have for when things get 'easy'. Are we going to get 'plump' and ride the next easy wave - or are we going to use the tools we learned and really take all the meat off the bones?

This was my first year in the biz and I think I did pretty well. I started slow but things picked up during the end of the season. I am hoping to really take off next year. I formed a good customer base in a bad economic year so I figure it can only get better from here.

Ok - cognitive dissonance or not - we've been to the edge and back, we skirted a great depression. This was the absolute worst of times at least in the last 40 years. So are you still standing?

It occurred to me, that I learned a tremendous amount the last couple of seasons - and I am better off now than I was this time last year. And it also occurred to me - it's not going to get any worse - it's only going to get better.

So we have all learned to be lean and mean and survive this recessionary cycle, what plans do you all have for when things get 'easy'. Are we going to get 'plump' and ride the next easy wave - or are we going to use the tools we learned and really take all the meat off the bones?

Nice post Dan.

I have definately taken notes this yr. It has been an interesting year to say the least. Alot of great projects large and small. As well as some rethinking of models.

I don't think there has been a "next easy wave", it's all been work and progress.

However, you do know that rock and roll pays all my bills. :)

I just clean and restore for the love of it.

At least I will hold off from being a milkman for another week.

Hey Matt, nice to here you made it through and your future is looking bright. Any advice for a novice just starting out, with a tight budget?

Insurance, commercial grade equipment and this forum.

I formed a good customer base in a bad economic year so I figure it can

only get better from here.

Above the roar or under the radar, whatever it takes to keep your name out there.

The "Great Monsoon" was our biggest profit killer. Leads were up 20% or so with almost zero print advertising. I think I ran a classifieds ad for about a month and then pulled it. Dan, take this lesson with you through the remainder of your years. Economic slowdowns come and go. Flues come and go.. housing bubbles, market fluctuations, etc. Every one of those is always predicted to be the "worst one yet". In the end it is a natural ebb and flow cycle that repeats consistently. You already mentioned why a recession is a good thing for a business. It makes you tighten ship. Capitalism runs and corrects itself. That is why I remain in awe of it.

I weathered the storm and the Rain storms but I think people are hurting more now than before and I think it will be worse in the Spring. 1 in 6 Bank loans are in default.

In all my years of Biz I had the least amount of calls after labor day in my history for PW but I am still working now and expect to work up till Xmas doing some inside stuff.

The "Great Monsoon" was our biggest profit killer. Leads were up 20% or so with almost zero print advertising. I think I ran a classifieds ad for about a month and then pulled it. Dan, take this lesson with you through the remainder of your years. Economic slowdowns come and go. Flues come and go.. housing bubbles, market fluctuations, etc. Every one of those is always predicted to be the "worst one yet". In the end it is a natural ebb and flow cycle that repeats consistently. You already mentioned why a recession is a good thing for a business. It makes you tighten ship. Capitalism runs and corrects itself. That is why I remain in awe of it.

I feel your pain Ken. Ike did a number on us last year as well.

This has been the best year so far. Why do you think this was the worst recession in 40 years? Ken, I agree. Wow, imagine me saying that. Down turns like this just weed out the weaker competition or make it easier to buy them out.

This has been the best year so far. Why do you think this was the worst recession in 40 years? Ken, I agree. Wow, imagine me saying that. Down turns like this just weed out the weaker competition or make it easier to buy them out.

Right on !!!

I weathered the storm and the Rain storms but I think people are hurting more now than before and I think it will be worse in the Spring. 1 in 6 Bank loans are in default.

In all my years of Biz I had the least amount of calls after labor day in my history for PW but I am still working now and expect to work up till Xmas doing some inside stuff.

I agree. I dont know that I will ever feel comfortable declaring victory over this. Just makes you want to stay on your toes. I am not sure that the overall economy will recover to what it was for years to come. Not trying to come off all 'chicken little', but I think there are more hits to come before we are through it.

I know about the milkman but it was sad to see them stop delivering fresh milk.

Now the only milkmen we ever see is the ones 'milking' the clock. hehe

This year has been a test for many and we kept pushing to stay in front of our customers and it paid off...we stayed busy.

Rod!~

Every business should have a plan for economic downturn that they can implement if needed. Contingency planning is vital to the success of any business. As the saying goes....if you fail to plan, you are planning to fail. If you don't have a recovery plan for the upswing, now is the time for that too.

Beth

This year Ive become more street smart, got that book Ken! Havent had a chance to start reading it yet, A surface cleaner will be here tomorow! Work steadier, Survived a transmission that caught on fire, Havent advertised since I dont know when (Its been all word of mouth and repeat business!)but put one in for next week, want to be so busy I'm pullin my hair out and working in the rain to keep up. Started a second website. It will be all tightened up spring next year. I've got shiny ladders! LOL!!!

This has been a memorable year!!!

Jim - the national economy grew 3.5% in the 3rd quarter, but the economy in Massachusetts had a decline of -1.1%. So perhaps things are similar in Connecticut? Sometimes I don't get it, I've never seen such flaunting of wealth with big homes, big cars, tons of 'diva' high end beauty salons - and yet I've never seen such penny pinchers at the same time.

I agree. I dont know that I will ever feel comfortable declaring victory over this. Just makes you want to stay on your toes. I am not sure that the overall economy will recover to what it was for years to come. Not trying to come off all 'chicken little', but I think there are more hits to come before we are through it.

Scott - I don't think the economy is going to come roaring back full steam ahead like the years of '95-'99. And even though many economic factors are improving at break neck speed - some of them pertain to very narrow industries or regions of the county. Like in Massachusetts - O'bama through all his programs was perhaps responsible for the 3.5% national growth in the 3rd quarter through programs like cash for clunkers and the investments in highways, etc. But in a very local sense MA has seen a 1.1% negative decline in growth - cars aren't made in massachusetts among other things. So a very 'broad' market recovery is years in the making.

But I think we have seen the worst, we've learned many lessons and gained many tools along the way to help out in the tumultuous months ahead. One important lesson that I learned is that you don't need everyone to have money to purchase deck restorations or house washes. There is enough folks out there that will pay - if you know how to target them. In years past we as contractors had the luxury that a high degree of folks were capable of affording our services, everyone you sent a flier to was potentially your customer. Now, things are different, I've gotten some of my very largest jobs this year. Now I don't think I am in an economic climate where I could get 10 crews out there. But if I squeeze real hard there is just enough 'blood' in this economy for me to make through.

You may not have seen the worst yet! All these so called programs did was inflate the balloon and it is just ready to pop. Wow they sold thousands of cars. Now what happens come spring time? The idiots increased production because they were selling so many and now the CfC is gone! What do you do with the inventory now? All the people that were going to buy in spring now have a new car because they bought early. Like someone said earlier, more than 50% went to Japan.

Unintended concequences will rear it's ugly head. Gov't can't manipulate without doing more harm than good. All we have now is a sugar high. When that balloon pops it is going to be like ripping a bandaid off, it will hurt for a while and then the hurting stops.

Keep lean and stay lean because you will need it again soon.

glad you did well John, and thanks for the referrals. My year overall was so-so. Not quite as good as I had planned but better (12%) than last year.

There is plenty of money parked on the sidelines to get this country out of recession. Its not about money, never has been. Its about confidence.

While I will agree in part I will disagree in another. Confidence is a factor but money is a big part of it because of the amounts people lost in their investments.

Many people use those investment portfolios to plan on how they spend their money and when the market crashed it took a lot of what they had with it.

There is a rebound happening but it (the recession) is far from over.

It will take a few years for many to recover from it and for those who lost everything, who knows. They are still out there dealing with the foreclosures.

Yes, there are those who invested wisely and others who were not invested at all and the impacts each felt are in direct relation to them but overall, money was not available because people stopped spending.

Spending is a result of necessity over wants in a down economy and since people don't have as much money due to several factors, businesses including our industry suffered as well.

It would be wise for many to plan for a lean year next year.