Sign in to follow this  
Little Buddy

What did you do first

Question

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what you did for your first method of marketing. I was planning on doing 2 mailers of 1000 each with an emphasis on wood Restoration. I was just curious if you think i should stick with the emphasis on wood or go house wash or put pictures of both on the mailers.

Thanks, Joe

13 answers to this question

To be honest, I would market the house washing first, Because you can be sure that everyone you are sending cards to, Lives in a house... Not everyone you send a card to will have a deck, unless you have done extensive research. Also for a new company, finding work is key, Once you know you are doing good, Go ahead and market specialties.

This is not gospel, But it has worked for me.

but there is more people in need of it than decks

I'll respectfully disagree with that. In MN & WI just about every home has a deck, and they get beat up pretty bad by the weather. Mold isn't as much of a problem up here as it is in warmer climates, so homes don't get as bad. We do at least 3:1 decks to housewashes, and that's a steady number for at least the last 7 years.

Joe, I thought you were going to focus on wood restoration, no? If so, advertise what you want to focus on, and pick up the other stuff when you can. Just my 2 cents...

Good advice above from Jim. Deck restoration is not pressure washing. Longer learning curve.

I agree about the regional aspect of what to target. I often say that I could run a one line ad in the phone book that says "pressure washing" and 80% of my calls would still be for decks.

I've also found that you get a better return if you separate services and run campaigns. If you want the best lead generator in today's market, build a website and work hard on the SEO to get it ranked. Use postcards to get people to your website by using effective calls to action. An example would be "Download a FREE report on How Roof Cleaning Can Cut Your Energy Bills." Maybe support that with "Find out how to your roof cleaned for FREE". I'm going to run a program next year offering a free roof cleaning to every 25th person that requests an estimate. The only rule is they have to keep up a yard sign for 30 days.

Good advice above from Jim. Deck restoration is not pressure washing. Longer learning curve.

I agree about the regional aspect of what to target. I often say that I could run a one line ad in the phone book that says "pressure washing" and 80% of my calls would still be for decks.

I've also found that you get a better return if you separate services and run campaigns. If you want the best lead generator in today's market, build a website and work hard on the SEO to get it ranked. Use postcards to get people to your website by using effective calls to action. An example would be "Download a FREE report on How Roof Cleaning Can Cut Your Energy Bills." Maybe support that with "Find out how to your roof cleaned for FREE". I'm going to run a program next year offering a free roof cleaning to every 25th person that requests an estimate. The only rule is they have to keep up a yard sign for 30 days.

This is what i was planning on doing. The mailers wouldn't be the selling point, my website will be. I want to filter them fromt he mailer to my website and into the gallery. I want them to have their expectations already fulfilled before they even pick up the phone. Once they see the gallery, they already know what kind of work to expect. Once they see the final product, they are already being sold the service without me even talking to them.

I think i am just going to have the restoration on the mailer. Once they get on the webiste, they will be able to see the other services. I agree with mike, there isn't a huge problem with mold up here, but everyone has a deck.

What kind of call to action heading would i use for deck/fence restoration. You know something along the lines of "whats eating your roof" call to action. I'd like to hear what you guys come up with for wood restoration.

I would go after residential house washing. I won't do a deck unless I am doing the house and then I try to talk the homeowner into staining the deck theirself so I don't have to make a return trip. I do roofs but explain to the homeowners that it is merely for looks, and only to wash it if they are putting it on the market, same with driveways. Washing houses is hands down, for me, the best money maker out there. Everything else is a necessary evil.

Just remember that customers buy products and services based solely on benefits to them. Think of ways owning a deck benefits a homeowner. A place for kids to be safe while mom is cooking, a gathering place for entertaining, an extension of living space, and added property value.

Jut try to think what would catch your attention. I threw together a quick one to to get your ideas flowing.

post-581-137772281335_thumb.jpg