Sign in to follow this  
Mountain View

Waiting for Cedar fence to dry

Question

I've been waiting for a relatively new (a few months old) cedar fence to dry out. I washed it almost two weeks ago and it's still hanging around 16-17 % moisture content. We've had morning dew but no other precipitation. Am I being too stringent about wanting a cedar fence to get to 12% before I stain it? Can this number be a bit higher on a fence and still get good results? The customer is okay with the wait but I'm getting a bit frustrated with checking the thing every couple of days and it's not going below the 16-17% moisture level.

P.S. Come to think of it, no other fence I've done has been this new, maybe that's why I haven't run into this slow drying process before.

Edited by Mountain View

23 answers to this question

What sealer/stain are you going to use? This time of year it probably won't go any lower on 3 mo. old cedar. I'd go for it, I've done newer fences late in the year & they've looked good for 4 years.

Edited by acegot

Am I being too stringent about wanting a cedar fence to get to 12% before I stain it? Can this number be a bit higher on a fence and still get good results? ...

Pete,

What are the temps and weather like down in your part of Texas? If the cedar is still high in moisture after 3 or 4 days of dry, decent weather, I think you are correct in it being new wood that was not kiln dried. Thats probably likely with fence wood.

What sealer/stain are you going to use?

The best question. If I recall, Pete uses a lot of Ready Seal. Paraffin oils do require dry wood. That being said, on a cedar fence, you may want to give it a light spray of RS at 16% moisture content. The oil may force some remaining wood moisture to the interior and beyond normal oil penetration. It will definitely keep the wood from getting any wetter. Go back in a few days and apply a heavy RS staining. Hope Peirce does not read this. And it is a fence.

Otherwise, Armstrong-Clark stain may be a good choice. I think their moisture content recommendation is 16% or below.

Rick is correct that I'm using Ready Seal (Natural Cedar). The days are in the mid 70's around 60% relative humidity mostly sunny, nights are in the mid to upper 50's and mostly clear. The mornings show some dew on grass and vehicles. I'm going to try a few slats on the fence around noon tomorrow, if it soaks in well then I will do the rest of the fence. This is a new housing development with houses still going up and significant potential business. The customers are very patient but they want it done as much as I do.

As always, input from all of you is very appreciated.

The only way to know is to do a test area, like I said.

I am willing to bet that it will soak in just fine and you will be able to knock it out.

Remember Shane from Texas? I would be talking to him at 8 pm and it would be pouring raining. The next morning he would call me and when I asked him where he was, he would tell me, "staining a deck". LOL. He never worried about any of the stuff we slave over.

Blast from the past. I learned a lot of stuff from him and Reed, remember him??

I still have the spreadsheet Reed sent to me when I was first starting in wood. I think Reed was from the St Louis area. I met him at Don Marler's R/T. Super nice guy.

Yeah, that Cajun Cowboy still has my logo software!!! Good to hear you're still hanging around Ken!

I haven't spoken to Shane in a couple years. His number is still in my phone.

I'm like that last rusty nail holding in that 12' long 2x6 that just won't give up its hold.

On the percentage thing go for it and use dark colors with more pigment. After a year they lighten up nice. I just did mine with dark red looks beautiful. First time I use dark brown dark red mix. Been about 6 years white cedar.

Rick,

Lots of fences to be sure. It's a shame most people let them go grey, almost black, then replace them but don't stain them. *Sigh*

Pete,

It is the same here in NJ. I can count on one hand the # of fences we have cleaned and stained in 8 yrs. Thankfully, decks are the opposite!

Pete,

Thanks for your post and I've actually learned from the others chiming in. Glad I joined this forum.

I've been in the business 4 years and just this year started doing fences and decks due to the hail storms in Austin last year and Stage 2 water restrictions eliminating a lot of the flat work I typically do. Gotta find work somehow.

Anyway, my new business partner has done hundreds of decks and fences in Austin over the years and turned me on to Flood Products' stains. It is actually designed to go on when the fence is moist and I thought he was crazy when he first told me. We will pressure wash a fence in the morning and stain it in the afternoon.

If your other options don't pan out for some reason, feel free to contact me and I'll share some pics of the jobs we've done and the application process. Peculiar, but effective. No, I don't sell the product.

Take care,

Brent