Sign in to follow this  
Doug Dahlke

Floor Sander strip

Question

Any of you wood guys ever use a sander like the ones used to strip interior hardwood to strip an acrylic deck? I have one with multiple layers of latex on it and was thinking a mechanical strip might be the best option.

15 answers to this question

Depends on many factors. Type of wood, how much cupping , nails or screws,. I find it better to use a stripper first then do the mechanical prep. But 12 by 12 is pretty small. Stripper Cream is a good choice for a stripper to remove that stuff.

post-1457-137772305561_thumb.jpg

Depends on many factors. Type of wood, how much cupping , nails or screws,. I find it better to use a stripper first then do the mechanical prep. But 12 by 12 is pretty small. Stripper Cream is a good choice for a stripper to remove that stuff.

Ditto what James said, Its a small enough deck to sand, Do you need to sand the cracks? What color is the deck now. There are ways to sand the cracks. There is a thread discussing crack sanding with pics.

post-1457-137772305575_thumb.jpg

We always just run to Home Depot and rent one of there drum sanders for $45/ day if we have a crappy deck that we can't get all the stain off, works beautifully, use the 36 grit, always debate on buying one but only use it 7-8 times per year. John Peterson, Peterson Deck Restoration

John, hello!

Have used a sheet sander a few times, but really, what a PITA. If my DS stripper and a Makita can't make it look good, forget it!! If the deck is that bad, either go with a solid and call it a day, or walk away. I've found that these type of restorations are ALWAYS underestimated on time, and ALWAYS fall short of the profit margins I expect. Leave them for your competition......

There is usually a difference in patience & thought process between a deckrestorer that does p-washing & a p-washer that does decks. Since I do mostly decks I feel some p-wash jobs are a PITA.

Edited by acegot
typo

the decks we usually hit with the drum sander are the sikkens decks or the crappy behr decks, Yes, Mike usually more hassle than anything. usually kick myself and regret not putting on cabot solid, just HATE doing solid stain decks!!!

We end up media blasting alot of painted decks and it works well - some need a light sanding thereafter but often they are ready to stain once we're done. Pressure treated pine holds up to it nicely to blasting - cedar you have to be real carefull on. We've also chemically stripped many down to sand out as well but I dont think I would ever try to sand it all off unless its a real thin layer.

Hey Lyle - crushed glass has worked better than cob. It also depends on how heavy the coating is though. If its really caked on there we're more likely to chem strip it. If it just a layer or two and peeling the glass works great. In tends to want to profile out the verticles so you usually have to sand those areas. If the rails are painted we try to convince the homeowner to go two tone though.

Edited by Greg R