Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Busy enough for subs. Growth or no.

Question

Resi's wood and flatwork. And don't forget the ever so popular "I having a garden party" this weekend but hasn't been cleaned since the '90's.

...........and the subs are letting me down. Really bad.

That sucks!!!!! In the biggest way. I CAN NOT BELIEVE THE EXCUSES I AM HEARING.

Unreal.

You think I would have learned a long time ago.

College kids for Summer work with no drive for anything but beer have proven more reliable.

I don't like employee's though. And now I don't like "subs".

They are starting to take the "fun" out of it for me.

Oh, and the wedding ring flew off my finger this afternoon on a jobsite. But "HEY the house looks just spiffy"

I've just recently married for the first time and I feel like CRAAAAAAAAAAP for losing the ring.

Another happy customer.

Please kill me.

Edited by Adrian

11 answers to this question

I feel your pain on all levels. Especially the wedding ring one. I don't think my ring has been off my hand for nearly 20 years. My wife lost hers for ten years though, until I broke down and bought her a new ring. As for subs, yes, that is the way they are.

My wife is so cool and understanding about it, but feels bad that I am in a slump over it.

She's great!!!!

So Scott,

Should I just be like one of the "elitest'" and just stay booked for the future?

You know. One job at a time mentality and cater to the upper tiers. Charge more for the garden party deadline now that they are starting to spend? Work less.

Should I try and take everything that comes my way?

Fall behind trusting "subs" ( because of my backlog) and their B.S. , splash and dash, wet and jet. Grab the $$$$$ risk quality. That's not really me though. Or my mentality.

AHHHHHHHGGGGGG. I mean, I work on my days off from working. Ugh.

I think I have pretty much convinved myself, no more helpers or subs.

Thus creating a backlog along with "damage control" from the ever so reliable subs. Who has time for this crap?

That is an interesting call. There are a couple of scenarios. You could continue doing what you have been doing. Obviously, this is not especially good for you. I am of the mentality, I will just do it myself, and pay the price physically. I am not certain that you want to go there. If you are in the position to do it, I would raise my rates and go for the high end clientele, and just refer the jobs that don't pay to someone that you trust. You could always use the trusty line of "That is not in my service area" They don't need to know that your service area involves properties that will make bank every time you step on it. Since this is really a part time gig for you, I would think that this would be the most attractive option.

BUT... DO not become so elitist that you think that everyone else is subpar. Define your niche and work it. You might even be happier hitting the small jobs than you would be doing the big jobs, because you don't like to be somewhere for more than a day.

That is an interesting call. There are a couple of scenarios. You could continue doing what you have been doing. Obviously, this is not especially good for you. I am of the mentality, I will just do it myself, and pay the price physically. I am not certain that you want to go there. If you are in the position to do it, I would raise my rates and go for the high end clientele, and just refer the jobs that don't pay to someone that you trust. You could always use the trusty line of "That is not in my service area" They don't need to know that your service area involves properties that will make bank every time you step on it. Since this is really a part time gig for you, I would think that this would be the most attractive option.

BUT... DO not become so elitist that you think that everyone else is subpar. Define your niche and work it. You might even be happier hitting the small jobs than you would be doing the big jobs, because you don't like to be somewhere for more than a day.

That's great advice as always.

Nice call, 2 - 3 days max if it is wood resto.

Couple of points. I have pretty much traded original career paths for my current path of wood and resi's and UPSELLS.

For me, The wood is always where it's been for me after a few uncomfortable yrs. Good money in wood. It's definately an accuired skill that not every one can pull off. I see alot of crap work out there that I fix and make right.

The music path,.... well, sometimes you gotta just face the music. It's still a very distant but fading path. No more playing in clubs for this kid though.

I actually do work after 1 in the afternoon alot more than I let on. The ship is rowing fulltime now, hence the issues with subs and helpers.

When processes aren't followed (by subs and helpers) the ship starts taking on water. If they would follow simple instructions there would be alot less headaches and tarnished relationships.

.......man I miss my wedding ring. It felt...........right.

Adrian,

I kind of faced this dilemma years ago. Although I never went the route of subbing out wood.

If revenue growth is needed, there is not much choice but to increase marketing, overhead, and take on employees. There is only so much you can do yourself, and your time is better spent on sales, marketing, and management.

If your local demographics warrant, you can fill a niche in wood restoration and remain a small operation. This requires targeting high end clients, providing superior quality and customer service. Margins are much higher which is necessary as volume is lower. The hard part is that it takes time to get established with this model.

I have had very good success over the years with hiring college students, they've been reliable, learn quickly, and work hard. You have got to have help, I cannot fathom trying to run a wood restoration business as a one man operation.

Like you, I've lost my wedding band. Actually twice. Been married so long that we don't replace it any longer!

You just need to find the right people to work for you. I've been through some real "winners" myself but finally we have a group of employees that are just outstanding most of the time. Sure there are always ups and downs but there are good people out there that actually want to work and be part of a growing company.

I go with what Scott and Greg say.

I am for hiring employees, I like to keep as much of the money in house and I can do that better with employees. Employees are a PITA that I will always have to deal with. Like Greg, its taken a while but I have a good core group of 4 guys and they crank it out and make me money. Then I have the other 2-4 guys I need and theres the hassle, the training and the bums that are out there. Hire a guy spend a couple weeks traing and then they start not showing up or are good for a week and show promise and then you realize they don't give a crud about quality and cant figure out their a*s from their elbow

I also believe in what Scott says, pick your jobs and niche

I dont do wood and I don't wash homes. I am lucky on that, because I do have a contractor I send all that work to and he is great and reliable

Maybe some day you should just go at this biz full time and build that profitable biz and take on more and more

I'm at the point I need another rig, but I may only need it for a few months, do I spend 10K on a rig and 20K on a truck for 3 months of busy work? and if I do, how do I keep it manned when I only need the guys for three months, it will be an endless cycle of hiring and training every several months

Adrian, pick your niche and keep looking for the right employee or go on American Idol

Good luck brother, its a pain running a biz, but sure better than working for someone else

Edited by Jeff

I used to lose my wedding ring all the time, you know, taking it off before taking off the ladders and such. The last time I found it I didn't even know I lost it. I was roto-tilling the garden and saw something gold colored in the dirt. Now I just don't wear it at alll unless we're going out for some kind of social event.

Definitely get employees and if you have to fire many to get to that good one then that what I would do and its what I have done. I almost always had a helper when I first started out 15 years ago. Then even at most jobs I would do them by myself. Including staining 3,000 sq' homes by brush. That would take me weeks but I didnt care because it was steady work. I would make then $300 a day doing that and I thought I was king. As time goes by you just get burnt out from it all. Yea you think your the best but you have to get past that Mentality and for most they just can't seem to do that. Its one of the hardest things to do in business where you need to go from the "One man Band" to delegating. You will eventually not be happy with the Money you make forever doing jobs by yourself and you will start to burn out and become lonely as heck doing jobs by yourself day in and day out.

Today we have 4 employees. Not big by any means but we are profitable and many day I never leave the house and my business machine continues to make money because my guys go out and do the labor. I go to estimates and sell the jobs. My wife does all of the calls and record keeping amongst many things like doing multiple Mailings that are in the thousands. My two full time guys come by get there work orders for the day do the jobs and most times give the customer a reciept that the job is completed and they also collect the payment. Obviously they get all the tips and some days they do real well there. These guys are GOLDEN. but like I said I had to go thru many guys to get them.

SO I would say look for employees. Just today(Sunday) my guys went out because we are so backed up that they cleaned a building and a sidewalk. My take was over $1000 after expenses and I hung with my family all day. That is where I'm at today but it did take me longer then expected to get here. You can start sooner by starting now.

Good luck.....and yes as Jeff L. says LIFE IS GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a good group of guys that have been working with me for a long time but I do use some painters (subs) that I know for staining a lot of our decks. We do a lot of jobs and I can not handle all the staining. I have been thinking of buying another truck but I decided to wait till next year and spend big money on a truck that will kick butt. We are looking at a great April and hope it will last all year.