Sign in to follow this  
Rick2

Quick sprayer question, please reply.

Question

I got mt new Magnum 500 sprayer in today with the Pumptec. These guys really know how to wrap a package. Aside from a small leak (easy fix) it seems to be fine. Here's my questions: 1) Whan the machine is running I'll adjust to pressure to, say, 100 psi. When I pull the trigger it'll drop to 50 psi. Am I shooting at 100 or 50 psi? 2) What pressure do you guys usually shoot at when staining a deck? And finally 3) Which battery can I use, a lawn tractor sized battery or something bigger, similar to a car. I don't plan on doing more than one job in a day (and mostly just Precarb and acid rinse) so I guessing I'm asking how many hour(s) run time can I plan on getting out of a smaller battery?

Thanks in advance. I've never been let down here before. Rick.

PS Wish my trailer wasn't at a job site tonight. I'd love to grab some chemicals and start playing with it. One section of my stockade fence is the poor ginnie pig for new chemicals and toys.

15 answers to this question

Congrats.

I can't answer # 1 as accurately as you would like, but you should be spraying just under what you have dialed in. So dropping to 50psi while dialed in a 100 psi seems maybe a bit off but still in the norm.

#2 I ususally set the psi at 50-75 on the regulator and can still adjust at the wand as well.

#3 Most would suggest a deep cell marine battery. I use the lawn mower batteries from NAPA, but I am cheap like that.

Congrats again.

Edited by Adrian
potter still scares me.

I can't answer #1 either, but for the battery the shop here in town recommended one of the deep cycle gel batteries that go in the motorized wheel chairs. Just started using mine the other day to run the deckster for about 4 hours with no problems. They said is should last a few days on one charge with intermintent use.

You are shooting at the lowest reading.

To change it, use a smaller orifice tip or change the regulator setting.

We use Deep cycle marine batteries for our sprayers. They give a full days work and can be charged over-night with a trickle charger.

Rod!~

Definitely go with a deep cell...i've gone through 5 or 6 of the 30 dollar tractor batteries and they dont hold a charge after constant recharging. They leak too if you're not careful. The deep cells I have from Sunbrite get tossed around, charged hundreds of times and they've held up great

I'm getting around 6 hours of use on the lawn mower batteries.

But again, I am cheap like that.

However, I haven't had to replace the battery in 3 yrs.

Knock on wood.

Thanks for all the replies, now I know what I'm doing a little better. I run the deep cycle from by boat (has a Chevy motor) to run my Fat Boy pump for roofs almost every day. It holds up well until the end of the day when I notice the pressure dropping. I thought with such a little Pumptec pump I could get away with a smaller battery but it looks like I'll be picking up another deep cell. Thanks for the replies and help.

... 2) What pressure do you guys usually shoot at when staining a deck? And finally 3) Which battery can I use, a lawn tractor sized battery or something bigger, similar to a car. I don't plan on doing more than one job in a day (and mostly just Precarb and acid rinse) so I guessing I'm asking how many hour(s) run time can I plan on getting out of a smaller battery? ...

Rick,

Congrats on the purchase. You'll find the sprayer paying for itself in no time. We spray Ready Seal at ~ 50 PSI for deck floors, and dial it down to ~ 25-30 PSI for vertical wood. I don't know if the unit comes with an adjustable flow wand. If not you may want to purchase one from ACR or possibly SunBrite.

We also use deep cycle marine batteries for the PumpTec. As it is a continuous cycle design, it needs a bit of power for heavy use. Garden tractor type batteries are used for Shurflo's.

I got to use my new sprayer and it is beautiful! What a great investment! I really am impressed how quickly I can lay down a chemical with this sprayer. Normally I would avoid bidding on a deck because they took too long... not anymore. Looks like it will be hard at work this weekend because 30 minutes ago I won the bid for part of the flatwork at the Basketball Hall of Fame. Also picked up 3 decks to clean and one to clean and stain. Looks like I'll be using Ready Seal, I haven't read anything bad about it. In a few days I'll be posting a few questions about methods of staining (If I cant't find it in "Search.")

Got to get back to cleaning the house. The wife's comming back from Bulgaria tomorrow and the house is a wreck. I don't give her enough credit for keeping this place clean.

i'm kinda mad at sunbrite right now for throwing a curve ball and using this R & L carriers company thing...They left almost a grand worth of stain at the end of drive and didn't even notify us, the driveway is probably 300ft long. They didn't even leave a note on the door or anything for a signiture like fedex or ups do when they tried delivering in the middle of the day (probably going to leave it at the end of the driveway again)... also deliveried 4 days late.

But anywho, I'm also a fan of the Seal of Ready and my deckster as well. Is there a way to let sunbrite know that i do not want signiture conformation when you order or do they not even look at the messages?

I had R and L deliver mine also. They called me twice to confirm what time they would be here within a 2 hour window (very good). I to;d them I would not be home and they gave me very explict instructions on how to leave a note for the driver so he could leave the machine on my property without me being here. They were very good about the whole thing. Excuse any spelling errors. This little laptop is driving me nuts.

I put a PS on the note telling the driver to help himself to anything on the little bar-fridge on the deck. He took me up on that.

I had to write a note to him letting him know it was alright to leave it there. On that note I had to write the order number, print my name and sign it. I wrote it on a company envelope and made sure there was evidence that this was the the correct for Pro=Power. (You know, a few yard signs and other items with the company name on it). I had the truck and trailer with me so I had to leave something behind. He had already gotten the message that I would not be there. Those sprayers are great. eh?