Sign in to follow this  
Rick2

Big storm on the way

Question

Any of you been hit with this snow storm yet? Last I heard we're in store for 12 to 17 inches here in Massachusetts. I've got the plow ready and the truck filled with gas (ouch!). I guess it's going to hit us just after midnight. Making a few bucks tomorrow.

30 answers to this question

Be safe out there Rick. We didn't get much here, 2-4 was called for and I think we have about 3. Our county has a 2 hour school delay. I know other areas were much harder hit. After last year here, we feel pretty good about only getting what we did, although I have to say one large snowfall is always kinda nice. Last year we had three major storms back to back wallop the DC area, and each time we were in the heaviest accumulation - the eye of the storm.

Pack a nice hot thermos of coffee or coco to take in the truck while you plow. Be warm, be safe.

Beth :cup:

Real cold here for the Atlanta area. Below 20 tonight and a high tomorrow of maybe 32. Should see warming by the weekend. My yard is like a skating rink. Can't handle these temps in this area of the world.

Any of you been hit with this snow storm yet? Last I heard we're in store for 12 to 17 inches here in Massachusetts. I've got the plow ready and the truck filled with gas (ouch!). I guess it's going to hit us just after midnight. Making a few bucks tomorrow.

I've always wanted to drive a snow plow.

No snow or ice here yet, but in North Texas they are getting hit with it.

So far Jan has been the worst month. Just a few freezing temps here off and on.

Driving a plow is fun, I've been doing it for over 28 years and I am still not tired of it.

I bet it is fun. I have always wanted to operate one just so I could have the experience of it.

Somewhere online I saw a plow attached to a Honda civic. And it worked.

That's got to be some crazy fun work.

The ice storm had us finding it hard to get to the office for three days. Being a yankee, I grew up driving in snow, but sheer ice is a whole-nother ball game! No one can really drive on ice! Best to let it run it's course here. We'll be in 40's Friday. It'll all be gone this weekend. Was fun, but I'm over it already.....

Thanks Beth. Everything went fine plowing, we got about 2 feet of snow. Started plowing at 5am and didn't get back home until almost midnight. Worst part was I couldn't get to sleep for several hours and having Patrick getting up extra early saying "Daddy wake up. Let's play Lego."

post-2213-137772366519_thumb.jpg

post-2213-137772366607_thumb.jpg

post-2213-137772366627_thumb.jpg

post-2213-137772366647_thumb.jpg

I bet it is fun. I have always wanted to operate one just so I could have the experience of it.

Somewhere online I saw a plow attached to a Honda civic. And it worked.

That's got to be some crazy fun work.

Maybe years ago when i was a kid it was fun but it's not so fun now. It's kind of boring to sit in the truck for 18 (not a typo) hours in a truck plowing snow. Listening to audio books on the cd player makes time goy by easier and watching the idiot drivers get stuck and crash into each other is sort of fun too. I've got to say though that this truck (F250 Super Duty) is much more easier to sit in for hours on end. It's the first Ford truck I've owned and it more comfortable than the Silverados.

I agree with you there, I always found the fords to be better plow trucks. I had a Yukon tat wasn't bad but by far the best was the F350/250 that I have. My personal one is an avalanche, TERRIBLE plow truck too many blind spots and the seat is sits too low for me, I like to be up to see better.

ps. thats a lot of snow!

For those of you getting snow down south that normally don't there is some work to be found. Concrete companies have forms made and concrete ready to be pumped, but they are full of snow. If it does not melt fast enough you can melt the snow with the steam or how water.

I know this because I have spent a night or two doing this from a late snow fall. Its not the best work as you are having to watch you step and it can get boring.

Just another way to make some winter $$.

I held the Flip video camera for a few minutes while plowing and put the video on Face Book for the in-laws to see what this winter in America is like. I'll try the link here to see if it works. I should have turned down the radio in the truck.

<object width="400" height="224" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/1779150966644" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/1779150966644" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="224"></embed></object>

Edited by Rick2

OK, were supposed to get a dusting this morn and it hasn't stopped snowing over 3 inches so far. A 90 minute school delay and bus can't make here and a foot tomorrow night. Most snow ever for Jan..

I just got it from plowing snow, from 5am to 6:30 pm. I don't remember having a winter like this, ever. I'm ready to get back to powerwashing.