Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Good bye, 2011

Question

This has been a challenging, but fruitful season. The weather was very wet, we lost more than the usual number of days due to rain and humid conditions.

But overall, it was a good season. Did some very high end work for wonderful new customers, and the numbers should come out close to last season, our best ever. The biggest plus of this year was finally delving into the wood siding house restoration market. Finished up a long waiting mahogany stain today, and stripped but cannot logically stain a nice cedar job until next spring. The wood will not dry out.

So good by to the wood restoration season for 2011. The book for 2012 is the best ever, so its time to rest, recuperate, and have some fun! If that is possible in winter ...

44 answers to this question

I could of swore Jake told me you got a BMW but again my hearing is at it's all time worst. What I see here is the "cream of the cream"....NICE RIDE. The 'irons have been dormant for quiet some time but Pebble Beach would be the ticket or the Presido in S.F. Never the less, find an excuse to come out. If not, I will be in NY at Matt and Jack's function in March.

Carlos,

We bought a new BMW 128i convertible in September. It is my wife's bucket list car. You can see it in the background of the first picture above. The beemer kind of pushed me to buy my long wanted Lotus. Judy wouldn't let me smoke in the car with the top down!

We've gotten a bit car crazy recently, between the two of us we currently own 5 vehicles. Any one interested in a clean 5 speed 2006 Tiburon with 40K miles? Just put it up on Autotrader. Our insurance bill is out of hand. Its kind of fun getting old, you tend to get a bit irresponsible!

I'll definitely be in Albany this spring, as well as ACR's get together early in March. If I don't get out to Ca. this off season, see you then.

awesome Rick. You Badass,

Let's put some wings on it and see what happens.

Well, get the plates first.

Man, .... awesome find.

Like I said.

You're the man. right on !!!!!

Sure do understand about accelerating into the corners.

Our Audi is the same way, except with that thing you would only see us in your rear view mirror.lol.

Awesome man, just awesome.

See you can teach old dogs new tricks.

... Let's put some wings on it and see what happens. ...

Adrian,

Sector 111 makes a Katana 2 supercharger for the car that boosts it up to ~ 253 bhp and around 161 ft./lbs. torque. That is scary!

Rob,

So good to see you again at ACR yesterday. I learned more about pressure washing between you and Tom than 10 yrs. on this board. Think we'll stick with wood!

I'm stealing Barbara, my little wood minx. She shifted some gears yesterday and remembered what European's knew decades ago. Light weight, fine suspensions, good design, and decent power makes a sports car. The drive from ACR to Columbia, NJ is a trip, that why I was up there to begin with.

This is a fairly safe car. It all depends on your driving!

Rick,

Seeing that car in pictures doesnt do it justice. The look you had while in it at Toms yesterday was like a kid with his candy. Glad to see you sporting something so classy. Hope you enjoy it and be safe.

Did he stick pails of ready seal in the car to take home? Because I can see that....I really can....

Beth

Did he stick pails of ready seal in the car to take home? Because I can see that....I really can....

Beth

Beth,

With a bit of ingenuity, I think I can get 2 RS 5'ers in the car. One seat belted in the passenger seat, and another one in the passenger footwell. The "boot" or trunk for a few rags, 2 stain pails and brushes, and we're in business!

Beth,

I was telling him he needed a roof rack for that thing...LOL. Then he could have taken a whole pallet of stain home...LOL

Rob,

It is not a "roof", but a "hood". What we Americans call a "hood", the British call it a "bonnet". We have a "trunk", the Brits have a "boot". Gotta' love the Limey's!

Nice ride.

Brian,

Thanks, it was earned over many years. It sucks for golf outings. Put a carry bag of clubs in the passenger side and there is no room for a cooler of greenies. The "boot" or trunk has a bit of room, but being a mid-engine car, it heats up pretty fast. Hmmm ... maybe dry ice is the ticket.

Its the best driving I'll ever do. Can draw or fade at will!

Life is funny. You work hard as a young kid, mowing lawns, landscaping, doing whatever to make a buck. Get your driver's license at 16, and buy a Triumph used 650 motorcycle. Learn that you need to become a home mechanic and do it. Sell it at 19 yrs. of age as you become wise enough to realize that you are on a crash course to possible serious injury or death.

Go to college and work like crazy to help afford it. Graduate, and start in the real world of business. Work harder and longer, just to make a mark and keep up. Soon realize that there is more to life than merely money.

Buy a beat up used '74 MGB-GT. Learn more about auto mechanics as you cannot afford to have a professional keep the car on the road. It is totalled parked on the street while sleeping in bed. In hindsight, a blessing. That car drove me crazy.

Forward 30 some odd years. In that time, sold, or more descriptive, partially liquidated one company. Started another one which morphed into a small software company. Did quite well for many years, but the downturn around 2000 and honestly the personal drive to keep going was the end of that period. At the far side of 30, was married for the first and only time with the love of my life. We were both ready to have dogs and no children and finally settle down. Well, kind of ...

Fell into the wood restoration business. It has been an interesting, as well as a growing business for the past now 11 years. Mentored a lot of young college kids, as well as a few older immigrants and hard knock young people. Have met a lot of very fine, interesting customers, which keeps me in the business and looking forward to next year.

The Lotus Elise is earned. I've waited nearly 40 years to be able to be able to buy this car in responsible and good conscience. Only problem is, it is a bit difficult to get in and out of the thing! Hah!, bettcha' Medicare rehabilitation does not cover that.

Do what you can do while you still can do it. Everything else is just fluff ...

Brian,Thanks, it was earned over many years. It sucks for golf outings. Put a carry bag of clubs in the passenger side and there is no room for a cooler of greenies. The "boot" or trunk has a bit of room, but being a mid-engine car, it heats up pretty fast. Hmmm ... maybe dry ice is the ticket.Its the best driving I'll ever do. Can draw or fade at will!
You earned it enjoy it. Ya baby.