Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

Twp

Question

Are the TWP products penetrating or film forming? Also, is it advisable to put multiple coats on of this stuff to achieve a slight sheen (I already think I know the answer) The reason I ask is this: A customer has asked me to put finish on her deck that was recently completed. Her contractor completely brainwashed her into using TWP and told her it is possible to achieve "furniture finish" building up multiple coats.

17 answers to this question

Scott

R u using the 300 series.

TWP 300 is more resistant to cracking, peeling or blistering than most surface oriented stains on the market. Warning the natural color, while surface mildew speckles eliminate premature unsightly and black discoloration. Accelerated and natural weathering tests show superior performance compared to conventional clear and semi-transparent wood finishes. Many stains on the market are surface oriented and subject to peeling, blistering and chipping.

Scott

R u using the 300 series.

TWP 300 is more resistant to cracking, peeling or blistering than most surface oriented stains on the market. Warning the natural color, while surface mildew speckles eliminate premature unsightly and black discoloration. Accelerated and natural weathering tests show superior performance compared to conventional clear and semi-transparent wood finishes. Many stains on the market are surface oriented and subject to peeling, blistering and chipping.

I used to mix 1gallon of 300 series to 4 gallon of 500 series to give it more (body) with higher resin content. worked well. 300 series is crazy expensive these days.

Lyle you will be happy when the new TWP 1500 series comes out this summer. It will be compliant for all states. From what I understand, test results show it outperforming the 100 series. It will not have any drying issues like the 500 series if over applied.

We must talk to the manufacturers about adding squirrel repellent. Also, wood bee repellent. Squirrels will stay off a couple coats of AC about a year. Wood bees are back in 3 months, tops!!

Rymar has additives in there "Extreme Weather" formula for the above. Tried their best product some years ago when it was only $250. a 5 gal pail. Good product, just not cost effective. Rymar Wood Sealer with Nano Particle Technology

Edited by acegot
added text

We run into carpenter bee and especially squirrel damage often, particularly on cedar jobs. Sometime ago, it was suggested to add a bit of Capsaicin oil to stain as a deterrent. Might work, it is the hottest pepper compound available.

They make a product called Chewstop thats made to be added to finishes as well. Never tried it though. I think it too is a some sort of a pepper additive.