Sign in to follow this  
Scott Paul

2012 Fall Deck Restoration Contest! Win Free Stain and Cleaners!

Pick a Winner for Fall 2012 Deck Contest  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Pick a Winner for Fall 2012 Deck Contest

• Steven
    • Rick Petry
    • Adrian (Ipe Picture)
    • Seymour
    • BigChaz
    • Beth n Rod

Question

Enter the Fall 2012 deck restoration contest to win free stain and cleaning products! This contest is open to all contractors.

Deadline to enter is September 30th 2012

1st Place

2 Free Pails of Armstrong Clark Stain

10 Pound Container of Restore-A-Deck Stain Stripper

10 Pound Container of Restore-A-Deck Stain Brightener

2nd Place

1 Free Pail of Armstrong Clark Stain

2 Pound Container of Restore-A-Deck Stain Stripper

2 Pound Container of Restore-A-Deck Stain Brightener

To Enter:

-post 3-4 pictures and a small description in this thread

-you can only enter once

-open to all stain brands

-pictures must be posted by 9.30.12

Voting:

Please vote for winner! Make sure to scroll through pages to see the great pictures by all!

Poll closes on October 9th!

Edited by Scott Paul

58 answers to this question

post-8375-137772437776_thumb.jpg

Ok heres one i did this year. New homeowner didnt have any idea what was on there for stain. I had to replace a couple of boards. all came out well and the h/o was estatic with the results. the wood was a soft fir and all beat up. i took out a ton of scratches and gouges.

Beth, been to your website and I have seen your work, BEAUTIFUL stuff. please dont enter! no only kidding, there sure will be some competition on this one.

I wouldnt mind getting an honorable mention.

post-8375-137772437714_thumb.jpg

post-8375-137772437754_thumb.jpg

Thank you Scott and Way to go Steven,

This is a fun thread that shows fellow wood restoration professionals the work that we are doing across the United States. Small and medium size businesses that have built and are building their own successful stories. This thread will perhaps encourage homeowners to hire professionals to have us make their wood sing. Homeowners are doing more and more research, and are landing on The Grime Scene, so make sure you have a link to your company's website with your entries. May you all have greater success than Rick Petry's chicken coup from last year's contest!?!

Good luck to all and let the photos fly,

Jake

Armstrong Clark Co.

Oil Based coatings for Wood, Sealant & Stain: Restore and Protect - Armstrong-Clark Co.

... May you all have greater success than Rick Petry's chicken coup from last year's contest!?! ...

Careful, Jake. I may dig out the photos of my professionally restored historic outhouse. BTW, egg production rose by 26% after that coop was finished!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19206[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19207[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19208[/ATTACH]

Ok heres one i did this year. New homeowner didnt have any idea what was on there for stain. I had to replace a couple of boards. all came out well and the h/o was estatic with the results. the wood was a soft fir and all beat up. i took out a ton of scratches and gouges.

Beth, been to your website and I have seen your work, BEAUTIFUL stuff. please dont enter! no only kidding, there sure will be some competition on this one.

I wouldn't mind getting an honorable mention.

What stain did you use? Looks very nice!

Thanks everyone,

I used the readyseal that much i remember, what color i cant remember. I have been mostley using A/C and ready seal. did one a couple weeks ago with a/c 3 part oxford brown and 1 part redwood. color was nice, went beautiful against the white colums and trim work. I love those stains, so easy to work with.

Steven,

Those are some nice pics. Don't sell yourself short.

Beth

Thank you Beth I appreciate the nice words. coming from you that is a huge compliment.

I would never have dreamed in a million years that I would be doing this type of work, I find it very satisfying when i can turn these decks around. I really enjoy seeing the homeowners face when they see it done.

I started talking to a gentleman this spring about staining his home. I brought him samples of ready seal and armstrong clark. he never even looked at them. he went through samples of sikkens,cabbots, super deck and then this product called seal-once. he called me last night and said he hates them all and wants to look at the A/C. I am happy about that. I will bring him a sample of all the semi trans i have but want him to really look at the amber. I washed the house 2 weeks ago so he needs to pull the trigger pretty quick on this.

Let me end this with a big thank you to all the proffesional people that take the time to help others. without your knowledge and expertise many people would be lost.

Jake and Scott are offering up some great prizes. Woodies, show your stuff and support terrific vendors!

Here is one of my favorite properties. The structure is a "spa" house, with gym, sauna, interior hot tub, custom showers, etc. owned by a commercial property developer. We have been servicing the ipe', as well as cedar on another structure for the past 5 years.

What is stunning are the fine woods and design. Porches are ipe', the siding is ~ 100 yr. old cedar off of a barn in Central Pa., and the front door is very old Mesquite imported from Mexico.

Stain on the ipe' is Ready Seal, redwood color.

post-170-13777243911_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772439125_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772439149_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772439157_thumb.jpeg

Rick,

That rocks. When are you doing the building?

Beth

Hey Beth,

To be honest, the barn cedar and certainly the mesquite looks great as is, naturally weathered. Both woods are old growth quality, and have been in service for at least 100 yrs. without intervention and with very little degradation.

A clear oil might be OK, but I do not think it is really needed. And, the customer likes it just the way it is ...

Ok well here is my entry to my first before and after contest...

This deck had Flood Acrylic on it that was stripped brightened and stained with Baker's Gray Away Gold Blend.

post-658-137772440568_thumb.jpg

post-658-137772440544_thumb.jpg

post-658-137772440551_thumb.jpg

post-658-137772440555_thumb.jpg

post-658-137772440561_thumb.jpg

Note to self-- Do not enter this contest cause these guys are stars:)--Nice pics!!!

what kills me John, It only takes these wood gurus like 10 hours to do these crazy jobs.

Ok ok, here's a deck that was about 1 year old was stained with a sherwin william deckscapes oil based toner. Some painter put two coats on, never cleaned the deck and it had these crazy dark and black spots that I could only assume was mildew throughout the finish. Stripped the old stain off which was a very light cedar/natural color and then hammered the strange spots with strong bleach, and strong acid. Brought it back about 95%, and a good floor sanding helped.

Here are two of the before pictures of the weird dark spots and my guys washing the back deck.

post-2382-137772440575_thumb.jpg

post-2382-137772440581_thumb.jpg

post-2382-137772440584_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigchaz

And here is after we stained with a 50/50 blend of Armstrong Amber and TWP 200 Gold. Customer wanted to replicate the original color from the sherwin williams stain. Front porch, and back deck wraps around two sides of the rear deck with main central section with staircase. You can see the floor where the strange dark spots were has been evened out. Customer was thrilled and I received this email earlier (always the best part about this business!):

"Good morning Charlie,

We were so pleased with the way the deck finished up and all the final little things you did while we were gone. Thank you so much for a wonderful job. As I type, we are sitting on the deck enjoying the wonderful weather. We have not spent time on the deck in years."

post-2382-13777244059_thumb.jpg

post-2382-137772440595_thumb.jpg

post-2382-137772440601_thumb.jpg

post-2382-137772440605_thumb.jpg

post-2382-137772440611_thumb.jpg