Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Does everybody start out as a "lowballer"?

Question

98 answers to this question

I wonder how people feel as to whether or not a lowballer, no matter what the definition is, effects their bottom line and also feel that their business has suffered because of a lowballers bid.

Just curious

I wonder how people feel as to whether or not a lowballer, no matter what the definition is, effects their bottom line and also feel that their business has suffered because of a lowballers bid.

Just curious

Doesn't affect me one bit. Could I charge more if everyone else was charging more? Sure, but that's the case in ANY business.

oneness,

doesn't affect us either. I unknowingly may have lost a few residential contracts due to a person that went under my bid.

Sure, I may lose jobs from time to time because either the property owner feels the price is too high and chooses to call someone else. Sometimes I can still get the job by explaining why my prices are where they are, but some people just aren't going to listen and are going to look strictly at price. Either way, I stay busy enough with the customers who want qaulity over price. The lowballers and the cheap customers deserve eachother...who am I to interfere?

I also agree with mike and celest, if the customer feels like they got a great deal and are very happy (a $1200 job for $900) they believe it was a great value, and their word of mouth to friends, neighbors, relatives etc will more than make up the $300 that could have been over charged.... if they tell 10 people, those tell 10 people, etc etc etc.... on and on it goes, and the company grows and grows and grows without having to feel bad about overcharging a lousy $300.. (and you can sleep at night celest)

I dont know how car salesmen sleep....the whole industry is based on screwing people..... I sold new cars for a short while years and years ago... screwing the public over was tough to do..... a simple rule to follow when you buy a vehicle, this is true about 80% of the time.....if you walk out of the dealership feeling that you got a great deal---you got screwed and paid a bit more than you needed to, if you walk out feeling like you may have gotten screwed, you didnt, you did just fine

I dont know how car salesmen sleep....the whole industry is based on screwing people..... I sold new cars for a short while years and years ago... screwing the public over was tough to do..... a simple rule to follow when you buy a vehicle, this is true about 80% of the time.....if you walk out of the dealership feeling that you got a great deal---you got screwed and paid a bit more than you needed to, if you walk out feeling like you may have gotten screwed, you didnt, you did just fine

Last truck we bought, I walked out of the dealership 3 times because they would not give me the deal I wanted. Finally it was thier choice, sell the truck for what I want to pay for it or dont sell a truck today. A short time later they called me back and gave me my deal.

I also agree with mike and celest, if the customer feels like they got a great deal and are very happy (a $1200 job for $900) they believe it was a great value, and their word of mouth to friends, neighbors, relatives etc will more than make up the $300 that could have been over charged.... if they tell 10 people, those tell 10 people, etc etc etc.... on and on it goes, and the company grows and grows and grows without having to feel bad about overcharging a lousy $300.. (and you can sleep at night celest)

still in business, Mike?

Hey Carlos, yes I had read one of the articles you sent me. The other one you sent was new but I'm glad you sent it. I think we have a lot in common and I look forward to talking to you about it one day. Maybe at the convention if you make it.

Hey Celeste, Why's everyone cracking on me about the polls?? At least they seem to be pretty popular. Maybe I should change my title to the poll king?

Poll King,,LOL Thats too funny. where are you working the pole?

oneness,

doesn't affect us either. I unknowingly may have lost a few residential contracts due to a person that went under my bid.

Does it affect us? If your in a bad market i guess it might. I dont see this in Phx. PM or commercial or even new contruction.

Our day labor here want 13 and hour. tech job, service industry workers move here from other places throught the country. Phoenix is growing and will continue to grow.

I here all the time of someone loosing a job, once in a while will loose one to a low bidder. Its democracy!!!! we live in free trade days, labor is becoming cheaper, products are being produced outside and sold back.

I don't expect many lowballers this year - I think the economy is so bad, not even lowballers will even be able to 'play'. If there are lowballers - they will be in the lowest income bracket neighborhoods, you'll never come across them.

See, I think the opposite will happen. I think that those out of work who are unable to find jobs, will look to other avenues such as this....and those who need to supplement their income will add this as part time work.

On the news the other night there was a report...the anchor said "its a great time to start a business because you will have lower costs than your established competition...." Gee thanks for THAT.....

Beth

Beth, in a not so great year - I agree with your assesment. But this year is going to be so bad - how are these guys going to afford a pressure washer, inevitably ladders, and all the other tools? In the past they have relied on family, wives, girlfriends to front them the money - that ain't happening this year. And certainly they won't be able to touch upper middle class and up type folks whatsoever. One plus one still equals two, and unless they find a money tree - they won't have a pot to pi$$ in this year.

Don't worry Dan,,,Obama's gonna save us all!!!! LOL I'm only asking for 1 billion myself to upgrade my buisness so I don't have to work out of the back of my truck anymore...Might even get a hot water unit and an add in the phone book....LOL...Pass the good deed back to the people and drop from 99.99 to 89.99...See I get the money because I have a dream!!! I'm a gonna help the economy by buying a new house, a new truck or two,,getting someone else to do the work for me and having to get new signs with the 89.99 on it and keep hundreds of millions in my account so my buisness will stay solvent. And Im gonna promise not to have to come back and ask for more...and if I do just say "NO"...LOL..I have a dream!!!

Beth, in a not so great year - I agree with your assesment. But this year is going to be so bad - how are these guys going to afford a pressure washer, inevitably ladders, and all the other tools? In the past they have relied on family, wives, girlfriends to front them the money - that ain't happening this year. And certainly they won't be able to touch upper middle class and up type folks whatsoever. One plus one still equals two, and unless they find a money tree - they won't have a pot to pi$$ in this year.

When you can't find work where you draw a check, you make ends meet however you can. Some of these people may have a pressure washer in their garage already from doing their OWN decks etc....LOTS of people have them, lots of our customers have them, use them once then let them sit there.

Beth

See, I think the opposite will happen. I think that those out of work who are unable to find jobs, will look to other avenues such as this....and those who need to supplement their income will add this as part time work.

On the news the other night there was a report...the anchor said "its a great time to start a business because you will have lower costs than your established competition...." Gee thanks for THAT.....

Beth

Exactly on the money Beth. I am one of those laid off and I was researching on what to do and I was going to do kitchen hoods because they have to be cleaned by law. I could not afford that so I had to keep searching.

I discovered roof cleaning and was off and running. Easy to set up and very inexpensive just had to learn how to do it and get it sold. I now have many other offerings for cleaning services and I don't even own a pressure washer that would work. I rent one when I need it until I can afford to buy the one I want.

Lowball pricing is out of the question. I was suprised one week when I made 500 more gross than my previous job and I only worked 2.5 days.

I have always wanted my own business and when I decided on this line of work I told my wife I was going to find something dirty and have them pay me to clean it.

I started out as a lowballer in 1991 .. I worked for a guy who was trying to put his brother out of business.. He told me go out and do fire equipment , sales service and recharge , also clean vent hoods.. He bought me a truck, A Landa Machine and Fire Recharge Equipment and gave me an office... I cut everybody's price... It lasted a few years and the a company called Equinox bought us out .. and I trained them how to clean vent hoods... The Question is am I a Low Baller.... Sure why not .. I got 20 years experience , I do a great Job ,,,, and If I can beat a price and make money then there you go ... LOL ( Early Morning Snow Hangover )

We were fortunate in our line of work in that we had a decent amount of cash available and plenty of credit when needed to start off on the high end and back down to find the threshold. Now that money is tighter we know where we have to be to keep a decent profit and we just try to stay a little above that.