Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Members in Sandy's path PLEASE check in!

Question

If you are in a state effected by Sandy, please post to let us know you are okay, or if you have spoken to someone or have gotten word from someone in a disaster area, please let us know they are okay.

Thanks...

Beth

18 answers to this question

No disaster here. We were with out power for fourteen hours but we had this[ATTACH]19392[/ATTACH]

Helping create this [ATTACH]19393[/ATTACH]

iPhone - Tapatalk

post-4439-137772441528_thumb.jpg

post-4439-13777244154_thumb.jpg

We are fine here in York, PA. We're flooded in, but we still have power, no problems and are fully prepared with essentials. Flood waters should subside by tomorrow morning. I guess we got lucky with the power compared to others I know in PA.

I spoke with Rick Petry in NJ today and his two cases of Hinnie survived the storm. Minus one tree but said all is well. Carlos, myself and many others are truly hoping you all land nicely on your feet!!!!

Jake

I got a text from John T., they are okay, he says it looks like a war zone up there. Blocks around him devastated, his was spared. Lots of trees damage and wires down and not alot of electricity.

Beth

Randy did you stay in O.C. ??? I here it is bad. What did you do with your boat?

We had shingles that blew off our roof. It may be a good thing, house is 15 years old now and people are getting new roofs. It will take a while for the claim?

No golf this week?

Brian, took the 38 Ocean to Jersey Cape up by the Viking Plant on Saturday. What a ride outfront of AC. Went airborn with 40,000 lb boat. Nice in air but one hell of a landing. Other boat is behind house on trailer. Still have to assess damage. Tuna in the lagoon. Moisture but hopefully no real water on first floor.

I spoke with Rick Petry in NJ today and his two cases of Hinnie survived the storm. Minus one tree but said all is well. Carlos, myself and many others are truly hoping you all land nicely on your feet!!!!

Jake

10-4 on that Jake.

Have a sister on Staten Island. She' okay but alot of damage. Spoke to Fenner. He hasn't been able to get to his summer beach house at OC NJ.

I'm on thru my Droid away from my house. My block got spared. No phones,cable vision or Internet, lost my Uncle in a car accident over the weekend right before the storm came in, one of the schools here the roof collapsed and the school Bldg is closed for the remainder of the year so there going to combine that school with my youngest daughters school which is closed all week.

A few people were killed by falling trees in the nearby towns and 90% of the people lost power. Flooding was another problem. If I had to guess this will be considered the worst overall storm in our history here.

Our Jersey shore Vacation area was devistaded. Thankfully no one in my immediate family was hurt and non of my personal property or equipment was damaged so all in all we got unbelievably lucky.

Thanks Beth and the ones who text me to see how we were doing. That means Alot to me and my family.

How bad we were hit. This # is going to go up. This is why I consider myself lucky today. Pure luck to not even have s branch fall and I'm surrounded by trees and state land that is all tree's. Someone was watching over us I suspect.

LIPA estimate: 100,000 LI-area homes, businesses devastated

Judy and I finally bought a home in the country. Well here in NJ it's the country. Closed mid August, sold our 23 yr. old house in mid Oct., and moved on up to Ringoes, NJ. On Toad Lane, feel like we now live in a Beatles song.

Sandy came through like a freight train for about 5 hours. Very strong winds, could not hear anything going on outside aside from a nearly constant howl. Only lost power for about 20 minutes and went to bed. We were lucky.

Woke up the next morning to a downed white spruce and a few topped ones. Gave me an excuse to buy a Stihl chainsaw. My nephew came down and helped me de limb, buck, and move it to the road. Rented an excavator and pulled the stump, as well as 4 others, over Thanksgiving.

Now, I've got to learn how to plant grass on the new bare spots. Should have done this move years ago.

post-170-137772442921_thumb.jpg

Nice area Rick. Looks like a great place to enjoy some cold Hineys and soak in the "Country" lifestyle. I bet your neighbors have no idea that the "Bleach Bandit" has arrived :cool-new::cool-new::cool-new:

Edited by John T

Nice area Rick. Looks like a great place to enjoy some cold Hineys and soak in the "Country" lifestyle. I bet your neighbors have no idea that the "Bleach Bandit" has arrived :cool-new::cool-new::cool-new:

Hey John,

Yeah, there's a lot more room up here. Can run the dogs off lead from the house. Little traffic on country roads. Not many people. A slower pace and lifestyle. Doesn't feel or look like most of NJ.

We did take a big hit from Sandy on my wife's family home down in Pt. Pleasant Beach, NJ. It's now a question of a major renovation, demolish and build new, or just sell as is. All tough choices.

Hey John,

Yeah, there's a lot more room up here. Can run the dogs off lead from the house. Little traffic on country roads. Not many people. A slower pace and lifestyle. Doesn't feel or look like most of NJ.

We did take a big hit from Sandy on my wife's family home down in Pt. Pleasant Beach, NJ. It's now a question of a major renovation, demolish and build new, or just sell as is. All tough choices.

Does insurance cover any of that? We vacation every yr down by seaside heights and those area's got devistated as well. I always wanted to buy a house down there but every yr we rented pretty much up. I still want to buy there one day but this storm has me rethinking all that.

Does insurance cover any of that? We vacation every yr down by seaside heights and those area's got devistated as well. I always wanted to buy a house down there but every yr we rented pretty much up. I still want to buy there one day but this storm has me rethinking all that.

John,

Odd about flood insurance down at Pt. Pleasant Beach. Premiums over the last 20 or so years would have been nearly as much as rebuilding. No, the property does not have flood insurance.

My wife's parents owned the house for nearly 60 years. The worst flooding was in the late 80's during that time, and never reached the 1st floor living areas. I remember my "rescue" wading knee deep to get them to my new '86 Subaru. Little damage, aside from some water in the garage.

Sandy was the veritable 100 yr. storm. Being said, I'd definitely look at a property built above the recent high water line. There will be some attractive deals in the real estate market down the Jersey shore in the next few years.

My grandfather was a good friend with a man who had cash and some credit during the Depression in the 30's. He started buying up distressed properties via foreclosure or owner financial hardship due to the economy at that time. Rented many, and then started selling in the early '50's. Made a small fortune.

The attraction of waterfront/shore properties will return. It's human nature and a natural playground for those able to afford a 2nd weekend home close to their primary residence.

Wait a bit, gauge the market, and find the right property at a distressed price.

Excellent advise Rick!!

I am going to consider what you said. I did wish I bought yrs ago at the Jersey shore when houses could have been had in the 130g range in the early to mid 90's then the prices exploded. My wifes family have been going there for probably over 80yrs if not longer. Generations of the Downes & the Boyd's have vacation there.

Myself going for 20 yrs now since I first got married to Kathy has made me love "the shore".Even thru storms, to me there is nothing like either being on the Ocean or a block or 2 from it. The draw for the tranquility of the ocean air and surroundings is where anywhere in the world I want to be which was the main reason I joined the Navy from 82-86.

Like many we were devistated seeing our memories of the fun times at the Jersey shore getting washed away in the hurricane... One way or another.. We'll be back and maybe I get lucky and find a place that I can afford to possibly fix it up and vaca again at "the jersey shore" to continue on our enjoyable family life experiences.

Storm or no storm-We will be back.

Edited by John T