Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

What constitutes a 'Professional' ?

When addressing others; What is professional to you?  

365 members have voted

1. 1. When addressing others; What is professional to you?

• Appeareance: Vehicles, Uniforms, Equipment
    • Skill level: Experience, Certification, Education
    • Background: College degree, Trade experience
    • Public Status: Organization(s) Associations, Affiliations
    • Corporate Status: President, CEO, VP, Secretary etc.
    • Conduct: Mannerism, Politeness, Considerate, Helpful
    • Years in Business: (specify in thread)
    • Sociability: Approachability, Thoughfulness, Conversationalism
    • Leadership: (specify in thread)

Hi everyone.

I have heard this term from many different people and it would seem that we all have a different perspective on what constitutes a 'Professional'

Websters defines professional in the following pertinant sections: 1.of, engaged in, or worthy of the high standards of, a profession.

5. engaged in a specified occupation for pay or as a means of livelihood [a professional writer]

Pro is defined as 3. a person who does something with great skill.

Professionalism is defines as 1. professional quality, status, etc.

By the simplest of terms, we are all professionals by the definitions listed above.

Although ambiguously, people refer to others as not being professional for the way we speak or act and I would have to suppose that they are going by unspoken or unwritten standards of which have not yet been discussed. Could this be a form of etiquette?

Etiquette 1. the forms, manners, and ceremonies established by convention as acceptable or required in social relations, in a profession, or in official life. 2. the rules for such forms, manners, and ceremonies -syn see DECORUM

Decorum 1. whatever is suitable or proper; propriety; fitness 2. propriety and good taste in behavior, speech, dress, etc. 3. an act or requirement of polite behavior: often use in pl.

Given all this and used as a basis for further discussion...How do we go about defining professional(ism) in our field and developing the etiquette to be applied? This could be a pivotal area for our industry to develop standards of conduct that could be applied throughout contracting...please share your opinions and facts.

Rod~

1) Appearance (personal, employees, truck and work area)

2) Underpromise/Overdeliver -- "I will use everything in my extensive arsenal to make this driveway look like new, but many times oil stains are not completely removable..at the very worst it will look far better than it does now"

3) Stay in contact with the customer (confirmation call the day before and show up next day ON TIME)

4) Tricks of the trade to look larger than you may actually be:

• Company Logo

• Company identified uniform

• Toll Free phone number

• Glossy stock, raised letter business cards

5) Proper tools and equipment to do the job properly and knowlege of their use

6) Detailed, thought out proposals/estimates with FINAL cost set in writing. No deviations

7) Always treat the customer with dignity and respect. Most contractor's have serious ego issues and will discount a customer's questions with wise remarks. The customer signs the check, arrogance may write its own check that can't be cashed.

8) FOLLOW UP: I send an after report to my commercial and residential customers alerting them to any problems I may have found. I also include a thank you note, tell them about my other services, and mention that they are added to my database and will be called when service is due again. Finally I enclose a little plastic covered "portfolio" of the BEFORE and AFTER photos of their job. If you don't have a printer, digital camera and a little experience in computer graphic work, it definitely goes a long way to get these things.

This is really impossible for me to vote on. All of the things listed have a component that leads to professionalism. Some are kind of remote, but to me there are three or four of them that all Professionals have to have.

1. Knowledge. That is what education gets you, and even though many do not have a college degree in this field, many of hte experienced people in this field have endured years of on the job training.

2. Conduct. I think that a professional is differentiated from a non professional by the attitude on the job. If there is horse play, profanity, and general nonsense going on , it does not look like anyone knows what they are doing.

3. Type of business. I am surely going to be castigated for this comment, but it is really the way that I feel, especially for those that do work for commercial enterprises. If someone is owning and operating a business full time. Contractors that are doing it full time have a lot more riding on satisfying the customer then those that have the safety net of a regualr full time job. Most of us start part time, and I realize that, but you do not get a level of professionalism until you are totally dependent on the income from your business. FWIW, there are a few that I know of on the boards that could probably call themselves professionals, even though the have a full time outside job, but they have developped their busiiness sufficiently to provide for themselves from just their pressure washing income.

In my opinion, after these three, most areas listed are a function of experience and will.

Scott Stone

I voted for most of the above except for corporate status, Years in business and Leadership. I know plenty of people who may not be great Leaders but they do top of the line work and they are not any type of corporate head. Also some people are natural learners and there better then most in a matter of no time. We all know people like that who are very good in just about everything.

As for having a part time business and not be considered professional it depends on what you consider to be part time. I know a few guys that gross in the millions with there "Part time job" and are still civil servants as there fulltime job.(Know I'm not one of these...yet:) 2 of those guys are in the construction business.

This conversation came up before and just because one does this Part time it doesn't mean that he can't be much better then the person doing this business fulltime. It all depends on the individual. There are some fulltimers in any business that do crap work and that is pointed out on our local news channels in the "Shame on you" stories that bring the crooked and corrupt contractors out for all to see.

So I would emphasize "The Individual" when it comes to "What constitutes a 'Professsional' "

We know of a person in our area who does pressure washing part time and works full time with a major corporation. From what I have heard from a couple of his customers, they feel he is a professional. To me that says that full or part time whereas this person is concerned has no bearing on his professionalism.

From what Scott and John have posted, I would say that they are on to something considering the individual persons attitude towards their business.

Could one perceive that a personal code of conduct is what separates the professional from the rest? And would you call it Ethics? or Business Etiquette?

Interesting....

Rod~

This exact question has been the beaten horse of a 'hobby' I have. Archery.

As in many sports there are professionals, amateurs, and hobbyists that participate in archery. We, as archers are constantly trying to define a "Professional" archer and the consensus over time has been that regardless of the level of money genrated by one's efforts (professional archery is not considered an especially lucrative proposition, save for a very few individuals), one's image seems the measure by which professionalism is judged. I think that this measure applies equally here.

I could be termed a professional archer by my level of participation, the fact that I have won state and placed in national level events, the fact that I own and operate a Custom Pro Shop, and that I have been in positions of management for local, regional, and national membership driven organizations. Those combined have not afforded me any significant measure of wealth in monetary terms, (quite frankly I have spent far more than I have ever made at the game) but certainly seem to fill the requisite definition(s). Besides, I(and my family) have gained far more in personal and professional relationships, visited places we otherwise would never have been, met true world class heroes, (Olympians and superstars of stage, screen, & tv, as well as American icons), and developed a mental edge that serves me well in both the game and in business. All this for the cost of a few arrows and an entry fee.

How does this answer the question??

Quite simply, it only supports positions stated above.

In anything you do... from ditch digging to running a billion dollar empire, this following rule that I wrote and live by applies..

"Professionalism is a state of mind, a code of business ethics, and a method of operation. It cannot be bought, It cannot be sold, It cannot be leveraged in any corporate stock purchase. You either have it because you live it, you believe it, and cannot fathom any other way to be.... Or you struggle every day to figure out why your competition is beating you like a drum."

Cash flow, business structure, and operating capital, has little, if anything to do with it.

Hye Cujo, you are correct for the most part. Regardless of your capital you cannot buy integrity. But, low cash flow can affect the way you are percieved. Case in point... Pull up in the Sanford and Son truck rusty and backfiring and have less than all the tools you need and your professionalism (as percieved by the customer) goes out the window.

Excellent point Ken and point well taken..

But just for the sake of argument, would it not stand to reason that your sense of professionalism would prevent you from having an appearance like that or from taking on jobs that you knew you were ill equipped to handle??

Just stirring the pot....

I guess its a fine line.. Do you wait until all your ducks are lined up before you take the leap? I would have preffered to start with a brand new truck, but I found the cleanest one I could find in my budget and ran with it. My point is, where does professionalism mesh with ego? Or for that matter, insecurity? If one is afraid to take on a job he or she knows they can tackle, yet don't have the latest in pumps, chems or gadgets is that being professional or timid? After all, I'm sure all of us have rigged together parts and pieces to finish a job or hammered a nail with the end of a wrench at some point or another. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

"Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. If you lick it once, you suck forever" <---- That is classic!

I think that a person can come across as professional, carry him or herself well, and be newer or less financially solvent. Many years ago I met and did business with a man who removes a large tree and stump from my mother's property. This man came and met with us, drove up in his personal car which was not new but was clean. He wore clean neat clothes even though he didn't have a uniform. He carried himself well, spoke clearly and didn't use slang. He took the time to listen, and to answer questions and explain things. Turned out he was a part timer, and a teacher. He worked with high school students who needed vocational training, and was very dedicated to helping young men in the community. He got the job and is one of the top people I have ever had a hand in hiring. He made sure to use the correct tools for the job, and he knew his craft.

Do I think you are less professional if you are new and don't have capital? No. But I think you have to ask the person in the mirror if you are ready for the challenge.

Beth

Being a professional certainly has a bias in perspective according to the poll.

How can we as an industry define professional to our clients and can it become a standard through out the industry?

There are some pretty intelligent minds here on TGS, lets here your ideas.

Rod~

The customer's perception of your professionalism is what matters. When I started (5 years ago), all I had was a belief in myself and my ability to do a good job. I quickly added a logo and uniform.

Confidence in yourself inspires the confidence of others in you.

These are interesting phlosophy's.

Todays consumer has been taught otherwise and expects you to look sharp, wear clothes with a logo. It has to do with their feelings of security while you are on their property. Its an acknowledgement of legitimacy to them.

Due to the number of contractors who practice less than desireable work, dress and hygiene without the thought of first impressions they will make, we are forced to raise the bar in this area to set ourselves apart from them. The consumers expectations being the determining factor in what "looks" professional.

It is understandable that when arriving to do the work, one will be dressed down and probably not as presentable due to the type of work to be performed. But the first contact is what is concidered the most important by the consumer.

I myself am guilty of showing up for an estimate in my grubbies and looking dissheveled. Our office will inform the customer of this fact that I am coming to see them straight out of the field and the please excuse the appearance as they have requested an estimate during "work hours". Many are greatful for the effort, very few have commented otherwise.

The age of the noble contractor...where has it gone?

The venture in itself has been taken advantage of by those who would exploit it for quick cash despite the impact to others they may have.

Gadgetki, Thank you for the insight.

Rod~

This is a big part of what we all are up against.

The customer's perception of your professionalism is what matters.

I find that looking at things from a customers perspective helps me to approach them in a way they are looking for. I have been a customer of other specialize contractors such as plumbers and HVAC companies.

How do you affect a postive perception in your customers? (besides vehicles, clothes and equipment)

Rod~

All i can say is that professionalisim and comom yes sir and yes mam is my way of doing things.although if ya pull up in sanford and son thell second guess.appereance and courtisy and will get you further then any thing .ive been at this for 13 yrs and have a lot of repeat clientel and word of mouth.Treat clients as you want to be treated.when people commet on your rig and trk that says something and knowing what your doing in not doing the wrong thing.But sometimes you cant please everyone no matter what ya do .We have all been i this situtation at times.Be who you are not what you aint.and honesty is number one in making it or not.

I think it really comes down to this.

Q.S.V.P

Quality, Service, Value & Professionalism

Quality - Of your work.

Service - Be there when you say you will.

Value - Price your work fairly.

Professionalism - Treat people with respect.

To answer your questions Rod.....we also implemented this past summer a Quality Assurance Department. I have 2 individuals that all they do is customer relations.

I will be posting a detailed description of the Q & A program after the holidays for anyone to implement into their business model.

Thank you Phil and steve r for your replies.

Good one Carlos,

I am sure it is paying you back quite well to extend that type of customer service.

We have something similar but not as personlized as Carlos'. Its a thankyou packet with information for homeowner tips and maintenance including a questionaire survey, a thankyou card and a nice little gift that Beth comes up with as a way of giving something back to the customer.

We receive a lot of the surveys back and we gain valuable information from this as the customer is free to list anything that they wish. It also gives us feedback on our crews performance which helps in evaluations for raises. The crews know about these and ask about them during our meetings.

Rod!~

On avg, we see about 6 out of 10 of these come back. Only problem with them is sometimes the responses are annonymous but with feedback. In order to eliminate this occuring, we have introduced a monthly drawing and the only way to get entered is to include your contact info. This still hasnt completely eliminated the annonymous replies but it has reduced them.

Rod!~

Publicly professional...here is a good set of questions to ask yourself.

Are you maintaining a favorable image?

Do you speak badly of others in public places and express your views, cuss, use bad manners while in your company uniforms?

Do you observe the traffic laws, commit to road rage, express your feelings towards other drivers with inappropriate sign language?

Do you go up to public forums and conduct yourself within respectable guidelines?

Do you know that in these forums you have an audience and that audience is capable of making a determination either good or bad by the way you conduct yourself on them?

Do you realize that people who are not contractors can read these forums and learn good & BAD by what they see posted on them?

Do you conduct professional conversations with others on the phone?

Do you realize that what you say during these conversations effects your company image whether it be another company or a friend, you are giving an image of yourself to them?

Some things to consider...

Rod!~

If one is afraid to take on a job he or she knows they can tackle, yet don't have the latest in pumps, chems or gadgets is that being professional or timid? After all, I'm sure all of us have rigged together parts and pieces to finish a job or hammered a nail with the end of a wrench at some point or another. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

If a person is afraid to take on a job, they must analyze WHY they are afraid to take it on. There are many reasons for this type of concern:

To large for my company

Don't have the right tools for the job

Don't have the knowledge/ability

Just a plain old “bad feeling” I follow my gut explicitly, never ever take this work

In my opinion, being professional, is many things. The absolute most important thing is to be honest with your potential customer, and more importantly with yourself.

I have turned down lots of work because the scope of it is too large for my "one man band". I have turned down others because of lack of the proper tools/capital to purchase the right tool. But the one that impresses customers the most is when I turn down work for lack of knowledge.

It takes some amount of intestinal fortitude to admit to a customer that you don't know how to do something. But I have never had a customer look at me with anything but appreciation for telling them up front that I don't know how. I follow up this unfortunate statement with something like "I want to be in business for a long time, and if I make a habit of taking work that I can't perform my business won't survive it." Most of the time I get a follow up call with other work in the future.

Also, as I walk through a job with a customer, I try to point out things that they may have missed seeing to help them avoid problems down the road. I always try to help them save money. As a handyman, people seem to like to try and tell me how to do my job. Many homeowners have an idea of how they want a job done.

Some want the work done as cheaply as possible.

Some explain a way that will take much too long and will cost them dearly.

A few are right on the mark, but this is rare.

Most just don’t have a clue.

How you respond to these scenarios is part of what defines you as a professional.

CHEAP: Always evaluate your surroundings. If I am called to a low income neighborhood, this is my expectation. Listen to what the customer has to say, and explain that if the work is done is this regard it will work but may fail in the future and need to be redone. I never offer a guarantee for work of this type. If a customer agrees with my way of doing something, I may/may not lower my rate in order to help them… Depends on the customer.

TOO EXPENSIVE: These are the customers I like the most. I always explain that what the customer wants will work very well, but will be extremely expensive. I proceed to lay out an alternative plan which most accept. If the customer is persistent in doing it there way, then I do it and charge accordingly. Most of the time they greatly appreciate my willingness to “lose money” by doing it my way.

ON THE MARK: No explanation… Do the work.

DON”T HAVE A CLUE: Depending on the customer, explain what will be done, and give price. Some customers have no interest in knowing how things will be done. Have to be bale to read the customer, and proceed accordingly.

At the end of the day, what makes me a pro are my abilities. Both my work skills, and my people skills. You have to be able to give a customer that warm fuzzy feeling. Having a clean cut appearance goes a long way in this regard. But I think it is more important to talk WITH a customer rather than TO, or AT, a customer.

Honesty is the best policy.

Sorry for another long post but this form of honest professionalism is the reason for my success. A person could be the most skilled craftsman in the world, but if they can’t win the customer they won’t get the work. Similarly, you can be the greatest BS artist known to man and get lots of work but your company won’t last long as the word spreads (plus I have to be able to sleep at night).

Matt Schnurbusch

ABLE HANDS

Garner, NC

(919) 696-5073