Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

What constitutes a 'Professional' ?

When addressing others; What is professional to you?  

365 members have voted

1. 1. When addressing others; What is professional to you?

• Appeareance: Vehicles, Uniforms, Equipment
    • Skill level: Experience, Certification, Education
    • Background: College degree, Trade experience
    • Public Status: Organization(s) Associations, Affiliations
    • Corporate Status: President, CEO, VP, Secretary etc.
    • Conduct: Mannerism, Politeness, Considerate, Helpful
    • Years in Business: (specify in thread)
    • Sociability: Approachability, Thoughfulness, Conversationalism
    • Leadership: (specify in thread)

When confronted with obstacles - there is a solution the professional would implement and the one the hack would implement. If you implement the professional solution more often than the hack solution - then you are on your way to being professional. And I guess throw in image, e.g. company uniforms - bright shiny vehicles, etc. I use to paint out of my neon - now I have a astro van with commercial plates, that was a big leap towards professionalism - the only thing, the more professional you get, the higher your rates get - the more you realize there are more and more people that just want the hacks.

Simply put...

A professional is a person that achieves the most in the least time.

All else is technicalities of what a perticular job title is charged with achieving.

p.s... therefore I am unable to vote in this poll..to be clear, everyones position demands image, social & conversation skill, and actual labor/duty skills...trust me I learned the deeper point of how an actual supperior result (as it relates to time) equals a professional through much delving and conversations with professionals from many fileds..trust me :)

Wow!

What a tough poll!

I'm glad multiples were allowed.

I would think a professional is one who demands compensation for a task.

I mean, there's good and bad Pro's !

It would be good to add, Accomplishes the task in a workmanlike manner,

and that would cover a lot of the other aspects...

r

Holy cow, I agree with Scott and was think the same thing when I went to check my poll answers.

They all are part of being a pro.

I’m certain that when we talk about integrity it something we all want and we believe that we are being proper.

I here to tell you that integrity it’s a moral, religious aspect of life. Yes we all hope that is it’s carried into our day to day business life. I’m not saying it’s a professional trait. I’ll admit I’m on the fence about a couple items. It’s on the fence as is the moral aspect of things. Many companies I deal with are very professional and morals issues are not even a factor for them. Phoenix is the largest per capita "grown up" clubs in the country. One of the largest clubs in the country is one of my most professional companies. I don’t mean revenue wise but they are a very professional organization and run the largest clubs in the country. When this customer called I had doubts of calling them back because I was questioning my integrity and morals. Some may say I have less integrity because I service the club industry. These clubs are clean nice and all management has degrees. They check out my credit Dunn number and requested for not three references but six. I gave them a high bid thinking they would not accept and the next thing I knew they said we came highly recommended and when can we start.

Now my integrity was in question, this club was acting better and conducted the way I wish all customer pursued contractors. Next releases for a criminal record check. I filled out the request thinking to myself why am I being so worried about servicing this client. I’m passing judgment on people for a legal business that morally I disagree with. One may start thinking too themselves if I service this place I’m condoning morally that I disagree with. If I decline the work the referral was given to me by a customer that had invested in the real-estate the place sits on. This was a southern company called the Baptist foundation. (Currently not in business) you can read the story online. They robbed old folks out of millions of dollars. Reflecting back who here has the integrity? The clubs that are legal operated for a profit and pays the bills by hard working customers that patronize.

I’m still at a toss up on the morality thing being a factor in the play of anyone’s professionalism.

This statement that Celeste made I don’t agree with totally.

Cash flow, business structure, and operating capital, has little, if anything to do with it.

I’m sorry Celeste I disagree, I’m sure that most will not agree with me. I respect most things you stand for and admire your hard work for the industry.

That statement maybe I have taken it wrong, I believe that with out those things you’re a fool. A professional educated business person requires these things.

If I wanted to hire you I would request your financials and look them over as most fortune five companies require this to be and approved vendor. Financial stability is a professional trait and is as important to me as my integrity. Paying my employees and vendors on time is a professional characteristic’s.

My third beef, don’t ask Scott about this one he may have photos of some of my trucks. Having new trucks has very little too do with being a pro. My trucks are old, the maintenance on my vehicles are well kept. Some look a little rough but I guarantee the equipment is safe and clean. Yes if you show up in a pinto and borrow a ladder to do a house wash this is ridiculous and considered not professional. I how ever can’t stand if my office help send a letter and hand writes the address. LOL

The most important thing I do on a daily basis is be fair with people and customers in my life. Practicing this is the single thing that makes me professional.

Ron, yea I believe no need to question ones own integrity regularly but maybe just a refresher course now and then..lol

In your case I would just say that everyone including thieves or scoundral deserve cleanliness..haha.. don't take that wrong now anyone. Am not calling Ron such but perhaps some his clents are.. :)

I live by the following simple statement and don't bother to jump through too many hoops of self absorbing narcism:

Integrity and character are measured when no one is watching.

I also try not to be judgemental and give that 'no one' what is already his..

I mean I am discrete and can make judgement calls as it might relate back to or on me or my business but I'll leave others sins or wrong doings beteen them and their maker...Hey look at it this way, If God wants cleanliness then I am gonna be the first one to help him out..Just don't rub shoulders as things rub off.

On avg, we see about 6 out of 10 of these come back. Only problem with them is sometimes the responses are annonymous but with feedback. In order to eliminate this occuring, we have introduced a monthly drawing and the only way to get entered is to include your contact info. This still hasnt completely eliminated the annonymous replies but it has reduced them.

Rod!~

You could code the cards. All I would do is note on the card the invoice number in some way or form. If done in a discrete way nobody would know the card was destined for a specific job. Even if they fail to fill out the "customer info" all you would do is associate the "code" with the invoice.

Professionalism to me is the mannor in which you choose to conduct yourself and your business. To look professional and BE professional are two different worlds entirely. I tend to agree that the financial end of things really plays a little part outside of being able to afford the basic tools and transportation. The small guy with working out of his pickup can certainly put forth more professionalism than the company with 30 trucks in their fleet and vice versa.

I guess with that I would say it's more about the individual(s) too. I'm all about trying to put forth a huge systematic "franchised" look in our business but if you can't match that with "above the bar" results and quality courteous people it's really not worth squat.

Ron, what are you worrying about - those chicks only take their tops off in arizona, we're not talking the full 'monty' here. I believe morals, Ron, start with choices that go much higher to the top. For instance, you may not agree with the 'club' industry - but are they harming anyone? Aren't those girls free to do that line of work or not? And if you come up with the arguement, that those girls don't have much else going for them other than to exploit their own bodies to make a buck - then I would argue with you that perhaps the leadership in this country is not doing their job in securing a healthy vibrant economy for all of our citizens - at which point most those girls would have the freedom to pursue other careers if they so choose. You could at least think of it this way -you're doing your part to at least make these establishments not 'seedy' and thus attracting the lower dregs of society.

So to sum it up: given a choice would these girls choose a different career if they had options? And if so, going to these establishments or not going has no impact on whether women turn to this industry or not - it' really just a net for women that have no real options for making money. In which case perhaps you should evaluate how your elected officials are doing their job to combat a lackluster economy.

You could code the cards. All I would do is note on the card the invoice number in some way or form. If done in a discrete way nobody would know the card was destined for a specific job. Even if they fail to fill out the "customer info" all you would do is associate the "code" with the invoice.

Thanks Greg! ;)

Great suggestion.

Beth

Professionalism to me is the mannor in which you choose to conduct yourself and your business. To look professional and BE professional are two different worlds entirely. I tend to agree that the financial end of things really plays a little part outside of being able to afford the basic tools and transportation. The small guy with working out of his pickup can certainly put forth more professionalism than the company with 30 trucks in their fleet and vice versa.

I guess with that I would say it's more about the individual(s) too. I'm all about trying to put forth a huge systematic "franchised" look in our business but if you can't match that with "above the bar" results and quality courteous people it's really not worth squat.

Thats dead on, Great post!!!

The people behind you and your business really matter. The image you build and want is what really matters.

I guess its kind of like leading by example. If your a owner that acts poorly to customers or even behind there back your employees follow your example. I often have seen this with others and then they wonder why the employee acted this way?

Professionalism is a complete package, you can have your strong and week points, we all do.

I can say knowing them trying to make the week ones stronger while focusing on the strong ones to hold you up until the package comes together.

This has been a great thread.

The more and more I think about professionalism - it's about investing your time and capital into understanding your trade, and charging correctly in order for you to 'execute' your business without endangering yourselves, others, or property. The rest is just symbolic - uniforms, vehicles, etc. Jarrod told me once, that when confronted why he was so expensive - he replied ma'am, I don't charge because I am the best - I charge in order to be the best.

And the reasons why we hate and accuse lowballers of not being professionals - because the only way they can 'execute' their business and be so cheap - is that they must cut corners, potentially endanger clients with incorrect/harsh chemicals, not have insurances, never able to afford saftey equipment. And when confronted as to why we're so much more expensive - we're confronted with the harsh reality that homeowners think since this guy is cheap - that we're just highway robbers - and have no understanding about the 'true' costs of running a professional outfit - and in order to compete - we'll be forced into the same behaviour of holding back on purchases of newer safer equipment, cancelling insurances, driving the sanford and son truck, bringing back home a salary a cashier would laugh at, etc....