Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Getting this off my chest....

Question

I've been reading alot of post on various other boards and I see a common thing that bothers me, so I want to get something off my chest.

Just because a guy has a smaller rig and equipment then yours, does not make him a low ballin, free loadin, beer drinking dummy.

Just because someone is not a member of the pwna does not make him a low ballin, free loadin, beer drinking dummy.

Just because a guy works part time, and does not do it full time with 10 employees & 50 trucks does not make him a low ballin, free loadin, beer drinking dummy.

Just because someone may not clean something the same way you do.... well I'm sure you can all see where I'm going with this.

I've seen alot of "I'm mighty & your not" attitudes and it bothers me. Everyone is talking about what they can do to better the industry, here's a suggestion, deflate some egos?

So what if a guy buys his machine from home depot? If he's just going around doing houses, why would he need a skid mounted high opressure hot water unit to clean vinyl siding???? If he has insurance, a proper license and registration with county & state, and he can make a profit cleaning houses... HOORAY! Thats great! Lets stop this "I'm mightier then thou" attitude...

Deep Breath.......

Ok I feel better now :)

This is not directed to anyone here, just something I'm notcing way to often on these bb's

32 answers to this question

well mike i am glad you feel better now.....as you probaly know we have no control over the other bb's and we dont invite those views on here either...

if you are talking about the post on the pwna...it was a obvious flame and was meant to upset some hard working people....the pwna are in a cleft stick situation as they want to be seen for what they are...a open book.....catch 22

Mike,

We know how you feel. We started with a used, refurbished pressure washer and a Nissan Sentra. Stuck the PW'er in the trunk. Rod was by no means in it for beer money, and the equipment grew over time. It takes time. Never be ashamed of your beginning. Be proud you took the plunge!

Just my .02

Beth

Originally posted by ME

My guess is he's full of it. I'd be suprised if he had anything more than an old beat up chevy and a Home Depot special

I wrote this as a rebuttal on the pwna thread that I think we are all talking about. I just wanted to clarify that my intentions for this statement were to offset the original posters boasts of arrogance and not to demean anybody with a less than "walmart size" business. With that said, I can agree with Mike's statement. My business and setup is probably 1/10th of what most have, but I'm damn proud of it!

Mike,

I started our company on a rental cold power washer, borrowed ladders from my neighbor and stuck everything in and on top ~ yes ladders also :) of a very old beat up Volvo. I remember going door to door with make shift flyers in my hand and pretty much begging for someone to give me a shot at showing them what I could do to their home. Over the years I have purchased 3 H.D. units....and still have them today. All of them work and I consider them to be very important to our fleet....nothing wrong with a H.D. unit...I use them all the time...and yes, even on homes folks....:)

Mike,

Consider this..I am considered part time in this business because I have another fulltime job...and I am on The PWNA BOD and yes I still do have a Home Depot Pressure washer in my arsenal that is a Simpson Belt Driven Model that we use alot.

Don't let what your hearing deter you one bit. What upsets alot of people is that when someone advertises that they will wash any house for $79 kind of thing and on top of that this person has no Insurance. This gives the hard working Powerwashers a bad name. That is why you see the posts about the crappy Home Depot pressure washer and the guy doing it for beer money. Just dismiss that because all these guys are doing is venting and when you think about it who can blame them.

Just keep moving on with your plans and you'll do fine.

One thing I commented on in the pwnabbs I will add here for the benefit of those who struggle with belittling comments.

Dont take it personal!

If you do, you only give it the fire to harm you and thats the persons intention.

Let it go and understand that other peoples perspectives are just that...theirs!

You are you and you are the best YOU you can be! thats good enough for me. :lgbow:

Rod~

And so what if somebody is a beer drinker? As long as it is not on the road or the job, then it doesn't matter. Depends on where they are free loading, as long as it is not my house, it doesn't matter. And the word Low balling is used so often and out of context, that we need to come up with a new word.

Many people figure that if you buy a machine from Depot or the like that you got the cheapest one and since it will not last long under hard contiuous usage that you must just be in it for the short run.

They sell some good models and some bad ones. Some will last for years of hard work, while others may not. When the subject comes up, they just assume that someone bought the cheapest they could and will wash for nothing.

Low Baller is seldom used in the true sense, but more for a quick way to bash someone.

And just because soemone cut your price in half, doesn't mean they are a low baller either. They be doing the bait and switch, they may be basing their price on volume, or they may be as fast & Furious as greased lightning, so they spend less time on the job.

I have read the threads that you speak of and see where you are coming from, but do not wory about it. Just do what you do best and drive on.

Thanks everyone. Thats one reason why I come to this BB and dont visit others that often. Here at TGS everyone seems to be down to earth and always willing to help. I guess it just bothered me seeing some of the ego's out there and I wanted to remind those who might read this thread, that everyone started out small.. and if you really want to "improve the industry", belittling someone else is not the way to do it. Thanks to Rod, Beth & everyone here for the breath of fresh air.

CCPC I was not referring to you, sorry if it seemed that way. I was just making a general observation.

:cheers:

I a'm just a small timer just trying to get things started. I am using a 3100 psi Karcher 3.1GPM cold water machine, that has been sufficient in my house washes thus far. I know that buying a bigger machine in the future with more GPM will help me finish a job in a more timely manner. It took me about 3 hours to clean a house this past Saturday, which included two sidewalks. I thought that was pretty good for a rookie with a small machine working by myself. I a'm trying not to be a lowballer, and working hard on trying to give good estimates for myself and my customers. I believe the main priority is customer satisfaction, no matter what size rig or crew you have.

Sorry to be so long winded, and I know this is not the right area to post this question , but here goes anyways. With the size of my machine, I already have 100' of pressure hose on a reel, would adding another 100' for a total of 200' greatly affect my pressure and gpm?

Hey Mike,

We all started out new and with lots of mistakes. There's a thread on one of the bulletin boards about how we all started. I started out with a small pull around rig and an amc concord. (That's like a pinto station wagon for those that don't remember them)

We all like to talk about what we have now expecially when it comes to big rigs the size of cars. (Maybe it's a guy thing) But, we all remember how difficult and painful it was to get to where we are today. Even if it's using the same setup we started with, were still kickin and cleaning.

I don't think any of us intentionally mean to put anyone down for having a smaller machine, usually people are just proud of what their companies have built up to after busting their butts for such a long time.

Things also don't always come across the same way online as they do in person!

Here is my take on this even if I did things differently.

You buy what you can afford to start out but more important is do your homework and know what you want to clean and have the proper cleaning poducts plus not only a business plan but a desire to succeed.

Remember all of us started out not knowing it all and to be honest we will retire not knowing it all.

I do sugguest getting bigger rather then smaller trailer and a hot water system since over time you end up needing both anyway but that is not meant to say you cannot start small and stay small and stil make a good living.

Besides those big boys have more headaches.

I lost a $450 roof job today to a true lowballer/idiot.2800 sq ft and the deal was done.When I arrived at the house a guy was pressure washing the driveway but I wasnt too concerned because I was there to do the roof.The woman came to the door and invited me in...to be fired.The other pw guy had been there for a hour and was just finishing the driveway(he used no chemicals)he did however use his surface cleaner, a 20 incher.The woman was explaining to me that this guy was doing the house,roof and driveway for $250.While inside I saw through the window a surface cleaner rise through the air and chuckled.The woman asked what was funny I said nothing and went to leave.Just as I was pulling off of the curb the pw guy came flying off the roof.He had been swinging his surface cleaner around lost his balance and bam.He wasnt hurt too badly and wouldnt let us call for an ambulance guess why?Yep no insurance.Dontcha just love it?

Baronas,

We understand your frustration here, but keep in mind that many prospective homeowners visit this site as well. Keep the referrences professional and respectful in content please.

Rod~

FWIW,

I started with a used trailer setup I bought from a guy who had it setup for his son to wash cars, which lasted all of one summer....lol. It had an Excell pw (B&S 7.5hp, AR pump 3gpm/2850psi w/ 25' hose), a 225g tank, small 2500watt generator, a truck tool box, and a drop cord reel. I added 200' hose, some chems, INSURANCE and went to work. SPent the first year (last year) doing cars, trucks, homes, whatever paid the bills. Did a LOT of research. And did ok for my first year part time, or at least I think.

At the beginning of this year, I added another trailer setup. 500 gal. tank, Pressure Wave pw (13hp Honda GX390, 3500psi/3.5 GPM....from Sam's Club), a 20" surface cleaner, more chems, more hose, etc.etc. Bought a hotbox back in April from our local dealer (who tried like a traveling salesman to sale me a $10,000 rig!!!!!....I told him not now, we're not ready, just the hotbox please :). Oh yeah, and 3 guys (2 full time, and 1 part time). We've been rolling pretty good this year. (And if you notice, BOTH of my pw's are what some people consider "Home Depot crap".)

I guess my point is just that we all do what we can afford. As long as your professional, in your legal business practices AND customer relations, then it doesn't matter. You wouldn't believe the morons I have seen around here this summer who just bought one of those $10,000 rigs I just mentioned....not morons because they bought them, but morons because they haven't bothered to do their research, learning, etc. (I'm sure you've seen the kind working....just like the "guy who fell off the roof" post earlier.) BTW, our local dealer finances ANYONE...lol...and last winter I saw lots of "refurbished" rigs for sale at his place....lol...I'm guessing repos. ;)

OK, post over, sorry for the long reply. Just had to add my .02

A power washer is just a machine, what you do with it is what counts!! I've got a couple home depot rigs mounted in my vans with hose reels mounted above them. They work great for your average jobs. 4 GPM is all you need for cleaning decks, it may take a bit longer than a trailer rig but they enable me to have three vans out cleaning at once.

When I get the time I'm buying a box truck to mount my trailer rig in then I'll mount my other belt drive pull around in the third van so I can have four crews running at once during pw season doing decks.

I think his reference and use of the word "ho" was actually an abbreviation for homeowner, Rod.

it was for home owner sorry for the misunderstanding saw the abbreviation before

From a new power washer type guy.

I would like to thank the members of this form for giving me some enjoyment reading your posts. I have learned much from you and this form before starting my small business. Yes, I am a part-timer, yes I like beer, yes I am in power washing for some summer fun money. No I am not a low baller. Yes, I researched and bought good (Nearly new used)equipment, yes, I am insured and have all required permits, yes I have a ladder, and yes, I even work when I am not fishing. I have not made much fun money this summer due to all of the above mentioned items, placing most of it into the business, to incliding joining PWNA. Again thanks for a great learning tool and information source. As a parting comment: Keep everything in perspective, Don't take things personal (thanks Beth and Rod) Life is really short as it is. Keep smiling. Kem (Lets go fishing)