Sign in to follow this  
Jason Reider

End of wood season question

Question

For those in the mid-Atlantic area or similar regions, when do you typically quit accepting/completing deck jobs?

I am being bombarded with quote requests, and am afraid to take them due to the recent colder weather, frost, leaves dropping everywhere and my tight schedule.  I thought about possibly offering a small discount if the customer signs a contract and waits to have the work completed in Spring of 2014.

What are your thoughts or advice.  I am still a solo operation and plan on hiring a helper for next season.

17 answers to this question

I never turn away work if it can still be done. Some people just want to get there decks and houses done this time of year which is kind of crazy but if there willing to pay for it we go out and do it as long as the weather cooperates.

Ready Seal can be put down in all kinds of crazy weather. check it out. I am doing a deck now. I might have to start later in the day but I can still make 2700 before closing up.

We have been booking next spring for several months now. You need 50 degrees during the day to seal a deck. You need those temps to strip a deck for the chems to work. You need extra time for a deck to dry this time of year too.

Beth

We stained a house here a couple of years ago right before Thanksgiving. The home owner was happy as heck we got it done in time for his relatives who came out to his house for the holiday. My family was happy as heck because we had a nice winter vacation because of it....

It was a win win. Risky of course but that's business. That house still looks good today.

Update - I offered a small discount and was very upfront about my concerns with the last 3 potential customers.  Today I received a nice email from the one customer stating she was happy that I was open and honest and that I wanted to make sure the deck was completed under the proper conditions for the best results.  She agreed to wait until the Spring and offered to pay 1/2 of the job upfront now and the other half at completion in the Spring.  This is a nice $3k restoration job that I am happy to get.

How do you feel about her paying half upfront?  I thought it was excessive, but maybe I should take her up on her offer and order supplies now before they go up in 2014.

I don't take any money until the first day of work. If the job is over 7500 I get one thrird when it's time to order product and start job. Holding half for 5 months is pretty funny?

She offered it.

Maybe take much less but make it non refundable. Nothing like a customer canceling right before you are to start that job when you booked her a half year out. Also considering she was talked out of doing it this year it would be a double wammy.

Taking a % of the project is not uncommon here. I do it all the time. Keeps my money out of it. I'd rather use their money anyway.

Being delayed a week or two due to weather, cold temps, blah blah, I am comfortable with.

Holding a % for an entire season I'm not comfortable with.

That's just me though. I mean, what if they die or something. Kidding....sort of.....

$200 nonrefundable scheduling deposit and signed contract just so everyone is on the same page.  I don't like holding money and $200 is enough for someone to think twice before throwing it away.

I didn't accept the 1/2 down they offered.  It just felt like too much, and I did have thoughts like Adrian stated above. 

I went with my standard contract that is required by Pennsylvania.  The state doesn't specify a % down for these contracts, but suggests 20% as a common down payment.

We've been scheduling Spring 2014 for a couple months now.  We take 20% down to book as well.  Things get incredibly busy very quickly.  So much so that we unfortunately lose some clients that simply don't have the patience to wait 6 to 8 weeks for service therefore the deposit separates the serious from the tire kickers.  Been doing it that way for 17 years.  I know of a few companies that take 50% down and sit on it for 4 months.

We always try to encourage a credit card for payment this time of the year though so make customers feel a little more at ease.  Rarely is it ever a concern or problem though.  Reputation goes a long way though too.

Just seems a bit un ethical to me?

Not any different than buying a ticket to a concert, cruise, flight etc months in advance.

Get in line we say.

If they don't others will and the line will be booking farther out by the time they decide to move on it.

Hold the check as a good faith down and let them know when you are buying their supplies and the check is going in.

Rod