Sign in to follow this  
RyanH

Newscrews in GA are such dorks!

Question

By the way they are covering this "Ice Storm 2005" you'd think the end days were here. Reporters are actually out in the field covering every area of metro-Atlanta (which takes up about half the STATE!!) holding their mics to the ground and stomping the frozen grass so we littlings can see the wild world out there. The area gets completely shut down and these clowns raid the stores for every non-perishable item they can get their lemming hands on. Arghh!!! No wonder you Yankees think we're such goobers down here and react to ice the way we do. Here's what the area looks like after this "ice storm."

Granted, it may be more in the mountain area; but, in the city, this overreaction is just plain goofy.

post-334-137772140136_thumb.jpg

15 answers to this question

Hey Ryan, it happens up here in DC too. The news crews love a storm, and even spend time in the grocery stores interviewing people to see what they buy. Insane. Glad this storm missed us. Ice is no fun, and it's better to avoid roads when they are not properly cared for and filled with people that never learned how to drive in it. You can't go barreling down the road in your SUV....

Worst storm I even drove in was 16" deep. The key was you do not stop the car. You keep rolling at all times. I got from a hospital home that way, about 20 miles. Got the car about 3 houses away from home before getting stuck. Car was rear wheel drive. This was many, many years back.

Beth

Ryan,

Don't feel bad it's no better in south Ga.We have been under a winter storm watch since last night.The DOT has trucks full of sand on stand by incase the ice on the road gets to bad.We have has some sleet but it melts as soon as it hits the ground.

This pic is of the sleet that has built up on the kids trampoline.

post-306-13777214014_thumb.jpg

Ice is no fun, and it's better to avoid roads when they are not properly cared for and filled with people that never learned how to drive in it. You can't go barreling down the road in your SUV....

You mean dummys like this person that thought their car was an SUV? (see photo attachment)

Some people will just never learn....

:lgbonk:

post-792-137772140143_thumb.jpg

Newspeople are paid to gain readership or those watching the news on TV, the more people they can gain the more money that station gets.

I would love to see those clowns covering one of their own snowed under or when one of them spins out on ice roads or tries to cross a flooded area that has signs saying CLOSED DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CROSS.

That is what many here in CA do when things flood, they are more blind then I am.

What really bugs me is when we get a heavy rain all those that have nothing to do just have to find a reason to leave the house and go out causing accidents.

Young and old both do it. Hey watch where you turning you dummy, can't you see the NO LEFT TURN sign? HORN BLOWS, they flip you off as if it were are fault.

Sounds like the hurricane coverage we get in florida. Every station has some poor shlub on the beach pointing to the waves and then they show a blowing palm tree. "we'll be back in 3 min with more breaking coverage here at sandy beach." Then they show him leaning bravely into the wind as they cut back to the anchor man. Makes you thankful hurricane season is only 5 months long.

By the way they are covering this "Ice Storm 2005" you'd think the end days were here. Reporters are actually out in the field covering every area of metro-Atlanta (which takes up about half the STATE!!) holding their mics to the ground and stomping the frozen grass so we littlings can see the wild world out there. The area gets completely shut down and these clowns raid the stores for every non-perishable item they can get their lemming hands on. Arghh!!! No wonder you Yankees think we're such goobers down here and react to ice the way we do. Here's what the area looks like after this "ice storm."

Granted, it may be more in the mountain area; but, in the city, this overreaction is just plain goofy.

Ryan... that is hilarious. When I was a kid, it took 5 feet of snow to get school closed up here. Now we get 14 inches they declare a state of emergency up here. HELLO... Who are the real goobers.... And the weather channel still sends people out to cover the storm. It is supposed to snow up here and we are used to it. We still bring everything to a stop when it does. Welcome to Goober County, NY

This is what it looked like at my house today at 2 pm. Has gotton alot worse since then. I'm in upstate South Carolina. hope this pic turns out had a hard time trying to resize...lol

post-855-137772140148_thumb.jpg

Aw man that's a riot. I've got something even crazier though.

Theres this event called the polar bear plunge they hold each year in the chesapeake bay to raise money for the special olympics. The dam bay is frozen! they had to get coast guard ice cutters to come in and break up the ice so these fools could jump in the 31 degree water with pieces of ice floating all over the place!

But.

I got my sweatshirt for doing it! and I raised almost a thousand dollars for the special olympics. Here's a tip for ya, don't do it. LOL

I was fine at first because the water was so cold it actually felt like I was on fire instead of being frozen into a power washing popcicle, then the water got chest deep and the water was so cold I couldnt breathe..lol Up until then it was fine

When I get the pictures developed I'll post a couple.

This is what it looked like at my house today at 2 pm. Has gotton alot worse since then. I'm in upstate South Carolina. hope this pic turns out had a hard time trying to resize...lol

Now that looks slippery. We have the opposite problem where I live. Last Saturday it snowed three inches per hour and we ended up with 13" very rapidly.. visibility was zero and the airport shut down. Then when you would watch the news reports and see what looked like rush hour traffic at every intersection. Umm, hello, the airport closes for a storm once every ten years, stay the hell home, people! Don't get me started on the clowns with the SUV's that forget its the braking and turning that their oversize, super heavy vehicles have a problem with. I saw many of them in a postion a lot like the photo above.

I grew up in New York (Long Island), Milwaukee and Nashville and now live near Virginia Beach, VA. I can tell you that the biggest reason ice and snow paralyze some parts of the country is that there are very few plows or salt/sand trucks. Cities/counties won't spend anymore than they have to for equipment that will sit idle, sometimes for years.

No one can drive on ice - up north or down south. The difference is that up north, there will eventually be a sand/salt truck come by - even the side streets.

Aw man that's a riot. I've got something even crazier though.

Theres this event called the polar bear plunge they hold each year in the chesapeake bay to raise money for the special olympics. The dam bay is frozen! they had to get coast guard ice cutters to come in and break up the ice so these fools could jump in the 31 degree water with pieces of ice floating all over the place!

But.

I got my sweatshirt for doing it! and I raised almost a thousand dollars for the special olympics. Here's a tip for ya, don't do it. LOL

I was fine at first because the water was so cold it actually felt like I was on fire instead of being frozen into a power washing popcicle, then the water got chest deep and the water was so cold I couldnt breathe..lol Up until then it was fine

When I get the pictures developed I'll post a couple.

Henry, We have the same thing up hear every year... Last year we raised 15 grand for a kid with Cancer

We got caught in Florida during 2 of the 4 hurricanes this year...Frances really screwed us up while we were shopping for a house for my father... but one thing you Florida folks have down there, is that VIPER storm radar...that is cool ... we were stuck in Apollo Beach and they were doing a live feed from our hotel parking lot....guys were getting hammered reporting next to the bay....

anyway, that VIPER is neat, how it rotates 360 degrees on all axis...

here's our "polar bear" loving the 15 inches from last week

Ryan...that's not ice....looks to be just frost on the grass :)

My point exactly.

Actually, the ice did get quite a bit worse on the trees and lines...knocked power out for most of the weekend. Roads still weren't bad, though. We went out to the stores and restaraunts that actually stayed open and enjoyed the lack of crowded places and traffic. Only had to do 4WD once and that was crossing an intersection where I didn't want to spin the back end around.