Sign in to follow this  
CCPC

pre & post service does and dont's

Does anyone have a customer hand out that defines "pre, and post service, do's and dont's" that has things such as: things the customer should or shouldn't do before you arrive, or things they should or shouldn't do after the work is completed.

Examples such as:

customers that schedule 6 other contractors for various things during the same time you are their (I hate that).

customers walking outside while you're washing their house

removing items from areas to be cleaned

suggestions to remove their shoes when entering their homes.

etc, etc.

There are many other things, but you get my drift. I'm looking to find out if any others are using these kinds of pre and post service hand outs. A lot of these things seem like common since, but suprisingly, I encounter these kinds of issue all the time.

Customer Agrees To:

1. Keep job site free from any obstructions or conflicts that would tend to interfere with the performance or work of Preferred Pressure. It is also the responsibility of the customer to ensure that children and/or pets are kept clear of the work site.

2. Provide Preferred Pressure exclusive access to areas covered by this contract during the performance of work specified in this contract, and areas to be covered are to be cleared of other workers, equipment, and materials.

3. Ensure the building doors and windows are properly closed prior to work start up.

4. Be responsible for the removal or clean up of resulting waste products on the job site, unless otherwise specified within the contract.

5. Due to the variations in construction practices, movement and settling of structures including normal wear and tear, Preferred Pressure is not liable for water seepage or penetration into the structure, or surrounding areas, or for any damage resulting from such seepage or penetration.

I'm not talking about contracts. I'm talking about somthing that makes the whole process run smoothly for me and the client. Lets face it, you can have all the "I'm not liable" information you want, but if the carpet cleaning guy shows up while you're in the middle of washing the house, or if the customer tracks chlorine through their living room, being right about the contract isn't much of bonus. The idea is to make the whole process smoother for both parties, which saves time and aggervation for both parties.

Cujo,

If #1 & #2 are verbatim, then where is my royalty check? Feel free to use as needed. That is why it is here and i would not post it and then say no.

Lance,

It is there in stated print, that you get exclusive access to the work area. If that is not understood by the customer, then add a little verbal note to emphasize this. I have not had a problem with scheduling, and that may be due to the fact that I tell people that if they are having any other services done, that I should be the last guy in and the last guy out. The terms and that statement have served me well.

And noone ever has any problems with numbers four and five being in writing? Pretending I am Joe Homeowner here is how I read those stipulations

1) If you guys spray water and it gets into my house ruining my carpet, thats my problem.

2) I am responsible for getting rid of any toxic byproducts you may use to get rid of the mold on my house.

No way would I sign that. Contractual clauses and stipulations that support negligence are rarely enforceable. You'd still be liable, so why even give the customer a thought that you are going to possibly be careless or cut corners?

I think it is up to the contractor to walk the perimeter of the property with the homeowner and point out any problematic areas and to verify that all windows are sealed tightly. Explain the process again and put him or her at ease that if any thing out of the ordinary occurs you will rectify it right there and then. I understand there are often times that the property owner isn't going to be home when work is performed so arange to meet with them the night before. I'm sure many consider this completely overboard, but I believe in above and beyond customer service. You're about to spray chemicals and potentially damaging pressure on the largest investment in this person's life. They have to live there after you're gone. Again, playing the role of advocate for Joe H.O it's up to you to make me feel confident before I hand over a signature.

Ken,

I see your point and it is well taken.

The cleanup one applies more to commercial than residential. IE: You are doing flatwork and the runoff lands in the parking lot. As the power washer, you are doing the flatwork, not the whole parking lot.

The "unknown" clause is simply that. How in the world can a power washer be expected to take liability for a previously unknown condition?

If a window is framed, sealed, and trimmed properly, it'll take hurricane force rain and wind. If it is half assed then you can spit through it. Who is to know by simply wallking by? Are we to remove trim samples on every wall to make sure it is sealed properly? Are we to physically inspect the wqeather seal on every door to make sure that there is no water intrusion? No, I think not.

Offering to take care of anything 'out of the ordinary' right away is problematic and would make any insurance guy or corp. attorney fall over and go into convulsions right there on the spot. What is ordinary? Who decides? Ordinary for whom?

Interesting topic. I for one do a walk around the structure and look for things that ultimately could be a topic for discussion after I am done powerwashing i.e. cracked stucco or missing stucco, conditionof paint, condition of tiles and etc.

I will mention these things in my contract so that customer is aware of this before I squirt water.

We also put in our contract the following:

Please ensure that ALL windows are closed during power wash evolution. I would suggest placing old towels on all window seals during the power wash evolution. Water can and sometimes will seep through the windows.

Consumer agrees to:

1) Keep job site free from any obstructions or conflicts that would tend to interfere with the performance or work of See Dirt Run! TM Inc. It is the responsibility of the Consumer to ensure that all persons and/or pets are kept clear of the work site and hereby assumes liability of any accidents or injuries resulting from non-compliance of the terms and conditions herein.

2) Provide See Dirt Run! TM Inc. exclusive access to areas covered by this contract during performance of work specified in this contract, and areas to be covered under this contract to be cleared of equipment and materials not owned by and workers not employed by See Dirt Run! TM Inc.

This is what we use to address this issue.

Rod~

In addition, disclaimers are for your protection. The rules of the epa are that the waste generated on their site is theirs until properly disposed of. They assume all liability including cleanup, transfer, disposal, and any further fees or fines from hiring someone else to dispose of it who does not do so according to epa regulation.

Hey Cujo... I see where you're coming from, but let me ask you this. In your worst case scenario water comes pouring in through bad seals. What do you do then? Point at your contract? My point is, you will rectify any situations like that if it occurs. I just think it is better to verbally explain the possible issues that can arise then do your best to avoid them. I see no problem explaining that seepage can occur. Am I wrong to assume that an experienced washer could spot possible problem areas and adjust his method of cleaning for those areas?

Commercial: If one sets up proper reclaimation, I still cannot see the validity of the waste clause.

Taking the "out of the ordinary" in context, remember you are speaking with the homeowner. Me: "If chemical dries on the glass, it will cause a haze, Mr Homeowner. We take every precaution to avoid that happening but sometimes on a hot and breezy day with direct sun like we have today it happens. We carry glass compund and will rectify that problem immediately if it occurs." That was the definition I was shooting for as to out of the ordinary. My miscommunication on not making that clearer.

Here is the point I am long winded-ly trying to make. If you cause interior damage to a person's property it's your responsibility to fix it. Why should a homeowner have to endure more contractors, higher insurance premiums and walk away with a very foul taste because of what we are doing? I thought we are offering service, not headache.

In many of these cases, the client has never been met and the majority of the conversations have been accomplished by phone. Many times I arrive at an "unseen" site to do work and since it was at the clients discretion to not be there when work begun, there is no way to assess the situation, so therefore the disclaimers are your back up.

No one starts out intending to create damage, but tempers flare when it is discovered and retribution is the first thing right after the incompetant contractor rant.

Yes, informing the client is the best thing, but in this day and age where no one has the time anymore, things get done without ever meeting face to face. I have a number of these. If they bring up a situation, I will correct it. But if they decide to be ignorant of the circumstances and try to lay blame for damage that was not evident at the time or informed of the possibility of it before hand, then I have the disclaimer to set the playing field back to level. Then a course of correction can be discussed with them.

Most of all, the disclaimers are there to stop the contractor abuse. Once the client realises that they have no case, then they are willing to work with you.

Rod~