Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Ipe deck stripping

Question

12 answers to this question

Right. The F-18 was not as alkaline, and still did the job.

I'll have to look for the brightened shot. The deck did not turn out uneven in the end, but the initiall application of brightener does show one side brightened more than the other.

Lower in alkalinity is what he meant by lower pH balance.

Many strippers are around 12-14pH 14 being the highest in alkalinity or causticity.

Causticity alone is not what does the stripping. The ability to interact with the coating and break its bond by changing the pH is the primary function. Causticity is part of it, reactivity is the other component. Not all caustics will react with a surface the same way. This is decided molecularly.

Rod~

I have heard other contractors say the HD-80 has a high furring incidence (whether true or false I cannot say as I did not witness their individual stripping techniques) Using low pressure to wash, is it fair to assume that the F-18 will have less of a tendency to furr and darken cedar?

Using low pressure to wash, is it fair to assume that the F-18 will have less of a tendency to furr and darken cedar?

Depends entirely on the dwell time and the strength of your mix. HD-80 happens to have a very high causticity because of the caustic builders incorporated into the formulation. F-18 is not quite as high on the pH level as HD-80. The most common fuzzies occur where the sealer being removed is thinner in some areas than others especially around the middle of the deck and the pickets. Decking around the rails is usually the thickest due to overspray and drips from previous application.

Here is a good rule of thumb: Too strong for too long makes fuzzies.

In all fairness to either product, if the reaction is allowed to go on unchecked, this will result in a greater chance of fuzzies.

F-18's formulation utilizes other chemicals to bring on the reaction and so therefore is easier to control. HD-80 is like its name sake acronym HEAVY DUTY! This product was developed to go through numerous layers of some of the most rediculous stuff on the market. Its action is quick and relentless. (note pic above in post #1) The right side is HD-80 taking no prisoners. At 4oz./gal, it was overkill on this test. The left is F-18, doing its job in a different way, more like finessing the sealer off the wood. At 6oz./gal, it was doing a great job.

In order to avoid fuzzies, attention to the color change should be monitored and watered down if the reaction proves to be quick in some areas by just applying a light spray of water to them. Conduct your test spots around the rail system and right under the rail cap and top of the spindles. These are the areas that will give you the most challenge, the sun exposed areas will be easier, modify your dillution to suit these areas or dont apply as heavily. Practicing this will develop the proper technique to get a great strip without making more work for you afterwards.

Regarding the last question of F-18 on cedar...our tests have not been completed.

Stay tuned for more this spring.

I have had a lesser amount of "furring" using the F18 on the decks I do, rich are 99 percent cedar. Why this is could be due to a number of factors as was stated above. The number one reason I can contribute less fuzzies is the strength of the F18 I used to get the job done.

Reed