What is the definition of a "Newbie"  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What is the definition of a "Newbie"

• Less than 2 years in business?
    • Less than 5 years in business?
    • Successful completion of 100 jobs
    • Successful completion of 500 jobs
    • Other requisites - Please explain in post

There is a statistic for new business ventures that states most new businesses that will fail do so within 2 years. Factors contributing to failure include: Poor management (money, personnel, bookkeeping and accounting A/R-A/P), Lack of a business plan, Poor discipline, economy.

Staying in business beyond that profitably for the next 3 years is a good sign of a stable business.

So, taking from the above, it would seem that the first couple of years are the most critical for most business ventures. After that, remaining profitable from years 3-5 are very important to the longevity of the business.

As far as I am concerned, making it through year 1 was tough...I considered us as a newbie during that time. In the beginning of year 2, I considered ourselves as intermediate.

Overall, year one is the newbie year, year 2 is the year you either correct your mistakes from year 1 or you dont and the business suffers.

my .02

Rod~

My take on this poll would be completion of 100 jobs. Most people are in this business part time from what I understand, and being so may only do 5(+-) jobs a month. Once you've completed that many projects I'd say you are either in your second year now or are getting good enough to not be called a "newbie" anymore.

The way i look at it is you can clean and seal JUST decks for let's say 2 yrs.You should know what to expect to do for just about any deck clean & seal jobs.Now you might not come accross to many clean and seal house jobs so it's being "NEW" to you now.

So you will learn from every job you do and the more jobs you do the easier they will get.You will learn all your tips n tricks that makes you more efficient on the projects.

I think the more experience someone gets will determine how much of a "NEWBIE" they are at that type of job.

I only specialize in restoring decks ,cedar houses etc. so if i were to start doing flatwork for example.I would be considered a "NEWBIE' at flat work.

just my .50 :cool:

In the beginners mind the possibilities are endless, in the experts mind they are few.

-Suzuki

The moment you think you are an expert is the moment you will stop allowing yourself to learn. I am one very proud newbie!

We don't know anything yet. . .

The first year or two your a newbie and during and after that time, you should have the basic knowledge and experience to handle any project you choose to take on. If your in this biz for some time whether its a part-time or full-time I think there is always something to learn and challeges to take on.

It's definately based on how many jobs you do. I've been in the biz since this spring, but I've only done a handful of jobs. As long as I keep getting nervous everytime I pull up to a job I will consider myself a newbie. I will have taken the next step once I have more jobs under my belt and build some confidence.

Barry - from one newbie to another, it's perfectly ok (and normal) to feel some uncertainty and nervousness when pulling up to start a job. What's more important is that you bring the 100% certainty to the PROSPECT when selling the job, your profession, company, and results. I'm not too far ahead of you, I've done maybe 50 houses total, so am reasonably comfortable with my chems and techniques. My nervousness now tends to come when I'm not satisfied with the degree of clean I get on stubborn stains or generally grimey concrete. Nervous that my client isn't going to be completely satisfied, mostly. The more I do the better I get at setting reasonable expectations upfront with the client...I let them know I do magic, not so much miracles.

Concrete, though, I'm finding is a challenge to develop an assorted stock of chems, the tanks/hoses/pumps/wands to apply for most jobs, and an efficient process for pulling it all together.

Just this past Sunday I had two driveway/sidewalk/carport pads across the street from one another. The first job I applied an oxalic solution to a very nasty side walkway, let dwell, then cleaned with surfacer. Looked 'ok' while still wet...vast improvement overall. On the second job, went to mix chem and realized my HD-80 was on my shelf...at home. 20 minutes later I'm back, then not thrilled with the outcome. Still shadows from the oil and trans fluid spots. Frustrated? Yes. Did I get paid? Yes. Finished up and went back to check the first job after it dried. PANIC! The side walk looked very uneven clean and chalky white with obvious surface cleaner swirls. I'm thinking "how about a sealer upsell?". Unpacked again, rewashed. What was supposed to be 1.5hrs max was now pushing 3hrs.

This newbie understands your nervousness. I heard a funny statement the other day that timid salespeople have skinny kids. Sell yourself and be Bold! It's not like they're going to shoot you.

Keep at it...