Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

What should an Org do for you?

What benefits would you seek to derive from joining a contractor's organization?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. What benefits would you seek to derive from joining a contractor's organization?

• Knowledgeable contacts with whom you can share info
    • Group insurance rates
    • Answers to tax questions
    • Legal Advice
    • Networking opportunity via conventions
    • Participating vendors that offer discounts

I have to agree with Matthew that much of the "As the PWNA Turns" should not be held in public view. It is more counterproductive for members and BOD to spend time defending than it is productive when it comes to the time spent pouring out your emotions over and over and over. My personal opinion (and I'm ducking under a chair as I type this) is that the membership should discuss moves and future plans within the org and let those who have not joined make their own decision as to whether or not to join based on announcements that are made in the PWNA forums or in Water Works.

Celeste (peeking out from under the desk)

Beth,

I agree with you that drama and debate is a part of life and always will be. I still feel that the PWNA drama and debate on a public bbs doesn't help public perception og the industry or help with the membership drive goals

Mathew,

This may be true but at the same time it's important that statements are correct. I have to believe that if anyone was making incorrect statements about our companies we would also want to correct them in the same forum they were made in. I think that's part of the reason another BBS went private, there was too much time taken in correcting misconceptions instead of pro active work.

That's why I suggested for people to get find out or get involved on their own and make up their own minds. I'm not complaining about the time or money I've invested, I'm actually glad that I found something I believe in so much that I can support in such a manner. That's why I defend it when I feel that there's been a mistake.

I like Ron and I think he's got a lot of knowledge in the industry, I just know that some of his comments were a bit off or mistated and I wanted to correct them before someone misunderstood them and took them to be true. I know he didn't set out to take shots at anything or anyone but it came across that way to me and I wanted to set the record strait.

I'm done now..

So how does it stop.... the answer is easy. PWNA members stop the debate... no one can debate with you if you don't respond, It would be like arguing with yourself. As far as non-members vs non-members debating and bashing... HAve fun!!

Mathew,

As I recall this thread was about "What should an Org.(any Org.) do for you/your business".The first reply was from a PWNA member about the PWNA specifically,then a couple posts later the PWNA advisor for this BBS/PWNA BOD member brought it up again.

So there must be members that wanted to fuel the debate by bring the PWNA into a non-related topic.

I rarely see non-members bashing each other.I really don't see where that kind of comment comes into play.

I know in the last month or so I have had my professionalism questioned because I expressed my opinions.I have seen in this thread at least one person who is apparently not being held to the same standard I was,but all is good.I am me and I won't sacrifice being honest to myself in an effort to save face for someone else.

Mathew and Celeste - I agree with you guys. Not disagreeing at all.

PWNA members stop the debate...

Hey Scott, that works both directions, don't you think? Seems silly to me to think a PWNA member would sit back and take the barrage...with nothing to say. Seems to me it is as much the responsibility of the non-member to keep things from flaring up, as the member. We are all adults after all.

Beth

So how does it stop.... the answer is easy. PWNA members stop the debate... no one can debate with you if you don't respond, It would be like arguing with yourself. As far as non-members vs non-members debating and bashing... HAve fun!!

Mathew,

As I recall this thread was about "What should an Org.(any Org.) do for you/your business".The first reply was from a PWNA member about the PWNA specifically,then a couple posts later the PWNA advisor for this BBS/PWNA BOD member brought it up again.

So there must be members that wanted to fuel the debate by bring the PWNA into a non-related topic.

I rarely see non-members bashing each other.I really don't see where that kind of comment comes into play.

I know in the last month or so I have had my professionalism questioned because I expressed my opinions.I have seen in this thread at least one person who is apparently not being held to the same standard I was,but all is good.I am me and I won't sacrifice being honest to myself in an effort to save face for someone else.

Scott... you are 100% correct. It is called fence riding - many people get involved with such debates and then hop on the fence only to ride for a while and get off on the other side.

There are issues... It was the same stuff last year... The BOD members, PWNA members and non-members get involved because they choose to be part of the drama... It is referrred to as "attention seeking behavior", noone twist thier arm to post and respond. Some have hidden agendas, others don't. It is easy to get caught up in the moment and someones soap opera (present company myself included).

Mathew and Celeste - I agree with you guys. Not disagreeing at all.

Hey Scott, that works both directions, don't you think? Seems silly to me to think a PWNA member would sit back and take the barrage...with nothing to say. Seems to me it is as much the responsibility of the non-member to keep things from flaring up, as the member. We are all adults after all.

Beth

Hey Beth,it does work both ways.If you noticed until I replied to Mathew's post above I never not one time mentioned anything about the PWNA and how it handles it's business.

I did address the legitimacy comment,because I still hold to the belief being the member of ANY Org. doesn't mean the business is being operated to the letter of the law.

Where exactly in this thread was the PWNA or it's members barraged with negativity from non-members?Was I involved and if so where in the thread did it happen?

So, in an effort to get this back to the topic at hand, poll results are showing good responses on things that one would like to see from a contractor's organization. I would also like to see a place that would provide state specific information about requirements of this profession in each state, ie, licensing, education, etc... (which I guess might fall under a FAQ in legal) as well as updates on legislation that may affect us in the industry.

Celeste

Best of luck in the debate. I will catch up with it later in the movie. Good points all the way around.

I have seen good advice offered and hopefully the "powers to be" will embrace it vs. taking it as personal attacks.

I for one have seen some individuals "true colors" really shine through over the last couple of weeks. Needless to say it has left a very bad taste in our mouth and goes to the "heart" of why this org. will continue to spend precious time defending itself vs. advancing the agenda.

Beth your thinking is very similiar to mine which is probably the reason why we get along so well. I always like to debate as long as it is friendly. I learn a ton from debating because believe me I never proclaimed that I had all the answers.

I do feel as Henry does to correct a wrong statement about the PWNA and I think we have earned the right to do so as we would with our own businesses.

What I'm reading into this is that Most bb'errs don't want to hear the PWNA BOD opinions and what where thinking. What they do want to hear is the facts and nothing else. Ok thats fair. Believe me my goal is to never hurt the PWNA in any way shape or form and maybe with me expressing my opinions I'm not doing good for my fellow PWNA members. This is why I hate politics but on the other side of the coin when in a position of leadership alot of times you have to keep your opinions to yourself because you have to take into consideration how others feel alot more then if you weren't in a leadership position.

So I will try my best in the future to pass on the facts and not offer to many opinions...Who ever said a BOD position was easy:lgkeyboar

why this org. will continue to spend precious time defending itself vs. advancing the agenda.

Carlos,

I think alot of that self-defense and posturing is unneccessary and a horrible waste of time. Take my recent posts for example. Every time I ask the question "Why should I be a PWNA member?",the conversation deteriorates into a slug fest between the pro's and con's. I'm not throwing the question out as chum. I really want to know.

So far, I have not yet heard a compelling answer. And IMHO, these common replies do not qualify as compelling answers:

"Because it's good for your business"

"Because it's good for the industry"

"Access to the BBS"

"Free magazine."

"You spend $200 on o-rings"

"discounts on certifications/conventions"

"Join and you will see"

"If you would talk less and do more for the org, you would know"

"Show up at a convention and find out"

Perhaps I'm asking too much, but what I want is meat and potatoes answers. Good for my business - How? Join and I will see what? Come to the convention and experience what exactly? Of the list above, the only moderately compelling response is "discounts on certifications". If that is all there is to it, that is fine. Just say so. But if there is more to it that that, please explain what I/we don't understand.

The NRA, AARP, ACLU, GOP, DNC, et.al. can tell you in 10 seconds or less why you should become a member. IMHO, the PWNA needs to be in a position to do the same. In 25 words or less, convince me why I should become a PWNA member.

I'm pretty sure I answered this a while ago, and the response I got was that it was not the same down in GA as it is up here.

I'm going to answer this based upon my personal experience, as simply as I can. You get out of it what you put into it. If you want to be able to show a membership certificate and use a logo then that is what it is...if you use it to position yourself among local competition, then it is a field leveling tool... If you network heavily you will see additional revenue and get ideas that no matter how smart you are, just simply would not have occurred to you since none of us can think of everything. It offers certification, education, and the chance to grow. It's the same type of choice in many regards as joining the BBB or choosing to take continuing education at a local school. Some do it, some don't, nothing wrong either way. It's just a business choice.

I'm sorry if this is not what you are looking for, but it's the best I can offer.

Beth

Philip,

"Why should I be a PWNA member?"
#1-Perhaps you should go straight to the horses mouth for that one.
So far, I have not yet heard a compelling answer. And IMHO, these common replies do not qualify as compelling answers:
#2-A wise person once told me that in order to appreciate the answers, sometimes we must seek them out for ourselves.

#3-You need to find your own answers. No one else has one for you but you.

Anyone else's answers are going to be biased and based upon what is important to them. People who have experienced the benefits have listed them in response to your inquiry, albeit the answers are short, not as succinct or as in-depth as you would like, but alas, none have met with your approval for what your business needs. If you know what the answer is, then refer to #1 for that.

#4-Lets be realistic, if you haven't found a compelling reason by now and have found nothing convincing for you to become a member, you aren't going to. Perhaps the most important thing to realize is...the reason you are looking for is not being offered at this time.

It appears from your posting that its not a good fit for you now and you do not see any potential benefit.

Perhaps it is time to step back where this is concerned, realign with the topic and contribute to...

What should an org do for you?

Rod~

I'm pretty sure I answered this a while ago, and the response I got was that it was not the same down in GA as it is up here.

I'm going to answer this based upon my personal experience, as simply as I can. You get out of it what you put into it. If you want to be able to show a membership certificate and use a logo then that is what it is...if you use it to position yourself among local competition, then it is a field leveling tool... If you network heavily you will see additional revenue and get ideas that no matter how smart you are, just simply would not have occurred to you since none of us can think of everything. It offers certification, education, and the chance to grow. It's the same type of choice in many regards as joining the BBB or choosing to take continuing education at a local school. Some do it, some don't, nothing wrong either way. It's just a business choice.

I'm sorry if this is not what you are looking for, but it's the best I can offer.

Beth

Beth,

Thank you (and the person who answered PM) for taking the time to actually formulate a response. The BBB reference was particularly helpful. I do have an additional question, but I'll post that in a seperate thread.