Sign in to follow this  
R. Williamson

Bag Of Money In A Dumpster Area!

Question

30 answers to this question

No it has not happened to me. But as I cleaned out dumpster areas this thought often crossed my mind.

I have always considered myself as a honest person, so if I said I would give it back, I'd be lying!

I would build the rig of my dreams. At the touch of a button hose reels would eject from the sides of the trailer. 2 - 7gpm Udor Super Duty Pumps powered by one 50 horse Wisconsin engine. One of the pumps would always be running, but at the flick of the switch a 12volt clutch would kick in the 2nd pump and 14 gpm would be the result. With a 60" surfacer with dual swivels for two spray bars powered by a 13 horse Honda engine, it would be the ultimate Bad Boy! With the left over money I'd buy gas for them, it would cost a fortune.

This reminds me of a time when I was walking behind someone in a mall at Christmas time and watched them unknowlingly drop a $100 bill. I quickly picked it up and stopped them to give it back. Granted $100 & $20,000 aren't anywhere near each other in value, but I tend to believe we create our own karma, fortune, luck, fate or whatever. Since in certain circumstances, proof of ownership can't always be established, I can't say that I would immediately go looking for someone to notify, but I would certainly keep my ears/eyes open for such a loss. If no one came forward, I guess I did something to create some good karma for myself!

:lgmoneyey

First thing I would do is keep my mouth shut and not tell anyone.

Second thing is to NOT deposit it in any account but use it for fun money or food paying cash.

Hey finders keepers and keep the mouth shut.

With Murphy and his darn law, the bag of money would have been placed there by the DEA, Customs, HIDTA or whatever other Law Enforcement agencies may be working in your areas, to be retrieved by a money launderer or dope dealer that is under surveillance, then you'd be on video making a pick up for the Cartel........spending the next 2 years trying to explain in court that you "had nothing to do with it" even though you didnt turn it in.........

just putting a different spin on it....LOLOL

enjoy the dreams anyway

Turn it in to whom?

I might place a small ad in the classifieds saying an undisclosed sum of money was found in an undisclosed area. All who have lost any call with exact description of both. If none came forward within 30 days, I'd be off to Jamaica or Gulf Shores, AL.

First off I wouldn't know how much is was in it because I wouldn't open it. I'd turn it over to the Police and let them handle it. Then after, I believe its 90 days if no one claims it, its mine.

Years ago my wife and I were walking into the theater and I picked up a money bag by the curb. It was laying open like it had fallen out of someones car when one of the kids got out. Anyway I didn't even look in it. I saw it had bills and reciepts inside I zipped it closed and turned it into the manager. When I checked later he had called the police and said the owner had returned, to claim her bag of money. Turned out it contained the daily take from a local hair saloon, she discovered it missing when she stoped at the Bank to make here deposit.

Maybe I'm just ol fashioned or too honest, but thats how I would handle that.

Sticking to the scenario of the initial question. If it was in a garbage dumpster, logic would dictate that whoever put it there did not want it. Another persons trash is someone elses treasure!

Rod~

Lets remember here that this is using our imagination, not robbing little old ladies of the pension funds! If I found a deposit bag in front of a biz of course I would not keep it. Lets put this into perspective.

What goes around comes around. If I could not locate an owner, then once it was mine I would donate a portion of it to a charity. The other part...I can think of a long list of things to do.

Beth

Sticking to the scenario of the initial question. If it was in a garbage dumpster, logic would dictate that whoever put it there did not want it. Another persons trash is someone elses treasure!

Rod~

Logic would dictate that no one would throw it away in the first place. :lgbounces

Logic would dictate that no one would throw it away in the first place. :lgbounces

Your premise is that people value money above all else and , while the argument is logical, it is not sound. I've actually thrown away checks and returned cash given to me by people from whom I didn't want anything.

Who knows...the person who threw it away could have won the lottery and encountered endless badgering from friends and family about how he should spend it or give it away. All he used to love is now demeaned by this thing called money. Consider: if every relationship you cared about was destroyed by something, wouldn't you want to part yourself from it? Perhaps you can think of something better than a dumpster (charities, like Beth suggested), but in a depressed state, can you think of a more symbolic way of cleansing yourself of such a burden as to "throw it away?"

:yoda:

What about a drug dealer running from the cops, he ditchs it in the dumpster area to return later to retrieve his loot? To find it gone!

Drug dealer running from the fuzz = Possible life sentance in jail

Dropped loot in dumpster area = desperation

Pressure cleaner finds loot = priceless

Maybe it was from someone who was filthy stinking rich and like to go placing random bags of money in dumpsters as an act of kindness? Maybe the rich person started out in refuse collection...

Beth

Man you guys all make me look bad without even saying my name or hinting I might be a crook!

I have found wallets, purses and other things and do turn them in but a bag of 20Grand?

I suppose it would make no difference if it was in a brown paper bag or money bag or one of those bank deposit bags with a lock on it to you.

Sure if it was a money or bank bag common sense says the manger dropped it, but a plain brown paper bag I think I would let me consious decide and knowing I am not a thief or crook would call the cops but what do you think they would do with it?

Law here says if you found that pot of gold, went to the police station (not call them to you, you must take it there) and after so many days if no one claims it they it is yours. (not sure if it is 30 days or longer but there is a time frame.)

ok, I might take the bag itself to the police station and see if they can pull a viable fingerprint off the zipper or bag and identify the last person to handle it. Of course, there are some assumptions made there, but there's a high chance that the owner of the bag will match up to the prints.

As a side note...this is a good example of a biased schema. The whole time I was thinking money bag as in a cloth sack full of money, not a deposit bag that businesses use.

If twenty grand was in a dumpster wouldn't it have had dubious origins to begin with? I never carry a bag of cash with me when I take out the trash. I'd keep it. If I found it outside of a business or lying on a curb I would turn it in. I would first check it to see if it came from a business (receipts, deposit slip etc)

Your premise is that people value money above all else and , while the argument is logical, it is not sound.

My premise is this......People don't logically throw anything of value away. Whether it's money, new clothes, a bag of groceries, a baby, etc. The key word here is 'value.' Things have different value to different people, as previously stated. Since we happen to be talking about money, it seems easy for you to draw such conclusions since many people do put money above all else. However, I'm not one of them. If that were the case, I'd be out making more money instead of spending time fooling around with this trivial thread.

:lgbugeyes