Sign in to follow this  
Crownroyal

Started a new company 6 months ago now I have some ?s for the real professionals!

Most, if not all the products on the roof cleaning market are sodium hydroxide based if not sodium hypochlorite (bleach/chlorine). I prefer chlorine. After all, what's growing on the roof? A form of algae and chlorine kills algae. Sodium hydroxide will kill it also but being a form of degreaser and the fact that most shingles are made with petroleum, it only seems practical to use the chlorine.

When cleaning roofs, we use a 12 volt ShurFlo pump to apply the chem at about 45-60 psi. Once the roof is clean, we rinse with a garden hose, so as not to dry the shingles out from the chlorine (salt).

The less pressure on a roof, the better!

Ditto everything Don said...I'd lose the shingle coating, unless you're making good money as an add-on with it. Basically, when you're cleaning with chlorine, you're killing every bit of algae on the roof. You're starting fresh. It took at least several years for that roof to get nasty, so doesn't it follow that it will take several more years to get nasty again?

I don't want my customers' roofs to stay clean for 20 years, or even 10. I want repeat customers, within a reasonable number of years.

I also question the effectiveness of any spray on coating as far as mold inhibition. How long does that stuff really stay on the roof inhibing mold. Years? I really doubt it.

Chlorine is, in my opinion, the easiest and most effective way to clean a roof. As Don mentioned, Sodium Hydroxide is a degreaser, and I don't think we ought to be coating an asphalt shingle roof with a degreaser.

Shingle Care is good, and so is Shingle Guard from 3M (but this one has to be reapplied 2x a year). We usually try to sell a roof maintenance contract (we clean, apply the coating, then reapply every six months at a reduced rate of course for the length of the contract....typically 2-5 years depending on the clients).

I think these "roof systems" are a bunch of horse manure. I would love to here a of a reliable source who has done a time tested experiment with using a so called roof sealer coating compared to a thourgh cleaning with sodium hypochlorite with no so called roof coating and see if there is any substantial difference between the amount of time they stayed algea free.

Shingle Care is good, and so is Shingle Guard from 3M (but this one has to be reapplied 2x a year). We usually try to sell a roof maintenance contract (we clean, apply the coating, then reapply every six months at a reduced rate of course for the length of the contract....typically 2-5 years depending on the clients).

If the customers want a roof to stay clean for years, and are willing to pay to have a roof coating applied once or twice per year, why would they be opposed to having it cleaned every 2-5 years instead? I can't see that it'd be cheaper to coat the roof 1-2 times per year than it would be to clean it every 2-5 years. If anything, I would imagine it would be more expensive. I can clean a typical walkable roof on a 2000 square foot house for around $200.00, in 2-3 hours. Worst case, if they have it done every 2 years, that's $1000.00 to keep it clean over a span of 10 years. If you coat it twice a year, that's $50.00 per application to stay competitive with the price to clean it. I would guess the re-treatments are a good bit more expensive than that?

It's not about the long-term cost.....it's about the perception. Some people feel better when they are "maintaining" something....rather than paying for cleaning over and over again. You're right......cleaning would be cheaper in the long run, but it's all about what makes the customer happy ;)

In business, it isn't always feasible to the most economical thing, rather the perceptible thing is the best path to follow.

It's not about the long-term cost.....it's about the perception. Some people feel better when they are "maintaining" something....rather than paying for cleaning over and over again. You're right......cleaning would be cheaper in the long run, but it's all about what makes the customer happy ;)

In business, it isn't always feasible to the most economical thing, rather the perceptible thing is the best path to follow.

I have to spend extra time on estimates to re-educate customers on the stuff that people like you are trying to feed them. No offence, but your basicly admitting that you take advantage of your customers by selling them a fluff service.

Do you try very hard to tell them that it'd be cheaper to just clean it when it gets dirty rather than blowing money on BS coatings that likely aren't any more effective than regular cleanings?

I agree with CCPC...people selling services that aren't necessary wind up damaging this industry.

There is a manufacturer, here in Florida, that sells a chemical which will keep the roof clean for 2 years after it's application.

(They even put it in writing.....the guarantee that is).

Infact the only reason that they pressure clean a roof prior to applying the chemical is b/c it would be hard to sell the idea that your roof will clean itself within a year, we promise. (customers want an immediate effect)

The truth is, if you do the math, that it costs more to have it applied and then reapplied every two years then it would be to pressure clean the roof.

The only advantage to this is that a customer may want his roof to remain totally clean and to reduce the foot traffic on his roof, since it's quicker to apply the chem, by only having someone up there once every two years.

The only other places where this solution may be feasable is in the even of multiple highrise apartment complexes, country clubs and golf courses........where working for 10-14 hours a day is not possible and a quick solution is necessary.

There is a manufacturer, here in Florida, that sells a chemical which will keep the roof clean for 2 years after it's application.

Not sure who you're referring to, but the people who sell me the chem that keeps roofs clean for 2+ years is Pinch-a-Penny pool supply....And their chemicals are a lot cheaper than Roofacide.

Not sure who you're referring to, but the people who sell me the chem that keeps roofs clean for 2+ years is Pinch-a-Penny pool supply....And their chemicals are a lot cheaper than Roofacide.

That's exactly who I'm referring to....Roofacide.

I once considered the chem but never went for it.

That's exactly who I'm referring to....Roofacide.

I once considered the chem but never went for it. I just can't bring myself to sell it with a straight face.

I think anyone who buys into that stuff is crazy...Paying that kind of money to be able to buy your chems from this guy, and then trying to tell your customers that:

1. It's bad to put chlorine on the roof

2. Our solution will clean your roof in a few months, and keep it clean for a couple years

3. If you don't want to wait a few months, we'll be happy to clean it with chlorine like the guys do who we say are damaging your roof.

They misrepresent the dangers of chlorine, despite the recommendations by shingle manufacturers to use chlorine. Crazy

My problem was the following: the price for one (although I must admint that the more expensive something is the more likely that people will buy b/c they smell exclusivity and quality)

Secondly the pump issue. I was told that I had to get a special pump b/c the one I had would corrode in no time. So I asked if it corrodes the metal in the pump, then what does it do to the nails that hold the tiles down ?(both asphalt and cement) Oh!, it doesn't hurt the nails. (I didn't like this answer)

They promote this for many applications..........cement tiles, asphalt tiles, sidewalks etc.

The third thing that made me pass was their refusal for me to test the product.....they wouldn't give me a gallon, or even a cup of the chem so that I could test it....They wanted me to buy in and then I could have it.

To me, if a company stands by their product then they're not so secrative about it.

Maybe the fear was that I would have the chem annalized and then manufactured myself.........if so then why couldn't I do that after a $2500 buyin? (that's just a buyin....without their rig and setup)

NOTE: Please note that everything I have expressed above is true to my knowledge and is based on information I've gathered from my meeting with a couple whom represented themselves as the chemical's manufacturer and owner.

This afternoon I was contacted by a gentleman, who claims to be a partner of this "Roofacide" chemical company, and after a lengthy discussion, it was brought to my attention that my information on the substance (and hence the company) were ill informed and incorrect. According to this caller, the original meeting that I attended were held by 'cons', or someone posing to sell the real thing, "Roofacide".

To my understading, from this phone call, my research was not thorough enough and my opinions were based on false information which in turn exposed my ignorance ragarding this product.

Therefore, I think it suffices to say that I can neither validate nor deny the truth behind this "Roofacide" product.

I ask that those of you who read my posts, within this thread, come to no conclusions based on my comments, but rather encourage you to do your own research if this is something that you may be interested in.

I don't feel that I've bashed the company in any way, but rather have expressed my, very own, personal opinions based on my, very own, personal experience (which may have been inadequate). If so, I hope that someone will do my justice by clarifying things for me.

For those of you who are further interested in this product read the following post: http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5239. It is quite informative.

Thank you.

Maybe the fear was that I would have the chem annalized and then manufactured myself.........if so then why couldn't I do that after a $2500 buyin? (that's just a buyin....without their rig and setup)

First off - it's $25,000 - not $2,500.

Our only "Fear" is getting involved with people that have no business experience, no qualifications, and very little chance of being around in 2 years. People like you and CCPC have no idea what you are doing and you bring the public's perception of the industry down. You buy $20 worth of bleach, apply it with an $80 pump, compete solely on price – and wonder why you can’t make a decent living. Open up the Palm Beach Post and take a look at the number of ads that have roof cleaning starting at $99.00 (here’s a good one: Derek’s Pressure Cleaning Special, 1-story $125, 2-story $150 • Price includes roof, walls, driveway, patio). This is the market that people like you help create.

Also, you girls miss the whole point behind what we do and it constantly amazes me how you don't mind telling the world what a “scam” we are simply because you don’t understand it and you can’t afford it.

When we come back to a roof after 2 years, the roof is still clean and the preventative algaecide application takes about 25 minutes for a 3,000 sf roof. That's the benefit. As you two are spending 2-3 hours and killing everything in sight, our guys are charging the same amount of money and they are finished in a fraction of the time with less foot traffic on the roof, no toxic chemicals, and no plant damage. This might not mean much to you, but it does to a lot of other people.

I know it's a little out of your scope, but if you ever get the chance to do more than one house at a time, you might consider the environmental impact of spraying 20-30 gallons of chlorine per house on a community of 200-300 houses. A lot of people that we deal with don't want thousands of gallons of chlorine dumped on their property.

And we do give out samples; we just don’t give them out to every Fly By Night “contractor” that asks for them. We only provide them to companies that have an established customer base and business reputation. The fact is we really don’t want to be associated with people like you. Typically, you are just making enough to cover beer money and rent - and you'll be out of business in 1-2 years. In the interim, you'll drag prices down and make it harder for legitimate companies to charge a decent wage.

“When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail”

JMBrowne,

Also, you girls miss the whole point behind what we do and it constantly amazes me how you don't mind telling the world what a “scam” we are simply because you don’t understand it and you can’t afford it.

Please edit your post.

Keep it clean and professional w/o any derogatory remarks.

Rod~

First off - it's $25,000 - not $2,500.

People like you and CCPC have no idea what you are doing and you bring the public's perception of the industry down. You buy $20 worth of bleach, apply it with an $80 pump, compete solely on price – and wonder why you can’t make a decent living.

Ouch, that statement can't possibly help your sales.:lgkick:

These guys have helped me immensley as have alot of these "smaller" firms on this forum.

I personally think they are a credit to this industry.

What works for you works for you. But, you can't assume that they are not making a decent living doing what they do.

I cleaned a funeral home / crematory that was caked with black charred soot of human remains from the smoke stack and years of the usual algae/mold buildup with 12% SH over almost 4000 s.f. roof almost 2 years ago. Applied with a 20.00 sprayer and about 5 gal ( @ 1.40 per gal.) to cover entire surface.

The manager has not had me back since. Not because of bad business relations, but, because the job came out so well that it simply does not need cleaning again!!

If I needed my roof cleaned ( nicest looking roof on my street ) I would prefer instant results the day of the cleaning (of course, that's just me), not pay for a service or product with the backing of "let a few months go by" before I saw any results, and the contractor was long gone with my denero.

Plus I am sure that these guys know pretty much what they are doing or they would not be in business as long as they have been.

Normally I would not chime in on a thread as potentially harsh as this one has become, but I feel that I have to come to my "Buds'" defense and say that I have to agree with Rod and keep it clean and respectful to the others that I am sure are working so hard to be a plus for this industry.

Our only "Fear" is getting involved with people that have no business experience, no qualifications, and very little chance of being around in 2 years. People like you and CCPC have no idea what you are doing and you bring the public's perception of the industry down. You buy $20 worth of bleach, apply it with an $80 pump, compete solely on price – and wonder why you can’t make a decent living. Open up the Palm Beach Post and take a look at the number of ads that have roof cleaning starting at $99.00 (here’s a good one: Derek’s Pressure Cleaning Special, 1-story $125, 2-story $150 • Price includes roof, walls, driveway, patio). This is the market that people like you help create.

I'm sorry, have we met? You feel as though you know me, and know how I run my business. I still say your roof cleaning system is a rip off. Oh, and by the way, I have a roof cleaning special going on now through the end of Jan.

Any Roof, Any Size: $29.50

Beat that Mr. roof cleaning distributor scam artist man.

I'm sorry, have we met? You feel as though you know me, and know how I run my business. I still say your roof cleaning system is a rip off. Oh, and by the way, I have a roof cleaning special going on now through the end of Jan.

Any Roof, Any Size: $29.50

Beat that Mr. roof cleaning distributor scam artist man.

We're doing them for $34.95, but that includes the house, gutters, windows (inside and out), driveway, sidewalks, curbing, landscaping stones, any vehicles are RVs they may have, all the patio furniture, pool deck, screened enclosure, decks, playground equipment, patios, and for an additional $5.00 we'll mow their grass and trim their hedges (little do THEY know that it's WINTER, and we won't really have to cut the grass or trim the hedges...a little extra PROFIT center here).

The letters just went out today, can't WAIT for the calls to start rolling in!!!!!

Ha...I have both of you guys beat.

We are offering $9.99 any size house.We don't even take the rig we just use the customers garden hose and plain old water. There is just enough PSI to knock down the heavy stuff and we can be done in 30 minutes. We can do 16 a day,man we are rolling in the $$$ now.

We all need to get together and have a party.BYOB of course,I need to buy my beer and still have enough left for rent.

As a general reminder, all users and BBS staff are expected to refrain from:

• bashing
  • flaming
  • personal attacks
  • using profanity
  • taking pot shots and jabs or little inuendos.

:lgangry:Any of the above behavior will not be tolerated and may result in a loss of forum priviledges.

Thank you for your professional participation.

Beth & Rod

Administrators