Sign in to follow this  
desi

using a 55 gal barrell for a water tank

If you could, please advsie me on how to turn a 55 gal drum/barrell into a water tank. Of course, I will use a 3/4 inch fitting to supply water from house and a 1 1/2 inch fitting to supply water from tank to pump. Mu question is how to best build these two fittings.

thanks

You can buy and install a flange and lid to make access to that drum like any normal tank. Then you can install a float valve.

What kind of machine do you have, and where will the drum be in relation to the machine?

Pumps have a 1/2" intake, and a 1.5" hose is just way to much. You will be fine with 1" and you need that drum higher as it needs to allow gravity to get that water to the pump. I recall you had a direct drive unit, and that will need to be flooded on the intake as they do not pull water as well as a belt drive.

I was Just wondering since I am putting together a new rig this week, can I put a small gas powered pump from my suppy tank to my water filter to my unit?

Ive had problems before using my direct drive units with natural gravity not priming up all the time. drives my nuts lol

Does anyone have a few pictures so I could see how to hook my tank to a filter to my unit?

Mel E. my rig is something like yours can I give you a call sometime to ask a few ?s

I was Just wondering since I am putting together a new rig this week, can I put a small gas powered pump from my suppy tank to my water filter to my unit?

Ive had problems before using my direct drive units with natural gravity not priming up all the time. drives my nuts lol

Does anyone have a few pictures so I could see how to hook my tank to a filter to my unit?

Mel E. my rig is something like yours can I give you a call sometime to ask a few ?s

You can use a 12v shurflo pump to force feed the machine.

I have two sizes 4' and 6'. I can of course make shorter connections but I'd like to use some type of removable filter if I could. (Know of a quality filter?)

I use a 2" ball (valve) with a 3/8" reducer to a 4' hose to my cold water units.

I have very little pressure out of the 200' of pressure washer hose.

If you used a sureflow, it would need to have at least the same output as your powerwasher, if not a little more.

Do they even make sureflows 4gpm and above?

Tony I dont think they do make a sureflow 4gpm unit.

What seems to be the best way to set up your tank to a filter to your unit?

Any ideas? Does everyone use waters natural gravity to feed your machines?

Thanks

Dan

Look to 12 volt Jabsco pumps for higher output. I have one now that delivers 6GPM. I bought a commercial fishing pump from Surflow that has two pumps with one motor that delivers 8 gpm at 50 psi. It is not available at regular boating shops but I got it through a dealer in South Jersey.

What is "a 2" ball joint with a 3/8" reducer to a 4' hose "? Are you using a 2" x 3/8" Bell reducer and a 4' diameter hose or a 4' long hose? What diameter hose?

Douglas Hicks

General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc

I will use a 3/4 inch fitting to supply water from house and a 1 1/2 inch fitting to supply water from tank to pump. Mu question is how to best build these two fittings.

We used PVC fittings which work quite well. The nice thing about them is if you use the slip fittings and just apply pvc glue (wear a respirator when using this stuff!) and slide the pieces together and hold for a minute, then install. I would include pics but the connection is currently under a custom made box with a drawer I built to cover the plumbing and provide useful storage space in the location.

Rod~