Sign in to follow this  
squirtgun

Scary

Question

20 answers to this question

Thats pretty ridiculous, the price and story. Some people are out there and some are way out there.Then again some might just be able to pull a story like that off and reap the rewards,are they out there or smarter than me?

Richard

Personally, I think it's brilliant. He created a supply and the demand for it. If people want to believe in haunted plush toys and are willing to part with their cash to get one, so be it. Not much more ridiculous than paying a few hundred for a Furby, or trekking across Canada to buy your girlfriend a "Maple" beanie (for $200)

FWIW, a time machine sold on ebay a few months ago. 6k IIRC. Looked like a toaster and some meters glued together. Had a very nice engraved plate identifying it as being created in 2149.

Philip

Hey...didn't that time machine have a cameo in Napolean Dynamite?

Sounds like he took Stephen King's "Monkey Shine" and changed the characters a little and threw in a little Wes Craven flavor.

A fool and his money are soon parted, as they say.

I'm with philip...good marketing!

some loser trying to get rich quick. I imagine he is the one that put the bid in as well.

Maybe a loser, but a loser with an easy, and legal, sale of $11,100. (If in fact someone actually paid for it)

I have a water faucet in a bathroom in a part of the house neither my wife nor I ever use. Every once in awhile we'll walk upstairs and it'll be running fully open. No joke. With no one else in the house, we can't figure it out. I'm just at the point where I walk in there, turn it off, say to whatever did it to "knock it off or I'll leave all the lights on" (since ghosts don't have functional eyelids and sleep would be a b*tch afterall). Supwidat?

Hey Ryan,

That would not be in your New Home, would it? Who is afraid of ghost? My grandfather always said " Do not be afraid of the Dead, Its that Living ones that will do harm to ya".

DeGraffreed

Degraffreed

Hey Ryan,

That would not be in your New Home, would it? Who is afraid of ghost? My grandfather always said " Do not be afraid of the Dead, Its that Living ones that will do harm to ya".

DeGraffreed

Degraffreed

No. New home is still under construction. I'm finding new errors everyday, including two major structural deviations. The builders are going to hate me when this is all over!

No, house we're in now is 1960's. If this is any indication....there not one scrap of plywood to be found in it! Wish I could say the same for the new house......

This may seem silly to debate but c'mon..marketing? Any one of us could just as easily make an old lady believe $3000 is the going rate for a 300 sf deck. Is that marketing or taking advantage of someone? I know one could say, "hey if someone believes in this crap and wants to pay for it, more power to 'em" Morally, it's wrong. If also you look at the people bidding on this possessed toy, they have no history on Ebay (fraudulent). Not only that, the guy says he wants it gone, but hasn't been able to dispose of it. How does he figure selling it will change the inherently evil boomerang effect?

If you justify the selling of this thing to someone as clever, your moral philosophy is a litle questionable. It's okay to take advantage of someone less smart or emotionally stable for the sake of profit?

No. New home is still under construction. I'm finding new errors everyday, including two major structural deviations. The builders are going to hate me when this is all over!

No, house we're in now is 1960's. If this is any indication....there not one scrap of plywood to be found in it! Wish I could say the same for the new house......

When they're not there go in and leave a sticky note, for them to find the next day, on everything that you don't like.

Structural deviations are easily fixed with a pry bar and a twenty pound sledge....after that you leave another sticky note in it's place. (Anything less and they'll take you to the cleaners)

Trust me...they'll get the message.

If you justify the selling of this thing to someone as clever, your moral philosophy is a litle questionable. It's okay to take advantage of someone less smart or emotionally stable for the sake of profit?

I agree, it is not morally right to take advantage of the less fortunate. However, but I do make exceptions for the patently absurd. Buying the Brooklyn Bridge, Eiffel Tower, time machines, and yes... Haunted Plush Toys.

I also see it as very different if you are in the home of an elderly person where your mere presence may be intimidating, your sales pitch pressured (in their opinion), etc. It's a whole different animal to post an item publically where people bid from home (zero pressure), have an opportunity to discuss and research the item, and (this is important) make it clear that there are no guarantees that the item received will in fact be haunted.

"hey if someone believes in this crap and wants to pay for it, more power to 'em" Morally, it's wrong.

Not neccesssarily. There are MANY things that people believe in that I personally think are crap, but these things bring them peace and joy. People pray to all manner of gods, spirits, and objects. People get relief from placebo's in a medical test. I personally find professional wrestling to be a complete waste of time. But there are many people who want to believe and are willing to pay to experience the event.

Bottom line, if you promise X and never intend to deliver that is clearly fraud. However, if you simply offer "This is my experience and YMMV. No guarantees. Bid what you think it is worth." IMHO, it's a different animal.

Check out the winning bidder's feedback...It appears he decided not to pay $11,100.00 for a stuffed toy!

...and if you look at the bid history it looks like the highest legit bid was $400.

just my two cents. i happen to live in Orlando and if he was travelling from diney world to daytona or vice versa i believe it. There is a town by the name of Cassadaga half way in between if this mans family stopped there i will totally believe the story. I went there as a high schooler and it was crazy. There are psychics or as i like to call them psychos all over the place. I kid yall not they knew all my friends names when we got there. they had a hotel that we stayed at and heard sounds all night long, therefore we just stayed up all night drinking. That place is all over the web and is very believable from the hotel to the psychics to the haunted graveyard. I'm a definite believer.

In the end, we believe what we want to believe. I watched a show where ten college educated people who claimed to have an open mind to the paranormal were all asked to see a psychic. Before any of them was seen by this lady who admitted to have no psychic ability whatsoever, she wrote a generic life outline and predictive outcome speech. She quoted it verbatim to each of the ten participants. The outcome?

Every single one of them were blown away by how "on the money" she was with their personalized fortune telling. Ten people all having the same life circumstances? Not likely..Their only commonality was the willingness to believe. When desire meets opportunity, you get a sale every time.

In the end, we believe what we want to believe. I watched a show where ten college educated people who claimed to have an open mind to the paranormal were all asked to see a psychic. Before any of them was seen by this lady who admitted to have no psychic ability whatsoever, she wrote a generic life outline and predictive outcome speech. She quoted it verbatim to each of the ten participants. The outcome?

Every single one of them were blown away by how "on the money" she was with their personalized fortune telling. Ten people all having the same life circumstances? Not likely..Their only commonality was the willingness to believe. When desire meets opportunity, you get a sale every time.

Maybe so...there are some things I know are real, and others I am not so sure.

Here's a strange twist...I was listening to Coast to Coast (art bell) with George Nori last night while driving back from my Burger King job. I don't typically listen to this show, but it can be interesting to hear all the nutty stuff people come up with. Anyway...They were talking about these strange looking rodent like creatures people had been seeing, and how they might be from another dimension or aliens...One lady described them as looking very similar to the stitch character. Just a bit strange.

Yes, we believe what we want to believe....but that doesn't necessarily make what we believe wrong. Are there spiritual things going on in this world? Yes, I know that for a fact. Can I prove it to you? Nope...I only have my own experiences to go by, and me telling you what I have felt or experienced doesn't make you feel them or experience them. Are there things we just don't understand? Of course.